Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

august2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Just a quick update from me. Baby boy arrived 3 weeks early to the suprise of everyone! I’m in love. He’s amazing. After such a long wait, misery and heartache I can’t believe I can finally say I’m a Mammy. Breast feeding is tough, recovery is as tough as birth was assisted in the end but I’m just so happy (bar thr 3/4 meltdowns I’ve had since of course!)

Rosie I hope everything went great for you and your just soaking up the lovely feelings! Found being in hospital on my own hard, had to stay 3 nights and by night 3 I just broke down. Everyone in cumh has a room of their own currently so v isolating, even though it was nice in one way! Supposedly cumh doing big study on birth during Covid and pnd levels have soared, esp for those who birthed during complete lockdown.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Be aware that the baby blues hit like a frieght train around days 3/4 after birth.

I never put much store in hormonal emotions until I had my first baby - I was not prepared for that hormonal crash around day 3/4.It was very tough.I was also still in hospital, and I think that made it worse.So much easier to be able to cope with it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

ahaaha wrote: »
    Just a quick update from me. Baby boy arrived 3 weeks early to the suprise of everyone! I’m in love. He’s amazing. After such a long wait, misery and heartache I can’t believe I can finally say I’m a Mammy. Breast feeding is tough, recovery is as tough as birth was assisted in the end but I’m just so happy (bar thr 3/4 meltdowns I’ve had since of course!)

Rosie I hope everything went great for you and your just soaking up the lovely feelings! Found being in hospital on my own hard, had to stay 3 nights and by night 3 I just broke down. Everyone in cumh has a room of their own currently so v isolating, even though it was nice in one way! Supposedly cumh doing big study on birth during Covid and pnd levels have soared, esp for those who birthed during complete lockdown.

Massive congratulations Ahaaha. Wishing u a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ah fab a huge congrats!!
    Enjoy every minute of it. You will be home soon :) Take the painkillers if you need them.
    Take the breastfeeding day by day.
    Don’t put any pressure on yourself xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Huge congratulations ahaaha!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Huge Congrats enjoy the scrumptious cuddles

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

I am basking in the newborn cuddles also little girl arrived on Wednesday am so relieved and exhausted

rosiem wrote: »
    I am basking in the newborn cuddles also little girl arrived on Wednesday am so relieved and exhausted

Brilliant news. Massive congratulations to you and your family. Enjoy the cuddles, nothing like it!

Gorgeous! Big congrats. Enjoy every minute. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Massive congrats Rosie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Ah massive congrats!! I’ve never known such love and exhaustion for sure rosiem xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Hi all. An expectant father here. Apologies if I’m not really supposed to be posting here! We are due this week but my wife has been getting contractions since about 2am this morning. The hospital told her to wait to come in until we reached the contractions being every 5 minutes for an hour.

The contractions were fairly inconsistent for most of the morning. Around 2pm we thought we were doing great because about 8 contractions in a row were all 5 minutes something apart so we were just about to head to the hospital. But suddenly the contractions have gone way up in time. In the last hour they have gone up to 15 mins between contractions, 10 mins etc. Is this normal? It seems every time they are coming down to what they should be they go way up in time. It’s just frustrating because my wife got no sleep at all last night with the contractions so she’ll be tiring really badly later on if it continues as it has in the last 12+ hours.

She’s in the hospital now asking them about it. Anyone know if it is normal for the times to fluctuate like that? Sorry for the long post, it’s just when I google anything they seem to suggest that the time just decreases gradually but I’m guessing it doesn’t always go that way? Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be honest ,if it's your first baby particularly, anything can happen as regards contractions.

The hospital will check the baby, possibly do a quick check on your wife (internal, to see if dilated at all) and will know whether she needs to stay in.Time between contractions is a very rough measurement, there would be other things involved too, such as how the baby is coping, has your wife dilated, things that the hospital will use to help decide.It is exhausting, I feel for her -the first time can be very long and the biggest challenge is often the tiredness.

shesty wrote: »
    To be honest ,if it's your first baby particularly, anything can happen as regards contractions.

The hospital will check the baby, possibly do a quick check on your wife (internal, to see if dilated at all) and will know whether she needs to stay in.Time between contractions is a very rough measurement, there would be other things involved too, such as how the baby is coping, has your wife dilated, things that the hospital will use to help decide.It is exhausting, I feel for her -the first time can be very long and the biggest challenge is often the tiredness.

Thank you very much for your reply. They checked her about 4.30pm and she was 1 to 2 cm dilated. They told her to go for a walk and come back at 6.15pm. Unfortunately the contractions got very rare at this stage and she hadn’t progressed at all by 6.15pm after the walk. So we were sent home and I was hoping she’d get some sleep. But typically, no sooner were we back home than her contractions started properly again. She has had reasonably regular contractions (and they were more painful than earlier) for the last 2.5 hours so we went back in. She’s in there now so I’m praying for her sake that she has moved on another couple of cm ðŸ™
    Thanks again for the reply.

I hope it has moved on.
    If she can't talk at all during the contractions, it is usually a good sign of progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your reply. They checked her about 4.30pm and she was 1 to 2 cm dilated. They told her to go for a walk and come back at 6.15pm. Unfortunately the contractions got very rare at this stage and she hadn’t progressed at all by 6.15pm after the walk. So we were sent home and I was hoping she’d get some sleep. But typically, no sooner were we back home than her contractions started properly again. She has had reasonably regular contractions (and they were more painful than earlier) for the last 2.5 hours so we went back in. She’s in there now so I’m praying for her sake that she has moved on another couple of cm ðŸ™
    Thanks again for the reply.

Good luck Newbie20!

It was a long one but finally got there. Baby girl born this morning (Tuesday) at 8am. We are thrilled. Thanks again.

Newbie20 wrote: »
    It was a long one but finally got there. Baby girl born this morning (Tuesday) at 8am. We are thrilled. Thanks again.

Ah fab congrats. :)

I have up been all night......really strong braxton hicks, vomiting, nausea and going to the toilet. It seems to have settled down a bit now.
    Feel absolutely rotten :(
    Hopefully not too much longer. Tomorrow I will be 37 weeks.

Yikes Millem.Signs of movement?

• Advertisement

Yikes Millem.Signs of movement?

I was like this for a week before my second son.
    I literally have braxton hicks no stop. Feeling lots of pressure like need to go to loo.
    I feel it could be any time tbh. If I am left like this for another 3 weeks I will crack up.

Millem wrote: »
    I was like this for a week before my second son.
    I literally have braxton hicks no stop. Feeling lots of pressure like need to go to loo.
    I feel it could be any time tbh. If I am left like this for another 3 weeks I will crack up.

Gosh that sounds awful Millem, hope you get some relief soon.

I was in hospital today for a checkup. I'll be 39 weeks Friday. Feeling good but no sign of things starting. Baby is head down but not engaged. They did an internal exam, couldn't do a sweep as no sign of anything happening yet. Feeling a little anxious as went 10 days over on my last and they have me booked in for a c-section at 7 days over this time. The doc was lovely and offered to book me in at 10 days over to give me every chance to go in to labour myself but the day was booked out... which annoys and deflates me as if I came in in spontaneous labour and needed a section that day they'd have to take me anyway! Hoping I go in to labour myself between this and then.

Really want a 'go' at labour (i sound like an idiot) but I went in to labour myself the last time the night before I was due to be induced (ended in emergency section under general anaesthetic due to baby being in distress/meconium in the waters, but labour had progressed fine up to that point) so I would like to be left at it this time too... we are planning on having 4 children so that's my main motivation in trying to avoid a section this time around.

Gosh that sounds awful Millem, hope you get some relief soon.

I was in hospital today for a checkup. I'll be 39 weeks Friday. Feeling good but no sign of things starting. Baby is head down but not engaged. They did an internal exam, couldn't do a sweep as no sign of anything happening yet. Feeling a little anxious as went 10 days over on my last and they have me booked in for a c-section at 7 days over this time. The doc was lovely and offered to book me in at 10 days over to give me every chance to go in to labour myself but the day was booked out... which annoys and deflates me as if I came in in spontaneous labour and needed a section that day they'd have to take me anyway! Hoping I go in to labour myself between this and then.

Really want a 'go' at labour (i sound like an idiot) but I went in to labour myself the last time the night before I was due to be induced (ended in emergency section under general anaesthetic due to baby being in distress/meconium in the waters, but labour had progressed fine up to that point) so I would like to be left at it this time too... we are planning on having 4 children so that's my main motivation in trying to avoid a section this time around.

Oh gosh history queen I hope you get the birth you want.
    I am worn out at this stage. I would take a section if it was offered to me tomorrow.
    I am so wrecked I don’t know how I will get through labour. I never had an epidural before but feel like if I went into labour tonight I would need one.

This is defo our last child. It was so hard being pregnant with my other two.

I was meant to have an appointment on Friday but asked my consultant could I just go the following week. I can’t face going into town! I said if I felt I needed I would go in.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so moaney! There's fear of me, I'm not struggling and have only mild discomfort really. As regards my birth preferences, completely out of my hands so I'll just have to go with the flow.

I feel for you Millem, really sounds like you're finding it tough. Will your consultant let you opt for a section?

Oh gosh history queen I hope you get the birth you want.
    I am worn out at this stage. I would take a section if it was offered to me tomorrow.
    I am so wrecked I don’t know how I will get through labour. I never had an epidural before but feel like if I went into labour tonight I would need one.

This is defo our last child. It was so hard being pregnant with my other two.

I was meant to have an appointment on Friday but asked my consultant could I just go the following week. I can’t face going into town! I said if I felt I needed I would go in.

Ah Millem, I felt the exact same before my third.I remember saying to the midwife at about 38 weeks I wasn't sure I had the energy to make it through the labour, she just kind of said ah sure, we always find it somewhere.Not very reassuring!!I was just SO tired.I did make it through though, without the epidural -it can be done!- but I remember just lying flat on the bed directly after it for about 20 mins, I just couldn't move from complete exhaustion..And also the relief that the effort was all finished!!I feel your pain, I really hope it is not too much longer now - those last few weeks finished me, no more children here either!!

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so moaney! There's fear of me, I'm not struggling and have only mild discomfort really. As regards my birth preferences, completely out of my hands so I'll just have to go with the flow.

I feel for you Millem, really sounds like you're finding it tough. Will your consultant let you opt for a section?

Gosh you aren’t moaney at all!!!
    Oh yeah I am sure I could get a section if I wanted!! I never asked for one as I don’t fancy the recovery!!

I am so glad we don’t have to go back to school :)

Ah Millem, I felt the exact same before my third.I remember saying to the midwife at about 38 weeks I wasn't sure I had the energy to make it through the labour, she just kind of said ah sure, we always find it somewhere.Not very reassuring!!I was just SO tired.I did make it through though, without the epidural -it can be done!- but I remember just lying flat on the bed directly after it for about 20 mins, I just couldn't move from complete exhaustion..And also the relief that the effort was all finished!!I feel your pain, I really hope it is not too much longer now - those last few weeks finished me, no more children here either!!

I know I just need to suck it up. I have had 2 nights now with no sleep :(
    My last birth was super quick but super sore. Never had an epidural before so I am afraid it might slow things down?

Gosh you aren’t moaney at all!!!
    Oh yeah I am sure I could get a section if I wanted!! I never asked for one as I don’t fancy the recovery!!

I am so glad we don’t have to go back to school :)

Absolutely! Especially after seeing that "roadmap". I feel for all of our colleagues.

Absolutely! Especially after seeing that "roadmap". I feel for all of our colleagues.

Unreal. I can’t see it happening anyway. The tui have an email address to send comments. Our area WhatsApp group was hopping it has now been changed to read only.

I am in not fit state to work anyway tbh!!!

• Advertisement

My last birth was super quick but super sore. Never had an epidural before so I am afraid it might slow things down?

I believe it does slow it down....I prefer to cope by moving around anyway and give birth kneeling, I just never reached a point where I felt I needed an epidural.Last guy pushed me very, very close to the edge of not coping due to his size, but I probably was too far gone anyway, they wouldn't have given me one.Once it starts, you just deal, it's the waiting around is the worst!!! Quick is better I think, you don't get quite so exhausted dealing with it for ages.My 2nd and 3rd were about 5 hours (his size, otherwise I think it would have been quicker), which was plenty!

Advertisement