Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Term Illness Diagnosis and Work

Options
  • 24-11-2019 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going anonymous for obvious reasons.

I work in the Civil Service.

I have recently been diagnosed with a long term illness. The illness is progressive, unfortunately is currently incurable, and I am likely to develop ongoing problems.

At the moment, thankfully, I am doing OK. No significant level of debility. But at any stage, I may get a flare up of the illness and end up in considerable pain and on medication (it has happened before, before I got the diagnosis).

Should I get a letter from my consultant, for HR, outlining my illness and letting my organisation know that I may have issues going forward. Or should I just wait and deal with any problems as they arise?

I have told my immediate superior and explained that there are certain things I need to do, such as not sitting for long periods etc. And my superior doesn't have any issues. But that person is due to be moved to another department soon, and I am unsure as to how any replacement will take it.

I am still getting over the diagnosis. And would appreciate any wise words from people who have gone through this before. Or anyone else for that matter.

Advertisement