Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Championship 2019 26/11 - 8/12 BBC/Eurosport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Stevens needs some decent safety shots now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Dante7 wrote: »
    I've still to put my dinner on!

Only Selbo could prevent a man from enjoying his dinner until the wee hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

What a horrible player to play against (selby)

cadaliac wrote: »
    What a horrible player to play against (selby)

And not much better to watch.

Here we go, hon Mathew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Go on my son

Yes

Get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont know why selby played that red so hard, very strange execution. Better player won anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Selby must be rowing with the missus. He doesn't want to go home.

Ohh, the ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

What a fluke. Don't leave a free ball whatever you do. Oh, brilliant snooker.

Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Excellent. So positive from Stevens

84% v 78% pot success. That tells a story. Doesnt always have to be swashbuckling potfests to be enjoyable though. All part of the great game of snooker!

• Advertisement

Calling it a **** match misses the whole point of snooker imo, I enjoyed that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Stevens up against his drinking buddy Stephen Maguire in the next round. The winner of that match will most likely be up against the third of the drinking amigos Mark Allen.

Stevens up against his drinking buddy Stephen Maguire in the next round. The winner of that match will most likely be up against the third of the drinking amigos Mark Allen.

My money on Allen (dinking wise)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Battle of the Bellies

Personally, delighted to see some boozers in the game

• Advertisement

Too many snow flakes and PC people in sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Today's quarterfinals...

1 pm

Ding Junhui vs Liang Wenbo

John Higgins vs Yan Bingtao

7 pm

Stephen Maguire vs Matthew Stevens

Mark Allen vs Nigel Bond

So the top half of the draw is now dominated by China and the bottom half by home nations boozers.

Not a mouth watering quarter final line up by any means. Ding can be class at times but for a long time now he looks abput as interested as a vegan in a butchers. He could cure insomnia.

Higgins v Yan is a good match. The best of the bunch.

The less said about the two evening sessions the better. Some real beauties there.

Overall it's pretty disappointing weeks snooker for me. Not a vintage UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

The less said about the two evening sessions the better. Some real beauties there.

I'd love to see Bond do a number on Allen, I cannot warm to the chap at all. Probably unlikely, but one can hope. I do love an underdog story too

Inviere wrote: »
    I'd love to see Bond do a number on Allen, I cannot warm to the chap at all. Probably unlikely, but one can hope. I do love an underdog story too

Me neither. Never liked his style of play either. He'll beat Bond comfortably, though.

It's been an unpredictable championship but I've enjoyed it so far. I don't like seeing the same old faces in the quarterfinals every time.

It's been an unpredictable championship but I've enjoyed it so far. I don't like seeing the same old faces in the quarterfinals every time.

I'm not a fan if Ding, Maguire, Wenbo or Allen so to have 4 players in quarters that your not a fan of is pretty crap.

Me neither. Never liked his style of play either. He'll beat Bond comfortably, though.

I don't enjoy his style of play either, particularly his penchant for negatively rolling up to a pack of reds. It's his 'angry man' persona though that makes me roll my eyes and reach for the remote. You're right though it should be a comfortable win for him today (unfortunately)

I don't enjoy his style of play either, particularly his penchant for negatively rolling up to a pack of reds. It's his 'angry man' persona though that makes me roll my eyes and reach for the remote. You're right though it should be a comfortable win for him today (unfortunately)

Yes, he likes to portray his lack of nerves and his unbreakable spirit a little too much for me.

• Advertisement

Higgins coming into the arena to Fairytale of New York. Nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy f....." bit?

Cringe

The Nal wrote: »
    "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy f....." bit?

That term in context of the song isn't referring to homosexual males in the pejorative, it was an old word used to refer to a repugnant male. Sure the word is toxic now because of how it is used in modern times, but people go a bit ott about it.

After a battle on the pink, Yan takes a 2-1 lead over Higgins.

Starting with a Fairytale of New York, will it finish with a Nightmare of York for the Wizzard of Wishaw? Hope so, come on Yan the Man.

The Wizard could use a bit of Christmas magic here as he falls 1-3 behind at the midsession interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

So the top half of the draw is now dominated by China and the bottom half by home nations boozers.

Higgins has definitely ended up on the wrong side of that draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Always looks like a great atmosphere this weekend in York. The crowd all warmed up for Christmas, down to the last 8. Few wee drams over the afternoon. One table from tomorrow. Proper snooker weather. Nice

Will make it over some year, seems a nice old town, and only slightly more difficult to get to than Sheffield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That term in context of the song isn't referring to homosexual males in the pejorative, it was an old word used to refer to a repugnant male. Sure the word is toxic now because of how it is used in modern times, but people go a bit ott about it.

I find the word toxic offensive. I remember the days it only used when referring to chemicals and the like. Now it is used for everything. I suppose it won't be long before the phrase 'toxic snooker' is used! :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Higgins being tactically outsmarted for a change. Hope Yan wins it out.

They did a great bit of analysis on the red button - with McManus talking about Allen and then Higgins cue action.
    They even went on about how Allen said years ago to Davis (the time he used to interview fellas in the car) that he wanted to lose weight. But they noted that he still has not done it.

They then theorised that the table becomes bigger when you are 'bulky' able to play less shots. Which they said was part of the reason that Allen is better at the business end of the table. With his short bridge etc.

As for Higgins - Davis said he has such a low cue action he sometimes has to raise the cue back up again through the stroke.Then could have a tendency to get 'caught' by the table itself. As a result they said that Higgins tries to keep his right shoulder up and not let it drop.

I find McManus and Davis great at that technical stuff - gives something to watch out for in games.

Higgins being tactically outsmarted for a change. Hope Yan wins it out.

Yan seems like a real clever player, well able for Higgins on the match play stuff.
    Hard to believe Yan is only 19 looks much older, and plays much more sensibly than you would think a fella his age would play.

Yan looking a bit nervy in this frame but I hope he hangs in there and wins it. Higgins has played poorly all tournament and doesn't deserve to make the semis. And I think Ding/Yan could be a great match.

Higgins awful today, looks uncomfortable on the table whether its cloth or cushions or something. But if you dont bury him as yan has failed to do, then his survival instincts kick in and getting over the line is a trial. Higgins in trouble now though!

• Advertisement

Well this has to be it now.

And that's it! Yan is through 6-3.

And that's it! Yan is through 6-3.

A fitting result, Higgins looked rough out there.

A fitting result, Higgins looked rough out there.

He even admitted in the post-match interview that he was rubbish and deserved to lose.

He even admitted in the post-match interview that he was rubbish and deserved to lose.

He was an absolute monster on the baize for a long long time. Those two recent Crucible finals have changed him though, he's a shadow of himself. I suppose the years are catching up with him too, but he could very easily have been level with Ronnie with 5 Crucible wins. Anyway, it's nice to see fresh faces this far into a major, so there's that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement