Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway garage, SMALL job

• 25-11-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

Heading to Galway at the minute and a splash guard/mudguard has come off my Ford focus

I asked one place in Kinnegad and lifts full but shouldn't be more than 10

Went to car sales place just before motorway and wanted 20 again you power lift etc

I have the guard so basically need a screw and and a minutes labour

Thanks for any recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

20 sounds fine to me.

You need a minutes labour ... and premises, insurance, lift, mechanic, light, heat, equipment, paye, prsi, marketing etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

How much do you want it to cost? There has to be a minimum entry to these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Well if one a garage says 10 I don't expect to go five minutes up the road to be charged double

Maybe it's not all about money and the doing a good deed for people starting holidays might come back to them

jeffk wrote: »
    Well if one a garage says 10 I don't expect to go five minutes up the road to be charged double

Maybe it's not all about money and the doing a good deed for people starting holidays might come back to them

If you'd offered him 20 he might have moved one of the cars on the lifts and you'd be all done by now :)

Sure, if it's so straightforward and easy, do it yourself, but don't go to a business in the business of repairing cars and complain when said business wants to charge you for doing business.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    If you'd offered him 20 he might have moved one of the cars on the lifts and you'd be all done by now :)

Sure, if it's so straightforward and easy, do it yourself, but don't go to a business in the business of repairing cars and complain when said business wants to charge you for doing business.

If this is the attitude and general feeling I'll get then I'll have a go myself when I'm back so

• Advertisement

If this is the attitude and general feeling I'll get then I'll have a go myself when I'm back so

I wouldn't be so sure if its the attitude and general feeling you'll get. I've nothing to do with garages other than as a customer, so I don't speak for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Be the best thing to do I'd say.

You're looking essentially for a favour and you'd hope you'd find somewhere or someone nice that would still do a good turn.

The problem is, if you go in telling them, "it's only a small job, only worth €5", or whatever, that's not really the way to go about asking for a favour.

I'd say if you asked a garage to do it and didnt mention payment, they'd probably say not to worry about it, you'd feel bad asking a lad for a tenner.

Be the best thing to do I'd say.

You're looking essentially for a favour and you'd hope you'd find somewhere or someone nice that would still do a good turn.

The problem is, if you go in telling them, "it's only a small job, only worth €5", or whatever, that's not really the way to go about asking for a favour.

I'd say if you asked a garage to do it and didnt mention payment, they'd probably say not to worry about it, you'd feel bad asking a lad for a tenner.

I'd be throwing 5 of 10 at them anyway, price of a pint and all that

I'll found a place just outside the city recommended on this, might pass them on foot and ask

Tried said garage in Galway

Tenner at most

But then went into the I don't want to do it act

Rolling eyes and pulling faces looking me up and down
    Dunno when ramp will be free even if I ring
    Leave it with me for a hour or two and have a look

Time to give up and see myself unless anyone has any ideas, in Galway till Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Best to turn up to some tyre fitting place or small garage and say you’re stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I remember an anecdote similar to yours. Person goes into business A and gets a good price but they can't do the job. Business B can do the job but is double the price. When the customer asks B why they are twice A the answer is that when they can't do the job they can match the price A quoted.

Everyone knows that a small job is not worth the money because when something else comes up the person thinks that they are being ripped off and your small job is taking up a valuable ramp which could be making a lot more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm surprised it's under €25. That's the minimum spend is most places. Had the garage qualified staff, was he paying someone to work on cars?

I'm guessing here

But surely you can lock the steering
    Do or don't jack it up on a wheel jack
    Then get at it and surely some wrench can be used to screw a screw

Thus eliminate the wastage and in turn cost of a ramp

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm surprised it's under €25. That's the minimum spend is most places. Had the garage qualified staff, was he paying someone to work on cars?

Two lads, older one on the phone and then he got of car and stood looking at me like I was up to no good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Best to turn up to some tyre fitting place or small garage and say you’re stuck.

He’s not stuck though. It’s a mudguard.
    Fcuk it into the boot and fit it someday you are at home with time on your hands.
    You can’t expect to rock up to a garage you aren’t a regular in and expect lads up to their necks in work to down tools and clear a ramp for a stranger in off the street.
    Especially when the same stranger doesn’t value your work and has already put a 5 euro price tag on the work they want you to do but yet can’t do themselves.you would give that money to a childeen going to a shop ffs.
    Fcuk that.
    It wouldn’t pay them to move around cars to accommodate a 5 euro chancer.sounds harsh but that’s the truth of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I read it that he meant the wheel arch liner and a mudguard. There’s plenty garages that would throw a cable tie on it and probably not charge, and who’d be delighted with €10 or €20.

If it’s only a mud guard then I don’t see any rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

An efficient garage runs most profitably when cars are on lifts being worked on. Ideally they will have cars dropped to them early in the day or the previous evening in order to do jobs as they are processed with time on the lift being the most pertinent issue. A "simple" job of fitting a wheel liner or mud guard takes a car off a lift and a mechanic off the job. That can easily translate into 30 to 45 minutes of a mechanic being removed from the job and a car being left on a lift unattended or removed. The knock on effect costs time and most importantly for a business, money.

I think they call it a splash guard

Basically a hard mudguard from factory

Food for thought with cable tie

Toro Garage in Galway €10 today to put it on

One for Galway people to consider as was nice and no messing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Two lads, older one on the phone and then he got of car and stood looking at me like I was up to no good

He was probably thinking "this fella has the look of someone that wants something for nothing" :D

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    He was probably thinking "this fella has the look of someone that wants something for nothing" :D

He missed out on a big ten euro pay day lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He missed out on a big ten euro pay day lol

So you didn't even throw the person the price of a pint?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Toro Garage in Galway €10 today to put it on

One for Galway people to consider as was nice and no messing

I'm guessing pints arent over ten euro in Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I'm guessing pints arent over ten euro in Galway?

Ah here

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Ah here

What?

The general attitude is I should have paid and I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What?

The general attitude is I should have paid and I did

You wouldn't be heading back to Cavan by any chance would ya?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You wouldn't be heading back to Cavan by any chance would ya?

Change the c for a n so maybe the same mainess

Advertisement