Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

august2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Millem wrote: »
    History queen why don’t you ring the hospital and ask about an appointment. I wouldn’t bother with that gp....not like they are going to do much anyway.
    That way hospital might give you a scan too!
    There is a list on the internet somewhere of when we are meant to get our appointments....is it every 4 weeks or something?

So Millem, I took your advice and rang the Maternity hospital. I spoke to a lovely midwife there who said that antenatal appointments are meant to be continuing but that thry are having calls from other women sayibg that this isn't happening. She asked for me details and promised a callback.

20 minutes later she called me back saying she had spoken to my GP practice and that I needed to ring them. I rang them and was put straight through to my GP who asked me some questions about my general health and pregnancy. He then said that for the next two weeks they are trying not to see anyone unless it is an urgent issue but that if I felt unwell I was to ring and they would see me.

I explained to him everything that happened in the last three weeks and he apologized and said he thinks it was well intentioned but either over zealous by the receptionist or she had misunderstood the situation. He said in 2 weeks time they still may not see me but he or the practice nurse will ring to check in with me/advise whether an appointment will be happening. I'm happy with this as to be honest I'd prefer not to leave my house until all of this blows over of possible, but at least now I feel a GP has over sight of my case. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to listen to me and reply, I'm only realising now just how stressed I was. It's a huge relief to feel I've finally been listened to and have clarity on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So Millem, I took your advice and rang the Maternity hospital. I spoke to a lovely midwife there who said that antenatal appointments are meant to be continuing but that thry are having calls from other women sayibg that this isn't happening. She asked for me details and promised a callback.

20 minutes later she called me back saying she had spoken to my GP practice and that I needed to ring them. I rang them and was put straight through to my GP who asked me some questions about my general health and pregnancy. He then said that for the next two weeks they are trying not to see anyone unless it is an urgent issue but that if I felt unwell I was to ring and they would see me.

I explained to him everything that happened in the last three weeks and he apologized and said he thinks it was well intentioned but either over zealous by the receptionist or she had misunderstood the situation. He said in 2 weeks time they still may not see me but he or the practice nurse will ring to check in with me/advise whether an appointment will be happening. I'm happy with this as to be honest I'd prefer not to leave my house until all of this blows over of possible, but at least now I feel a GP has over sight of my case. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to listen to me and reply, I'm only realising now just how stressed I was. It's a huge relief to feel I've finally been listened to and have clarity on the situation.

Good for you. :)
    The gp is getting paid for your visits!!!
    I am not jumping for joy going next week but will just to get the anomaly scan. My mother told me they had 10 woman and 20 staff with the coronavirus in the hospital! I don’t know when they had it though but still not jumping for joy.

Good for you. :)
    The gp is getting paid for your visits!!!
    I am not jumping for joy going next week but will just to get the anomaly scan. My mother told me they had 10 woman and 20 staff with the coronavirus in the hospital! I don’t know when they had it though but still not jumping for joy.

Well what the GP said to me is they are trying to get the balance right between deciding what is the greater risk keeping the appointment or potential exposure? In my case a GP visit where they'll ask a few questions and check blood pressure/urine is definitely not worth the risk.

If, however, I was getting an anomaly scan I would deem that worth the risk as it gives so much more information to you. It's all about assessing the individual situation really isn't it?

The very best of luck to you with the scan. Will be lovely for you to get a chance to see baby again : )

Well what the GP said to me is they are trying to get the balance right between deciding what is the greater risk keeping the appointment or potential exposure? In my case a GP visit where they'll ask a few questions and check blood pressure/urine is definitely not worth the risk.

If, however, I was getting an anomaly scan I would deem that worth the risk as it gives so much more information to you. It's all about assessing the individual situation really isn't it?

The very best of luck to you with the scan. Will be lovely for you to get a chance to see baby again : )

Ah yeah you are dead right! I don’t even go to the shops!!!
    They gave me a code for some gate I think it’s a back way in? Not sure....so I don’t need to walk through the main hospital.....I might skip my consultant if all is well will anomaly scan ;)

My poor husband will be waiting in the car with the two kids!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Had anomaly scan today was very nervous attending hospital but it was very quiet not the usual queues for consultant and midwifes and plenty of spacing in waiting area midwives and Drs all wearing masks. All went well with the scan so very happy and relieved this evening. Did ask could I record a small section of scan for my partner but they said not allowed which is disappointing as I know they were upset to have missed it but we also completely understand the situation.

• Advertisement

rosiem wrote: »
    Had anomaly scan today was very nervous attending hospital but it was very quiet not the usual queues for consultant and midwifes and plenty of spacing in waiting area midwives and Drs all wearing masks. All went well with the scan so very happy and relieved this evening. Did ask could I record a small section of scan for my partner but they said not allowed which is disappointing as I know they were upset to have missed it but we also completely understand the situation.

Amazing news Rosie congratulations! So exciting! Did you find out the gender? :)

Amazing news Rosie congratulations! So exciting! Did you find out the gender? :)

No keeping it a surprise already have a little boy and kept that as a surprise so wanted to do the same again love the guessing game can’t believe due date is in 18 weeks it’s flying in. Hope you are all keeping well x

No keeping it a surprise already have a little boy and kept that as a surprise so wanted to do the same again love the guessing game can’t believe due date is in 18 weeks it’s flying in. Hope you are all keeping well x

Lovely! I can’t wait to get scan over and done with then I am going start ordering a few bits.....don’t need much but new mattresses etc. :)

Congratulations Rosiem. Brilliant all went well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

I had my anomaly scan this morning. My husband didn't accompany me and I wasn't allowed to record anything but I did get lots of photos. The nurse explained the scan usually takes 30 mins but with covid restrictions she was going to do it as quickly as possible and I was all done in 20 mins. I was happy enough with this. She was wearing a full face mask (like a welder!) so I didn't feel at risk.

Oh and most importantly, baby is looking healthy and perfect <3

Best of luck to everyone with their scans, I hope they all go perfectly.

• Advertisement

I had my anomaly scan this morning. My husband didn't accompany me and I wasn't allowed to record anything but I did get lots of photos. The nurse explained the scan usually takes 30 mins but with covid restrictions she was going to do it as quickly as possible and I was all done in 20 mins. I was happy enough with this. She was wearing a full face mask (like a welder!) so I didn't feel at risk.

Oh and most importantly, baby is looking healthy and perfect <3

Best of luck to everyone with their scans, I hope they all go perfectly.

Similar experience here...all good thank God. I didn’t bother asking about recording anything. She gave me 11 pictures though.
    Best of luck everyone. :)

Brilliant news plastic heart. Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Glad to hear you’ve all gotten on great ladies!

How’s everybody holding up? Anomaly scan went well, and am meeting my GP practice nurse next week for my 24 week antenatal apt. Mostly a conversation over the phone and then a v quick visit to check the usual vitals and get whooping cough vaccine.

Keeping myself busy researching travel systems. Think it’s the only thing we will have to purchase. Getting hand me downs for mostly everything else. I’m utterly clueless regarding what we will need, I had to ring my mother asking her what clothes newborns actually wear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

ahaaha wrote: »
    How’s everybody holding up? Anomaly scan went well, and am meeting my GP practice nurse next week for my 24 week antenatal apt. Mostly a conversation over the phone and then a v quick visit to check the usual vitals and get whooping cough vaccine.

Keeping myself busy researching travel systems. Think it’s the only thing we will have to purchase. Getting hand me downs for mostly everything else. I’m utterly clueless regarding what we will need, I had to ring my mother asking her what clothes newborns actually wear!!

So what do newborns actually wear? Share the knowledge :)

I'm not finding the lock down too bad, I think being pregnant I don't have much want to leave the house so I'm happy working from home and getting things organised for August. I had my whooping cough vaccine last week. My GP had a great set up and I literally walked in, had the jab and walked out again in less than 10 minutes. Hope everyone is doing well.

So what do newborns actually wear? Share the knowledge :)

I'm not finding the lock down too bad, I think being pregnant I don't have much want to leave the house so I'm happy working from home and getting things organised for August. I had my whooping cough vaccine last week. My GP had a great set up and I literally walked in, had the jab and walked out again in less than 10 minutes. Hope everyone is doing well.

I got a very short answer of nappy, vest and babygro!! Ha ha! The bare necessities :)

Hi ladies, great to hear that yere pregnancies sre going well and no one is having issues getting appointments with their GPs. I seem to be an outlier in this situation! So, two weeks have passed since I last spoke to my GP on the phone and the promised check in from him or a practice nurse hasn't happened.

I'm at a loss, I think I'm just going to have to accept thst my GP is going to continue to fob me off for the remainder of my pregnancy. I'm now 24 weeks pregnant and have seen no one since my scan @13 weeks.

24 weeks today had Dr appt last week for whooping cough all went very smoothly and well run.

Have gestational diabetes test on 30th April and consultant appointment straight after at 10 in my local clinic but got letter today to say all clinics are moved back to the Coombe so GD appt at 8 and consultant at 3.30 so a compete pain as I live an hour away going to ring them next week to try re arrange.

Re what they wear plenty of vests short and long sleeve then I found baby grows easier than fiddly outfits as cute as they are dresses and trousers aren’t practical my lil boy was born in the May 2018 heatwave and lived in vests only for about 2 months little joggers over long sleeve vests are such a handy outfit and easy to change

Hi ladies, great to hear that yere pregnancies sre going well and no one is having issues getting appointments with their GPs. I seem to be an outlier in this situation! So, two weeks have passed since I last spoke to my GP on the phone and the promised check in from him or a practice nurse hasn't happened.

I'm at a loss, I think I'm just going to have to accept thst my GP is going to continue to fob me off for the remainder of my pregnancy. I'm now 24 weeks pregnant and have seen no one since my scan @13 weeks.

That really is too long to wait I would get back on to your midwife clinic you need to be having urine and BP checked my Drs are operating as normal and encouraging people to attend all while keeping it very safe so I can’t see why they won’t accommodate you they are not extra busy at this stage in my area and I am living in an area with a large amount of cases.

Hope you get sorted.

That really is too long to wait I would get back on to your midwife clinic you need to be having urine and BP checked my Drs are operating as normal and encouraging people to attend all while keeping it very safe so I can’t see why they won’t accommodate you they are not extra busy at this stage in my area and I am living in an area with a large amount of cases.

Hope you get sorted.

Thanks for that. Yes I'll call the hospital Monday and see what they advise. They actually called my GP the last time I raised this with them but as you can see unfortunately it has had no effect. I don't know if it's pregnancy or the residual stress of all that is going on lately but I'm quite tearful and have developed an eye twitch for the last 10 days.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Yes I'll call the hospital Monday and see what they advise. They actually called my GP the last time I raised this with them but as you can see unfortunately it has had no effect. I don't know if it's pregnancy or the residual stress of all that is going on lately but I'm quite tearful and have developed an eye twitch for the last 10 days.

It really is such a stressful time to be pregnant and you Drs should understand that and not be adding to it I don’t blame you feeling tearful. I would mention all this to the midwife. Is there any possibility of changing Dr if it is just a problem with your practice.

I do feel Covid-19 is stealing some of the happiness from our pregnancies but I do think we will come out of this stronger and more able to deal with anything that is thrown at us we are tougher than we know or even think we are.

Sorry I can’t offer any practical help but am here if you need to vent or air concerns x

Thanks a million Rosiem, I do appreciate it. I'm normally a very calm and logical person so feeling like this is irritating me too. I have to say I'm shocked at my GP practice I usually have only good things to say about them.

Anyway I'm currently laying in to the Easter Chocolate and watching crap tv. Husband looked after dinner and our son's bedtime. So I'm having a selfish evening and will shake it off and get on with things tomorrow. Thanks again for the support. Sometimes you just need someone else to reassure you that you aren't over reacting.

History Queen I can’t believe they still haven’t contacted you......no wonder you are feeling emotional and stressed, that’s completely understandable. Like the others, my own practice had no problem with me having my regular appointment..... I really do feel for you. We are here for you to vent and offer any advice (which is limited in my case I must admit!) Be kind to yourself and do try and make contact with them again, whether it’s via midwife or ringing GP yourself again. You’re entitled to a minimum level of care even during these hard times.

Can I ask is gestational diabetes test standard for everyone? I’ve had no mention of it from hospital .... I’m back to them at 32 weeks for another scan and apt afterward. My placenta is low lying, so I hope it’s sorted itself out by that stage....

Thanks for the support Ahaaha. Re the gestational diabetes test I had it (the test, not the condition) on my last pregnancy but I'm nearly sure I was referred to the test for a reason. I can't for the life of me remember what it was... I have a feeling it was something got to do with my weight suddenly fluctuating but I could be wrong about that.

I have my GD test at 28 weeks at 8am and then see my consultant at 9am....I think?
    I am 35 so am geriatric or whatever the term is ;)
    Never had GD on any previous pregnancies so I don’t think I have it (touch wood).

Re clothes I keep my kids in baby grows and a cardigan if it’s cold until they pretty much start to walk!!!!! Say 10ish months! I don’t bother with outfits....too much hassle. I always find it hard to find cardigans so if I see any now I am going to buy them!
    We pretty much have all the baby equipment already but need to buy new mattresses. Will order them maybe next month as my post from amazon is taking ages....a good month. I might buy a co sleeper. Never had one before.....my kids were and still are desperate sleepers!!

History Queen I can’t believe they still haven’t contacted you......no wonder you are feeling emotional and stressed, that’s completely understandable. Like the others, my own practice had no problem with me having my regular appointment..... I really do feel for you. We are here for you to vent and offer any advice (which is limited in my case I must admit!) Be kind to yourself and do try and make contact with them again, whether it’s via midwife or ringing GP yourself again. You’re entitled to a minimum level of care even during these hard times.

Can I ask is gestational diabetes test standard for everyone? I’ve had no mention of it from hospital .... I’m back to them at 32 weeks for another scan and apt afterward. My placenta is low lying, so I hope it’s sorted itself out by that stage....

For the gestational diabetes test I am only having it as I am 40 and it’s protocol in Coombe for anyone 40 or over I didn’t have to have it last time so unless you have other issues with weight/BP/Pre eclampsia for example you won’t need it.

Thanks for the info ladies! I’m 37 so also geriatric ;) what a term eh?!! Mind you I am lying in bed watching the late late show, so it might be apt for me! I’ll ask the nurse next week at my GP surgery just for peace of mind. I’ve been eating so much trash the last week or two, I best cop on!!

Thanks for the info ladies! I’m 37 so also geriatric ;) what a term eh?!! Mind you I am lying in bed watching the late late show, so it might be apt for me! I’ll ask the nurse next week at my GP surgery just for peace of mind. I’ve been eating so much trash the last week or two, I best cop on!!

My sister’s first baby was 11lbs!!! She didn’t have GD but was tested for it! Her newborn baby girl looked about 2 months old!!!! ;)
    They test for loads of different reasons.
    https://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/diabetes-pregnancy/gestational-diabetes/

Hi ladies, 25 weeks today! I hope ye are all feeling well.

I got a surprise phone call from my hospital Wednesday morning wanting to know if I had been seen by my GP since. I told them no. They asked a few general questions about my health and said they'd see me in May (when my next appointment is).

Half an hour later a practice nurse rang from my GP to organise an appointment and I was seen yesterday. Did my vaccines/blood test/urine/weight/blood pressure and listened to baby with doppler. All well thank God. Feeling so relieved today. Nurse apologised and said I'd fallen through the cracks and they've changed their policy now, so for the rest of my pregnancy I'll be seen for my appointments as scheduled unless either them or me contract covid and even then a contingency plan will be put in place.

I'm assuming the hospital rang them again to get me seen. To be honest I don't really care what caused it, just glad to know someone will be keeping an eye on my health for the rest of the pregnancy.

How are all of you feeling?

• Advertisement

Hi ladies, 25 weeks today! I hope ye are all feeling well.

I got a surprise phone call from my hospital Wednesday morning wanting to know if I had been seen by my GP since. I told them no. They asked a few general questions about my health and said they'd see me in May (when my next appointment is).

Half an hour later a practice nurse rang from my GP to organise an appointment and I was seen yesterday. Did my vaccines/blood test/urine/weight/blood pressure and listened to baby with doppler. All well thank God. Feeling so relieved today. Nurse apologised and said I'd fallen through the cracks and they've changed their policy now, so for the rest of my pregnancy I'll be seen for my appointments as scheduled unless either them or me contract covid and even then a contingency plan will be put in place.

I'm assuming the hospital rang them again to get me seen. To be honest I don't really care what caused it, just glad to know someone will be keeping an eye on my health for the rest of the pregnancy.

How are all of you feeling?

Oh that’s brilliant news! I’m thrilled for you- huge relief I’m sure!

Also 25 weeks today. They seem to be flying by these days! I’m feeling good, getting v big however and heartburn/indigestion is rearing it’s head. I’ve never suffered from it before, it’s horrific! So off to pharmacy with me later on to get some gaviscon :)

Advertisement