Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance up for renewal, premiums seem to be higher this year, any good deals?

• 25-11-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,791 ✭✭✭✭

Time to renew the house insurance, and notice the premium is higher than usual.

Did the usual online search and all the insurers are high.

Did anyone get any good home insurance premiums they want to share, in case I'm missing an insurer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

You try Allianz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭jj880

Delta2113 wrote: »
    You try Allianz?

I just got a phone call from BOI home insurance - they say they will beat your premium by 50 euro if you send them your quote. Like for like cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

jj880 wrote: »
    I just got a phone call from BOI home insurance - they say they will beat your premium by 50 euro if you send them your quote. Like for like cover.

Be very careful about claims such as like for like. Sums insured may be the same but there is no way they are going to tailor exact cover, exclusions, excesses. and conditions for each customer away from their standard policy wording.

Personally, I'd never place any general insurance policy with a bank

Be very careful about claims such as like for like. Sums insured may be the same but there is no way they are going to tailor exact cover, exclusions, excesses. and conditions for each customer away from their standard policy wording.

Personally, I'd never place any general insurance policy with a bank

Thats a good point - didnt think of that.

I have another quote from Chill insurance for 210 euro - I think the policy is with Zurich - I will probably go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,791 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hadn't tried boi.

Yip, tried Allianz already. Expensive at 366. And we have 2 cars with them already! So much for customer loyalty.

Chill was 320.

• Advertisement

Boi quote was 284.
    My renewal with AXA is 277.

So if I call BOI they might drop to 234?
    Out of interest, why would you not insure your home with a bank? Would the policy not be underwritten by an insurer?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Boi quote was 284.
    My renewal with AXA is 277.

So if I call BOI they might drop to 234?
    Out of interest, why would you not insure your home with a bank? Would the policy not be underwritten by an insurer?

I filled in BOI website for quote. They rang me about a week later and said they would beat any quote by 50 euro. So dunno if you ask but you never know.

I filled in BOI website for quote. They rang me about a week later and said they would beat any quote by 50 euro. So dunno if you ask but you never know.

They have the 50 euro offer on their main website.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

We moved to An Post this year for both cars and house insurance. Wasn’t a huge amount cheaper but better then nothing. I also like the fact that you can talk to a real human. I’ve had to call a couple of times this year to add one of the kids to the policy and it was a pleasure to just talk to someone! My last insurance company would only deal via web chat.

Must try An Post too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I got a great deal from Liberty this year via Chill Insurance.

Phoning up is always better than online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Hadn't tried boi.

Yip, tried Allianz already. Expensive at 366. And we have 2 cars with them already! So much for customer loyalty.

Chill was 320.

Out of interest if you don't mind giving us some details what size house and contents are you looking to insure. I have been paying between €400-€500 in the last few years.

The insurer is not the issue. It's the competence of the personnel arranging the cover on your behalf with the insurer. My opinion follows nearly 40 years experience in dealing with them on insurance matters

I called AXA back and told them about the BoI offer to take 50 off anyone's renewal.

So they dropped it by 25.

I stayed with them. 245. Happy with that for 202k building and 52k contents.

Called 123.ie and said BOI were gona insure me for 160 (50 less than Chill quote of 210) and they dropped from 254 to 194 euro. Will stay with 123.ie at that.

Called 123.ie and said BOI were gona insure me for 160 (50 less than Chill quote of 210) and they dropped from 254 to 194 euro. Will stay with 123.ie at that.

Please check your new policy documents to ensure they haven't changed your cover (excess etc) to make their new premium fit.

Please check your new policy documents to ensure they haven't changed your cover (excess etc) to make their new premium fit.

Would it not be a requirement that they would have to tell you they did this?

Would it not be a requirement that they would have to tell you they did this?

They can cover themselves by saying it is in the documentation they supply which, as you probably know, can have more pages than War and Peace

They can cover themselves by saying it is in the documentation they supply which, as you probably know, can have more pages than War and Peace

123.ie will send an updated email with new premium and all documents. Not hard to compare them.

123.ie will send an updated email with new premium and all documents. Not hard to compare them.

While I find reading insurance documents quite easy, I know many don't

• Advertisement

While I find reading insurance documents quite easy, I know many don't

Alt + Tab is your friend. Easy to compare quickly on a laptop / PC.

Advertisement