Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kVA

Options
  • 24-11-2019 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hi, how do I determine what kVA supply I have to house from ESB i.e 12/16?

Any tell tale signs in meter box?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

What size is the main fuse in the meter box?

You can just ring ESB Networks and quote your MPRN and they will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

What size is the main fuse in the meter box?

You can just ring ESB Networks and quote your MPRN and they will tell you.

Thanks Paul.

Here’s a photo attached 60/80A ?

Since it does not state the exact fuse just ring ESB Networks tomorrow.

Phone: (021) 238 6555

Have your MPRN from your bill so there is no confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Since it does not state the exact fuse just ring ESB Networks tomorrow.

Phone: (021) 238 6555

Have your MPRN from your bill so there is no confusion!

You have a 80 amp fuse so I would be 99% sure you have a 15kva supply! If you had a 100 Amp I would say 33kva!

Your fuse holder says 60/80 but I’d bet my life on it being a 80 amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I find it hard to understand how a 100A single phase supply could be 33kVA.

As has been said the best thing to do is consult networks or check the MIC listed on your bill then have your electrician do a sanity check by reviewing the incomer and fusing arrangements on site.

However it should be noted that ESB Networks too make mistakes and I have dealt with many connections where ESB had erroneously recorded the MIC.

It is possible also for there to be a discrepancy between the hard (actual fused) MIC and what is recorded on the profile without any mistakes being made.

For example if a supply is downgraded the fuses are not typically changed, but you will pay penalty charges if the MIC is subsequently exceeded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes indeed fuse size is no guarantee as to the kva. Kva is often more like a fair usage policy than actual current capacity of individual houses.

Does anyone know what happens if you do blow the cartridge fuse in the meter box?

Do they just install a new one or are questions asked?

I understand the 63A breaker should protect it but say it did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yhejob

Does anyone know what happens if you do blow the cartridge fuse in the meter box?

networks will go ballistic as f and blind you out of the place. i would use stronger language but it might not be allowed, but seriously networks will go mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I

The time I was with them, (a while ago now) they were just replaced, as it was rare enough, although I doubt they would be happy if it was due to some cowboy efforts or was a regular thing. Not certain if it's much different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Generally it would be replaced free the first time, a quick reoccurrence would probably involve a call out charge but I've never experienced that.
    A Neozed fuse in the consumer unit would normally blow before the HRC one at the meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

TheBully wrote: »
    You have a 80 amp fuse so I would be 99% sure you have a 15kva supply! If you had a 100 Amp I would say 33kva!

Your fuse holder says 60/80 but I’d bet my life on it being a 80 amp

Not necessarily. You wont get an 80 amp fuse in the ESB cutout unless you have 16sq t+e feeding your consumer unit. This 16sq is part of the consumers installation.
    You may have a 15kva supply but only a 63a fuse in the cutout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Bruthal wrote: »
    The time I was with them, (a while ago now) they were just replaced, as it was rare enough, although I doubt they would be happy if it was due to some cowboy efforts. Not certain if it's much different now.

It will be replaced as long as it's nothing untoward.

Advertisement