Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your news?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You didn't get as far as the second paragraph then? 🙄

"The pioneering 24-hour news channel will be hiring hundreds of new employees for the service to be called CNN+ that will debut in early 2023."

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

Newspapers have gone to the dogs but how could it be otherwise, given the changes in how we get our news? Many newspapers aren't making the money they used to, which has reduced their resources. They now have to keep their websites updated throughout the day to keep up with their competitors. So is cheaper to have people writing opinion pieces and to get overexcited because some d-lister updated their Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

I certainly wouldn't be subscribing to any news outlet, every one of them seems to have some form of vested interest (varying sides etc), not doing the conspiracy nut thing but if Covid has taught us anything it's that they're all very polar, no alternative argument is entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You can day that but its a bit cynical. Some news outlets behave in that way and others don't (or they do it to a much lesser degree).

Some news topics are more opinion based than others such as financial policy or whether immigration or women are a good thing or not. And some news outlets have pretty clear stances on those questions. But other news sources are pretty straight down the line.

The Financial Times is a good source of news. The articles are short and usually pretty devoid of political bias. It takes a snippy tone when something is pretty obviously wrong, but it's generally very good.

Some topics are reported pretty well in various publications. Science and technology news (I don't mean advertisements for the latest phone disguised as a news article or an unbiased review) are usually available pretty freely and once you get past the sensational headline, they're usually very good.

I’ll admit the FT weren’t high on my radar, always thought it was a bit ‘above’ me tbh and never really considered, will definitely give their feed a look anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's an interesting idea to think a news outlets is above you and then complain that the news that isn't above you is crap. But with that said, I certainly consider tabloids below the standard of news I want. The FT is not all about stock prices for companies you've never heard of (which I probably thought it was before reading it).

It's a good news outlet. It's not free but you get what you pay for in this regard. If you use a "free" source of news then they rely on clicks for revenue so any old content that gets clicks will do. In other words, you're their product, not the consumer as they produce clicks and get paid by advertisers. If you pay for the news then you are the end consumer and they have to make good news to keep the consumers coming.

Just to clarify, I always associated the FT with more business related news than general, also didn’t realize there’s an Irish edition for news relevant to me, will check it out.

Don’t remember saying anything was crap, just biased in general, no I don’t use tabloids either just feeds like Irish Times,RTE, Examiner etc made me cynical (Though they could be tabloid, maybe).

Advertisement