Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That moment when you realise you're fat

Options
  • 24-11-2019 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

So I've know for quite a while now that my BMI is on the high side and I'm not the little size 12 that I used to be, it's no secret to me that I am overweight.

But today messing around with friends, taking some photos etc I have to say I'm horrified with what I saw. I'm much bigger than I thought.

It was like the blinkers were completely smacked off my chubby chinned face and I saw myself for the first time, I'm very unhappy with what I saw.

I am a fat person, no denying it. The realisation that this is how I look and how people around me see me is a bit devastating to be honest, I didn't think it was this bad.

Stupid thoughts running through my head all day like there are now people in my life who will have only ever known me as an overweight woman up to now.

Maybe I was in denial about how much I had let it slide but I am horrified.

I don't eat take out or crap, I home cook meals every single day bar the odd special occasion, I am on the go all of the time but I suppose I have not made a conscious effort to diet and exercise. I average about 6 hours sleep a night which I'm sure doesn't help.

How has this realisation only dawned on me now (I see myself in the mirror every day) and what the hell am I going to do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pygmy Shrew

You should have a look at BodySlims.....works great for people like you who need to kick some bad habits and change their approach to food. There's weekly meetings in Stillorgan or if you are not in Dublin you can do an online version. It's for 10 weeks. I found it great, changed my approach not just to food but to myself! The next course is starting again in Jan.

Also you're prob not as big as those photos make you seem, I always look 2 dress sizes bigger if I'm at the outside of a group in a pic :)
    Take care x

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Did couch to 5 k and tracked my calories using My fitness pal and a fit bit watch. It worked, was tough but ended up enjoyable. Am within a couple of pounds off my ideal weight.
    When you track your calories it can be a real eye opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

A year after I got married

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'd also look up HIIT exercises that you can do at home. Mostly they just need floor space and no fancy equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'd also look up HIIT exercises that you can do at home. Mostly they just need floor space and no fancy equipment.

Thanks, just had a look and seems very doable at home until I'm ready to start classes. I'm just a bit shell shocked, I never wanted to end up like this. I've obviously been looking at myself with rose tinted glasses on.

• Advertisement

You should have a look at BodySlims.....works great for people like you who need to kick some bad habits and change their approach to food. There's weekly meetings in Stillorgan or if you are not in Dublin you can do an online version. It's for 10 weeks. I found it great, changed my approach not just to food but to myself! The next course is starting again in Jan.

Also you're prob not as big as those photos make you seem, I always look 2 dress sizes bigger if I'm at the outside of a group in a pic :)
    Take care x

Thanks, not in Dublin but will check out the online programme thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I home cook meals every single day

This is bloody brilliant news, with a few small changes you'll do from putting on a little to losing!

Hi, I'm Jay, I'm currently on Slimming World and have lost 9 stone since April last year :) here's what I've learned: Ok - every day you'll be hungry, every day you will eat until you're satisfied. But how many calories you'll use doing that determines whether you gain, lose or maintain.

If you can spend the next while finding out what foods you love, are filling, and are not calorie bombs, you'll be sorted for a long time (and not just a quick fix).

The aim is to build up a roster of meals you can lean on and go on autopilot. literally go to pinchofnom or your favourite recipe book and write down 5 breakfast lunch dinner and desserts, and create a week's shopping list.

The biggest changes I'd recommend:
    - Use 1-calorie spray oil instead of cooking with oil
    - Coke zero instead of coke
    - limit bread to 2 slices of a non-plain white bread or 40g of cereal per day.
    - cook mountains of vegetables. flavour with stock pots. plate them first and aim for half of your plate.
    - with yogurts have muller lights or fat free greek yogurt (i love Liberté)
    - make pasta sauce from scratch - no bolognese sauce (they're oily calorie bombs) and use the 5% mince.
    - dessert I use quark (fat free cottage cheese) which is like whipped cream, with fruit, Chivers jelly and choc shot (delicious!)

Eat your fill at mealtimes - get seconds or thirds if you need to. if you have a tiny dinner "to be good" but are still hungry, you'll take it out on the treats!

Snacks-wise eat fruit. it's sweet and natural and full of water and fibre. it seems counter-intuitive to eat apples (100 calories a pop) - in diabetic trials those who ate more fruit lost more weight, because they will satisfying and will fill u.

snacks-wise, manhattan popcorn, and aldi lentil crisps are pretty great. i like plain dairy milk, and mikado (but its hard to find in ireland), i have it with coffee.

anywoo that's a lot of stuff to digest (oh-ho!) hopefully ya found some of it useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I don't eat take out or crap, I home cook meals every single day bar the odd special occasion

Unless you are tracking your calories this actually doesn't matter. You can be homecooking meals every day and still be consuming 1000+ kcal in a meal easily.

You can pick up a food scales and measuring utensils on amazon pretty cheaply and then start measuring your ingredients. Track them in myfitnesspal and you might be surprised how much calories you could actually be putting into a meal, and also consuming at different points throughout the day, e.g. snacking, or even the milk in tea/coffee, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

anacc wrote: »
    Unless you are tracking your calories this actually doesn't matter. You can be homecooking meals every day and still be consuming 1000+ kcal in a meal easily.

You can pick up a food scales and measuring utensils on amazon pretty cheaply and then start measuring your ingredients. Track them in myfitnesspal and you might be surprised how much calories you could actually be putting into a meal, and also consuming at different points throughout the day, e.g. snacking, or even the milk in tea/coffee, etc.

I honestly used to laugh at lads counting calories, "meal prepping", and weighing their rice and chicken, but it just works.
    My fitness pal is a revelation.

Started calorie counting a few weeks back, tracking what I ate and MyFitnessPal took care of the rest.
    Got to a stage now where I'm good enough that I don't really use it much, but it really let's you know how much you're eating.
    That and a bit of exercise and the weight is falling off. Tracking what you're eating is fantastic for stopping snacking too. You don't realise you're eating 10 Mars bars a week until you have it written in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I honestly used to laugh at lads counting calories, "meal prepping", and weighing their rice and chicken, but it just works.
    My fitness pal is a revelation.

Started calorie counting a few weeks back, tracking what I ate and MyFitnessPal took care of the rest.
    Got to a stage now where I'm good enough that I don't really use it much, but it really let's you know how much you're eating.
    That and a bit of exercise and the weight is falling off. Tracking what you're eating is fantastic for stopping snacking too. You don't realise you're eating 10 Mars bars a week until you have it written in front of you.

Yep, and the tracking becomes second-nature. I do it automatically without even thinking of it, it's just routine.

Well done on the weight loss.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Snacks-wise eat fruit. it's sweet and natural and full of water and fibre. it seems counter-intuitive to eat apples (100 calories a pop) - in diabetic trials those who ate more fruit lost more weight, because they will satisfying and will fill u.

snacks-wise, manhattan popcorn, and aldi lentil crisps are pretty great. i like plain dairy milk, and mikado (but its hard to find in ireland), i have it with coffee.

anywoo that's a lot of stuff to digest (oh-ho!) hopefully ya found some of it useful!

Thanks so much and well done on your weight loss, that's amazing!

Yep I reckon it's the snacks are my downfall, late night too. I'm a demon for crisps and cheese!

These are great suggestions, so I will definitely have to start some good habits around what I'm eating and making some changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

80% of weight loss success is the right diet. For you, it will be enough at the start to just change your eating habits.
    Here is a good ebook to download for FREE - Healthy Eating Guide - try to read all of this and then you can try to make some changes.
    Everything will be fine! Just trust yourself and maybe get a nutritionist :)

Advertisement