Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New driver, new to Ireland - insurance advice

Options
  • 25-11-2019 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Been researching this for a few weeks now and think I'm pretty close to losing my mind with all the different things online, so hoping people on here could give some advice!

I'm moving to Ireland from the UK in January, have a UK licence (got it Jan 2019) but haven't really driven since I got it, so no NCB, 33 years old, woman driver. Tried to get some online quotes, but everywhere I tried tells me to ring, so I don't even have a clear idea of the ballpark figure for car insurance.

Would it be best to...

1. get a car over ten years old (cheaper car) or less (possibly cheaper insurance)? Was hoping to get a small hatchback, maybe a 1.2 or 1.4 engine, but I don't know what would be best insurance-wise.

2. get a car and insurance and then swap my licence for an Irish one, or swap the licence first? Worried about Brexit deadlines and the time it could take (2-3 months apparently) before I get the Irish licence. Would which licence I use to get the insurance have an effect on the price?

3. Import a UK car - they seem to be a lot cheaper, but would the insurance be higher on an imported car? Plus, would have to get the plates changed fairly quickly too.

Would really appreciate any advice on this, my head is spinning looking at it all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you have a car in the UK and have had it for 6 months then importing this on change of residence would be wise. Many second hand cars have been imported from Britain so that will not in itself cause huge problems for insurance.
    Usually UK licences are equally regarded for insurance as Irish ones, but they may ask if you did your test there or swapped a licence from another country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement