Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Memory Hard Drive

Options
  • 25-11-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking to buy an External Memory Hard Drive. I already have a 1TB Seagate Portable Hard Drive but its almost full to capacity and not functioning as it should. Can anyone recommend a better portable hard drive storage device. Thanks

i

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What do you mean it isn't functioning as it should?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

NIMAN wrote: »
    What do you mean it isn't functioning as it should?
    I can copy files that will play on the laptop but they fail to play on the HD regardless of the format

Not quite clear what you mean.

Are you saying if you copy a video file from the hard drive to your laptops hdd, it will open and play ok, but if you double click on the same video file on the hard drive, it'll not open and play on the laptop?

This isn't a fault of your seagate external drive.

If the external drive is storing data and you are able to see it's contents, copy to and from it, it's working fine. It might be slowing up as it nears capacity, but it doesn't sound faulty in any way.

Video file will play on laptop. I copy it to hd and try to play it but get a fault message

Logo wrote: »
    Video file will play on laptop. I copy it to hd and try to play it but get a fault message

Again, that's not a hdd problem.

Your hard drive is only a store of data. If it's moving files to and from it, it's working.

Your issue is somewhere else.

Are you using the same software to open the video file on the laptop and off the hard drive? Be it vlc media player or whatever.

• Advertisement

Thanks NIMAN.
    I can play the video file on the laptop. Then I connect the HD (1TB Seagate USB3.0 2.5-inch External Portable Hard Drive) and copy the file and try to play it while still connected to the laptop, but am getting the following error message: "Windows media player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to suppress the file".

Advertisement