Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 - Blue Screen: "Critical Process Died"

• 24-11-2019 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Yesterday, I installed a driver update for my GeForce 1070 card. I had to do it in Safe Boot mode coz it wouldn't install in full boot mode. (I had to System Restore to 22/11/2019 to first uninstall it and then reinstall it via Safe Boot.)

All went well after that.

I booted up the computer today for the first time since that driver update and I got a Critical Process Died blue screen.

1. The automatic repair isn't working.
    2. System Restore isn't working. It won't allow me to check the box next to C: drive. So, Next (to complete the system restore) remains greyed out.
    3. In Advanced Options, I also tried sfc /scannow, but after it ran I got the message, "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."
    4.Via Start-up Settings, I cannot seem to be able to boot in Safe Mode in order to run scannow again.

Pretty much all I can access with Advanced Options is the command prompt window.

Is there command that I can type to reboot in safe mode and try the command prompt sfc /scannow again?

Any other suggestions.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Ps.

I tried this command with the command prompt window...

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

I got the message that it completed successfully.

So, I closed the Command Prompt window and clicked Continue.

But, Windows wouldn't start in safe mode. I got the Critical Process Died blue screen again, and just Restart or Advanced options.

D.

I can access the Registry via Command Prompt.

If I could fix the greyed out Next button issue in System Restore via the Registry, I might be able to fix this.

But, how?

This is truly a nightmare.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Once in CMD type:
    start msconfig
    or
    msconfig.exe
    In System Configuration window, Boot tab tick Safe boot
    Windows will load in safe mode after restart, until you revert changes (!!)

If you want to check if graphics driver causing issue select Base video box

As for Restore points - greyed out usually indicate is disabled or non available.
    You can see list of available by comand:
    vssadmin list shadows

Hi Smuggler,

In Command Prompt...

a pop-up window says, Windows cannot find msconfig. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again.

and...

msconfig.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Someone mentioned something about creating a Media Creation Tool and booting via that? Using F2 on boot-up, I can access any of the drives and boot via them.

Would an MCT work? If so, how would I create it?

Many thanks.

D.

Ps.

If I choose Start Up Settings in the blue screen Advanced Options, I get the usual list.

I am prompted to Restart and then choose one of them.

If I choose Enable Safe Mode after the Restart, it just restarts to the Critical Process Died blue screen.

Ouch!

D.

• Advertisement

If loading with Base video still gives BSOD, you might need to repair Windows. This where bootable USB will be needed

Is this same machine you had cleared C: drive to free up space?
    Did you reduced % alocated for system restore? I think I have mentioned that you gain one at the cost of the other - oldest restore points would be deleted.

If loading with Base video still gives BSOD, you might need to repair Windows. This where bootable USB will be needed

Is this same machine you had cleared C: drive to free up space?
    Did you reduced % alocated for system restore? I think I have mentioned that you gain one at the cost of the other - oldest restore points would be deleted.

Yes, it’s the same machine.

On to Microsoft helpline now. They’re creating a bootable USB remotely on my other computer.

I will have to reinstall software on the desktop, but there’s not much of that.

If this works, it will be $38 well spent.

Nightmare.

Thanks.

D.

Ps. When this is sorted I’m going to purchase the best system management/drive checking software available. Any suggestions?

Don't have to spend $.
    All you need is >=8Gb USB

On working machine Google MS media creation tool, follow isstructions (all data will be whiped of the usb)

Dinarius wrote: »
    Ps. When this is sorted I’m going to purchase the best system management/drive checking software available.

Up to you, but try to apply "ain't broke, don't fix it" more often
    What was the need to go for graphic's driver update?
    Also, having powerful tools does not make you understand what should or should not be cleared of OS partition .

What's the point looking at window with data without understanding what it means
    These type of tools are needed for people that do do repairs and have knowledge how to use them.

Of course it's never to late to learn.:D

Don't have to spend $.
    All you need is >=8Gb USB

On working machine Google MS media creation tool, follow isstructions (all data will be whiped of the usb)

We are in the process of modifying the USB for the third time coz the primary drive on the bad computer won’t allow us to install.

In the end, had to format the drive. Fortunately, apart from a few desktop items, it’s just software.

Total mare!

Hard to know if my cleanup of a few weeks back came back to haunt me - though 1909 was installed since - or whether it was the Nvidia driver update.

Will be very careful from now on.

D.

• Advertisement

Up to you, but try to apply "ain't broke, don't fix it" more often
    What was the need to go for graphic's driver update?
    Also, having powerful tools does not make you understand what should or should not be cleared of OS partition .

What's the point looking at window with data without understanding what it means
    These type of tools are needed for people that do do repairs and have knowledge how to use them.

Of course it's never to late to learn.:D

It's finally installing as I write.

I use simple stuff like CC Cleaner to delete junk and clean the registry.

I'd like something that scanned the C: drive to check the health of the drive. That's pretty much it.

On the plus side, this forced format is going to make be think long and hard about what I put back on the machine. I've lost nothing except a few desktop files and a lot of software that has to be reinstalled - the hardest part will be trying to remember what was on the computer!

D.

Famous SSD brands come with their own utilities that more or less monitor status. More complex tools would be handy if you constantly run in to trouble, but considering SSD prices these days...

Famous SSD brands come with their own utilities that more or less monitor status. More complex tools would be handy if you constantly run in to trouble, but considering SSD prices these days...

Yes, SSDs are dirt cheap, but I'm not! :)

This cock-up will have cost me a day, at least.

If there was a piece of drive management software that would help me keep an eye on things, it would be money well spent.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

might be odd question but did you try to remove gpu- seems faulty drivers caused issue, thus using cpu-gpu might of let you boot back in ?

unless your sure drive is rip, then yes work on other options.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dinarius wrote: »
    I use simple stuff like CC Cleaner to delete junk and clean the registry.

Just an FYI on this, I'd strongly advise to avoid registry cleaners like the plague, they are often the cause of problems like the one you're having.

A quick google search will show almost all major tech sites saying that they're "digital snake oil" at best, and actively harm your drive at worst.

scamalert wrote: »
    might be odd question but did you try to remove gpu- seems faulty drivers caused issue, thus using cpu-gpu might of let you boot back in ?

unless your sure drive is rip, then yes work on other options.

You prabably not aware that OP did some "disk cleaning" as well as registry cleaning.

Advertisement