Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Championship 2019 26/11 - 8/12 BBC/Eurosport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

You serious? Never heard of anyone with a pot success of 97% over 6 frames. That is ridiculous.

He missed one pot out of more than a hundred in the first 4 frames, and that was when he was well past the snookers required stage and just trying to keep the break going.

Easily the best I have ever seen him play. He has all the talent to be a world champion if only he can get his attitude and temperament under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Inviere wrote: »
    Yeah he was outstanding, proper proper standard. I doubt it's sustainable, but he'll remember that performance for a long time no doubt

Yea sounds almost flawless. Without seeing it i kind of thought Allen must have been out of sorts but with a stat like that sounds like Maguire had the match of his life. 97% wow must have only missed a handful of balls all night.

He missed one pot out of more than a hundred in the first 4 frames, and that was when he was well past the snookers required stage and just trying to keep the break going.

Easily the best I have ever seen him play. He has all the talent to be a world champion if only he can get his attitude and temperament under control.

Jaysus thats off the richter scale. Didnt think he had that in him. Hats off.

On Fire Maguire v the Chinese Dragon. Things could get hot in York today by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

97% is outstanding, very occasionally a good player gets in the zone and misses virtually nothing. But thats mostly ronnie territory. I'm sure ronnie has beaten that occasionally, hammered wilson in a final a couple of years ago and hardly remember him missing a ball in it. Or the time he demolished poor marco fu at the masters. But mags performance was in that wheelhouse.

Again i ask though, will he bring it with him today when he needs it? Certainly hope for the sake of the final he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie was 98% that day...Missed I think 4 balls in 11 frames.

I'd a similiar high perecentage rate the last time i played couple of weeks back. I missed 92 of my first 100 shots.

I'm sure going back the years you could find comparable performances. Clive Everton still maintains Alex Higgins performance in the 72 world final is among the best he's witnessed and I'll cheerfully take the great man's word on thst.

The greatest match I've seen was the charity challenge final between ronnie and hendry in which ronnie clawed back a huge deficit only to lose to a hendry maxi in the decider. Dont know what pot stats were that day but I'd wager both were in minimum mid 90s and they were days you couldn't simply aim a ball at the far jaw and still expect it to drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Just 12hrs behind cadillac, still it was new to you and you enjoyed it

• Advertisement

Ding breaks off in the first frame. Hard to know how this will go, but I fancy Ding to edge Maguire over the longer distance.

I'm sure going back the years you could find comparable performances. Clive Everton still maintains Alex Higgins performance in the 72 world final is among the best he's witnessed and I'll cheerfully take the great man's word on thst.

The greatest match I've seen was the charity challenge final between ronnie and hendry in which ronnie clawed back a huge deficit only to lose to a hendry maxi in the decider. Dont know what pot stats were that day but I'd wager both were in minimum mid 90s and they were days you couldn't simply aim a ball at the far jaw and still expect it to drop.

Yes that was unreal. Think Hendry was 8-2 up at one stage before Ronnie brought it back to 9-9 only for Hendry to clinch it with a maximum. Fantastic stuff. Didn't Ronnie win a final (Welsh Open perhaps) by finishing with a maximum? What a way to clinch it. I'd love to see a 147 live.

I'll go 10-8 Ding. Thought both these players were on the slide, especially Maguire who has done nothing in donkeys years but i guess with all the tournaments these days most players will find a bit of form at some stage (even if its every 5 yesrs or more) and reach a semi final or final.

Solid enough from ding. Somehow dont see this being a 97% day for either. Whoever makes least mistakes wins, probably ding but maguire will have his moments.

Great to see Ding giving Maguire a lesson.

Watching a bit before the Scottish league cup final. Is Maguire wearing black runners to go with not wearing a tie or bow? He looks unkempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Story of Maguire’s career, brilliant one day, average or worse the next.

Watching a bit before the Scottish league cup final. Is Maguire wearing black runners to go with not wearing a tie or bow? He looks unkempt.

Only just out of a cast, broke his leg recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Yeah I noticed the runners too. The commentators mentioned in the first or second frame that he has an injured right foot

I would say brilliant one day, average the other 364 days.

Only just out of a cast, broke his leg recently.

Ok, fair enough.

• Advertisement

Yeah I noticed the runners too. The commentators mentioned in the first or second frame that he has an injured right foot

👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

True, a very inconsistent player, he's mentally weak also, if something small goes wrong he often lets it get to him and falls apart.
    It says a lot about the standard in this tournament that Maguire reached the final and the likes of Nigel bond got so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

tanko wrote: »
    True, a very inconsistent player, he's mentally weak also, if something small goes wrong he often lets it get to him and falls apart.
    It says a lot about the standard in this tournament that Maguire reached the final and the likes of Nigel bond got so far.

Things do seem to get to him. If he could channel that better he'd reach his potential a lot more often, because he's naturally a very aggressive and skillful player. He has fire in his belly too, but that fire reaches his brain at times unfortunately for him.

Made hard enough work of winning that frame in the end, would have been disaster if he'd let ding back into that. At least he's on the board anyway.

Great frame to win by Maguire there

That was a brave blue he took on, got his reward. We have a match now at least.

Beautiful piece of cuing by Ding spoiled by an outrageous kick. Ball nearly ended up in the audience.

What's happened Ding? Nightmare to let him back into this match.

Shocking miss by Maguire on the blue. Should never have left it short.

Yeah, so instead of being pleased with 5-3 he’ll be annoyed it’s not 4-4. Still, the match is nicely poised now for this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I expect McGuire to have a few mini meltdowns later tonight. Twill be a good match though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Steve Davis was making out it was a kick, as Maguire looked puzzled when he missed. And Ding had the ball cleaned afterwards

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Announced during the afternoon session today.

https://www.worldsnooker.com/saudi-arabia-to-host-world-snooker-tour-event/

There appears no end to the Saudi sportswashing of their human rights abuses, and no end to the sports who want to sign up to go there. Given the amount of money floating around you can see why anybody or any sporting body throws their principles to one side. Hearn said it himself... 'everyone’s coming, and they’re all coming for one reason – they want the money'.

velo.2010 wrote: »

There appears no end to the Saudi sportswashing of their human rights abuses, and no end to the sports who want to sign up to go there. Given the amount of money floating around you can see why anybody or any sporting body throws their principles to one side. Hearn said it himself... 'everyone’s coming, and they’re all coming for one reason – they want the money'.

500k for the winner I believe they said. Jason Ferguson was going on about the growth of the game of snooker. Exciting time etc.

velo.2010 wrote: »

Good to see how Maguire, Higgins and Allen get on after a drinking session over there. 'Up the Celts!'

500k for the winner I believe they said. Jason Ferguson was going on about the growth of the game of snooker. Exciting time etc.

Feel sad for players. Easy for likes of woods and mcilroy to turn down huge money from autocratic regimes, but snooker players dont make big money and this is a chance they won't otherwise get. I wont blame any of them for going but won't be watching it myself.

Feel sad for players. Easy for likes of woods and mcilroy to turn down huge money from autocratic regimes, but snooker players dont make big money and this is a chance they won't otherwise get. I wont blame any of them for going but won't be watching it myself.

I agree with your stance. I would not watch it either. Disgusting regime. I would like to see some players bouycot it, as plenty are doing well for themselves and money shouldn't corrupt the soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Is maguire as much of a boozer as you are making out? Genuinely don’t know, moreover don’t follow these guys on social media

I will probably still watch it. Sure in all sports I would have watched teams or individuals playing on behalf of/or in questionable organisations / the individuals themselves.
    If I took things to the full level I would end up watching hardly sport at all!

• Advertisement

7-3 to Ding now. This is slipping away from Maguire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I agree with your stance. I would not watch it either. Disgusting regime. I would like to see some players bouycot it, as plenty are doing well for themselves and money shouldn't corrupt the soul.

£500k first prize and £2.5m total prize money. Very hard to turn that down. Will be interesting to see what happens with visas for the Iranian lads and for Eden Sharav. I suspect that will be solved. Barry Hearn has said they have been negotiating it for the last 18 months and that the female referees won't be subject to a dress code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Just 12hrs behind cadillac, still it was new to you and you enjoyed it

Wife away for the weekend = beer + loosing 12 hours 🀣

I will probably still watch it. Sure in all sports I would have watched teams or individuals playing on behalf of/or in questionable organisations / the individuals themselves.
    If I took things to the full level I would end up watching hardly sport at all!

I wouldnt blame you at all tbh. I wouldnt make myself out to be any great moral referee and am probably a hypocrite half the time when it comes to it. But i do think theres a line there and this is way the wrong side of it for me. Didn't watch the boxing the other night either, hearns coining it in.

It’ll be a miserable experience for the lower ranked players who get knocked out in the early rounds. Attendances will be low early on. Expensive flight, no prize money, playing in an empty arena.

7-3 to Ding now. This is slipping away from Maguire.

Felt he was bit unlucky there, tough red he missed. Ding more clinical, hard to stop now i think.

• Advertisement

It’ll be a miserable experience for the lower ranked players who get knocked out in the early rounds. Attendances will be low early on. Expensive flight, no prize money, playing in an empty arena.

There is prize money for all 128, would have to be. Dont know how much but you can bet they won't be out of pocket anyway. Despots always look after their invited guests!

I wouldnt blame you at all tbh. I wouldnt make myself out to be any great moral referee and am probably a hypocrite half the time when it comes to it. But i do think theres a line there and this is way the wrong side of it for me. Didn't watch the boxing the other night either, hearns coining it in.

Dead right. I have refused to attend any Irish soccer game for the last few years as my own personal protest with that FAI shower. Doesn't matter a difference to them but they wont be getting one cent off me again after all the corruption. That small protest of tossing tennis balls on the pitch was pathetic. They still paid in and thats all that mob want. Sometimes you just got to take a stance however small and insignificant it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Imagine if the players contrived to allow Reanne Evans win. That would be just glorious.

What a red by Maguire!

Ding’s potting is so accurate into the middle pockets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement