Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KIA Sportage 2016, door rubber seal

• 25-11-2019 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi

My drivers side door seal has worn away and is now crumbling. This is the second seal as this happened previously. Surround is perfect but Kia are suggesting that this is wear and tear from rubbing and not covered under warranty (despit having replaced it once already) I have never had this issue on any other vehicle and driving over 30 years so I am not happy with this response. Car is very fresh and serviced bang on schedule etc and I have owned from new.

Has anyone else had similar issue and was it resolved under warranty?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

My gut is, this is similar to the Ford Ranger sill thing from earlier in the year.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057963627

It's wearing away due to something coming into contact with it by the sounds of what you're saying, which isn't warranty. If it was the rubber perishing or breaking down of its own accord, that would be covered, but wear and tear isn't.

The Sportage is high up (have you had an SUV/ crossover type car before?), are you sure you aren't clipping while getting in? Even very gently will build up over time.

Post a picture, that'll tell us a bit more in fairness to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Happy to post a pic later to clarify. The condition of my car is quite different to the Ranger but I understand where you are coming from of course.

Yeah, that's certainly a very extreme example with the Ranger.

I suppose I'm just drawing a relationship between manufacturers views to what constitutes wear and tear around the drivers door opening.

Pic

Looks like the plastic cover also shows signs of wear so most likely you are brushing against the seal when going in/out the car. Maybe the doors are shorter and the B pillar further up than your previous vehicles?

• Advertisement

Unusual to see it on the vertical edge, but I'd tend to agree with the above.

Tks for the replies, given the positioning and the potential(certainty) that it is going to come into contact as the driver enters and exits should the quality of the seal not be up to the job and more durable?

E30i wrote: »
    Tks for the replies, given the positioning and the potential(certainty) that it is going to come into contact as the driver enters and exits should the quality of the seal not be up to the job and more durable?

I see what you are saying, but if that's the case, why isn't that seal failing on every Sportage? If only yours is failing (repeatedly) is it possible your particular one is getting above average wear?

I see what you are saying, but if that's the case, why isn't that seal failing on every Sportage? If only yours is failing (repeatedly) is it possible your particular one is getting above average wear?

I suppose thats what I'm trying to establish, are others failing? some of the online forums mention the quality of the seal on previous model cars and failures and Kia replacing these under warranty.

I'm quite tall and drive with my seat fully back and that may be a factor, I'm not hard on cars or deliberately rubbing against any surface but I have to get in and out. I suggest Kia should account for all body types and not have a non durable material on a surface prone to wear depending on your body size?

Tks again for all your helpful and balanced feedback

Just wanted to update to say that KIA are sorting this out without too much hassle based on the points made. Only fair to acknowledge this.

May help others if they have this issue and find this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement