Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help/advice please

Options
  • 24-11-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a couple of electrical questions, if that's all right. I am aware a qualified/certified sparks has to carry out the work, but wanted to ask:

1. I have a touch lamp that suddenly seems to have a life of it's own and will turn itself on at random. I think there might be a short somewhere, and wondered if it was worth getting a sparky to fix for me? It's a shame, as I like the lamp, and they are no longer sold.

2. I have a marble lamp that we're refurbishing. We've got the right cable, rocker switch, lampshade and harp, but having trouble finding the right size connector ring for the lamp so that the harp/shade can be fitted. All are too big!

I think it's possible as the lamp has been used as such previously, and know that I have the right size shade (12"), but just can't seem to find the final bit to make it all work!

Hope I'm making sense - TIA for any help/advice you might be able to give :)

I can put up a pic of the lamp and fittings if needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

On Item 2. I am assuming that you have a screw-on type ring that is too large to clamp the lampshade. If this is so, perhaps it may be possible to wrap insulating tape around the holder to increase the diameter, thus may permit the holding ring to securely clamp the lamp shade?

On Item 1. You said it turns on with no command from you. Does it turn off randomly -or just on? Have you installed any electrical or electronic equipment close to this item around the time you noticed this?

My comments may be of no assistance - just my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Hi

Thank you very much for replying to me. The diameter of the lamp fitting needed is 9cm (3.5"). I have the correct size shade (12") and the harp which is 6. but cannot find an adapter to fit the harp and therefore the shade. The adapters I've found are standard like this I found on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSLBSDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cannot find anything smaller. Do you think I might be able to get something smaller made if possible??

With regard to the touch lamp? It turns itself on at random, but there is no electrical equipment nearby, which make me think there is something wrong with the wiring.

Thanks once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Hi

Thank you very much for replying to me. The diameter of the lamp fitting needed is 9cm (3.5"). I have the correct size shade (12") and the harp which is 6. but cannot find an adapter to fit the harp and therefore the shade. The adapters I've found are standard like this I found on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSLBSDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cannot find anything smaller. Do you think I might be able to get something smaller made if possible??

With regard to the touch lamp? It turns itself on at random, but there is no electrical equipment nearby, which make me think there is something wrong with the wiring.

Thanks once again!

The harp saddle you linked is euro style that sits on top of the fitting, if you had an odd size fitting you'd might have better luck finding a harp saddle to fit under the fitting as that is likely a more standard thread size.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Regarding the touch lamp- a mystery.
    Did you re-position it possibly , before you noticed this random switching on of the lamp? Any change?

Advertisement