Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Championship 2019 26/11 - 8/12 BBC/Eurosport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Ding looking good for his fourth triple crown win i believe. Three UKs and one Masters. For a player of his undoubted class i think it is a below par return. To not win the big one is disappointing. Only one World final appearance is not a good record. But hats off to him making the breakthrough for the Chinese invasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Can’t see Maguire coming back from this. I’d say it’ll finish 10-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Few people on the Beeb saying the next 10 years will be dominated by the Chinese. Heard that before.

Ronnie's not playing in the Masters. Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hearn saying no darts player would ever refuse a 9 dart finish with no bonus, in obvious dig at Ronnie. But heard van gerwen say he would do exactly that on telly just a few weeks back!

The Nal wrote: »
    Few people on the Beeb saying the next 10 years will be dominated by the Chinese. Heard that before.

Ronnie's not playing in the Masters. Odd.

It's a numbers game i guess. Was always going to take a while before the Chinese started to get more and more players onto the tour but i think its beginning to happen and i think they will begin to dominate over the next decade or so.and when they do there will be no going back. I even heard snooker is on the school curriculum over there now so while most of our snooker clubs are long gone or soon to go these boys are being thought in school. Do the math.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Ding gone off the boil a bit here. It's not over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Hearn saying no darts player would ever refuse a 9 dart finish with no bonus, in obvious dig at Ronnie. But heard van gerwen say he would do exactly that on telly just a few weeks back!

Meaningless comparison. If you refuse a 9 dart finish your opponent can still win the leg. A frame of snooker is over after 80 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Maguire is hitting the ball beautifully right now.

Wakey wakey Ding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Maguire is hitting the ball beautifully right now.

It is a mad final. The funny part is the studio seem to be implying that Ding is flaky, and are not saying the same about Maguire! :confused:

When you think about it both fellas arguably have underachieved.
    I saw a pre-match interview with Maguire where he said he does not think about 'underachievement' anymore and just plays the game.

Ding has gone the other way and seems to have redoubled his workrate practice etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

On fire Maguire playing beautifully now.

It's a numbers game i guess. Was always going to take a while before the Chinese started to get more and more players onto the tour but i think its beginning to happen and i think they will begin to dominate over the next decade or so.and when they do there will be no going back. I even heard snooker is on the school curriculum over there now so while most of our snooker clubs are long gone or soon to go these boys are being thought in school. Do the math.

This is probably correct in that it is a numbers game. I'm not sure the likes of parrott when they talk the curriculum truly know what goes on in china, its just something he heard a few years ago, but if they keep producing generations of even half decent players while the uk and Ireland declines, then the balance of power has to shift and we end up with 2 majors in china and the world champs in saudia arabia!

This is probably correct in that it is a numbers game. I'm not sure the likes of parrott when they talk the curriculum truly know what goes on in china, its just something he heard a few years ago, but if they keep producing generations of even half decent players while the uk and Ireland declines, then the balance of power has to shift and we end up with 2 majors in china and the world champs in saudia arabia!

I remember a good few years ago thier was talk of the World Championship going to China. Parrott was one of those who was dead set against it - because of 'tradition'.

😀😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Maguire is going to have to win four in a row now, hard to see that happening.

Class break should put a halt to Maguires mini-revival.

I remember a good few years ago thier was talk of the World Championship going to China. Parrott was one of those who was dead set against it - because of 'tradition'.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek admittedly. I do think world champs will simply outgrow crucible at some stage but i truly hope its not for many years yet!

tanko wrote: »
    Maguire is going to have to win four in a row now, hard to see that happening.

He nearly did earlier in the game!

Beautiful 131 break from Ding and it's hard to see Maguire stopping him now.

• Advertisement

Ding has been solid through the match. Mags not actually played bad, just could never quite get on his coattails to apply the squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Didn't realise it was 8 years since Dings last major!

Beautiful 131 break from Ding and it's hard to see Maguire stopping him now.

The 2-3 shots that Ding played to free up the black were exquisite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

It's a pity Stephen Hendry isn't doing the commentary. I find Alan McManus bloody hard to listen to.

It's a pity Stephen Hendry isn't doing the commentary. I find Alan McManus bloody hard to listen to.

Ah I like McManus think he is the best of the commentators/analysts. Different take on things than most, adds in nuggets of info. Plus comes out with stuff like 'as wide as the clyde'.

He seems to have a mini orgasm over the most rudimentary of shots. And wearing a cravat in the ITV studio was cringe.

• Advertisement

Fantastic Ding boy. Class wins out. Finish in style. Ding is back!

Well done to both players. Very high-quality final ending with four consecutive centuries. Ding a well-deserved champion.

Fantastic Ding boy. Class wins out. Finish in style. Ding is back!

Loved that final clearance. Brown to final red, absolute peach of a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Well done Ding, very enjoyable final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Very sweet Interview by Ding.

And very gratuitous by Stephen.

Result was well deserved. Fair play Ding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

200k o wow. A one weeks wage for a crap footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Video chatting with his daughter in the interval and she's started walking while he's gone... Some sacrifice, delighted for him.

The skill deserves more, how on earth is the prize money so low

If he can keep this standard going then Ding v Trump at the Masters would be something to look forward to. The sport needs Ding back at his best to challenge Trump’s recent dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

That final frame was filthy from Ding. Launching the black ball and it ends up hitting the camera? Snooker has it's new bad boy.

Absolutely delighted for him.

The skill deserves more, how on earth is the prize money so low

Look at the list of sponsors - all low level bookies. Just not able to attract the big banks and financial institutions with their big bags of money.

Did they say during interview that ding is living back in china full time now? Big commitment to make in terms of travelling but makes sense if he's happier in himself i guess.

I thought he lived in Sheffield?

I thought he lived in Sheffield?

He did for years. I do recall they moved back to china either after marriage or birth of child but thought that was temporary. Just thought hazel said it during interview but i could have picked it up wrong.

Anyway, amazing to think its 14 years he first won it and still only 32! When he moved to sheffield first he was actually living with an irish lass, as a tenant as opposed to relationship!

weemcd wrote: »
    That final frame was filthy from Ding. Launching the black ball and it ends up hitting the camera? Snooker has it's new bad boy.

Absolutely delighted for him.

😀😀 Bad Boy Ding

• Advertisement

Ronnie said Ding is a class act, like a boss of the mafia or Al Pacino. Not sure Lucky Lucciano, John Gotti or Paul Castellano were 'class acts'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

I can't take to the game the same way since hearn butchered the pockets

Call me a tradionalist but I like to see centuries hard got

Berserker5 wrote: »
    I can't take to the game the same way since hearn butchered the pockets

Call me a tradionalist but I like to see centuries hard got

Definately far easier to bang in the big breaks now with the lighter balls and fine cloths. Im not sure if the pockets are bigger than before? Reccord tonnes for the UK last year and broken again this year. It's a tonne fest.

Look at the list of sponsors - all low level bookies. Just not able to attract the big banks and financial institutions with their big bags of money.

SOunds like a badly run show. Barry Hearn is so 1980's . It's a joke that the money is so low. The whole game needs a shake up.

On the pockets, i took a screengrab of this martin gould shot from the champion of champions because i thought it was most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in the game. Remember - this is a pot!

SOunds like a badly run show. Barry Hearn is so 1980's . It's a joke that the money is so low. The whole game needs a shake up.

The money is decent now. Stop comparing it to football where it's like monopoly money at this stage. A lot of these snooker players make a good living for doing what they love. Id swap in a heartbeat if i had the talent. They get to travel the world now. Snooker is in rude health and its only going to get better. Pity it's almost dead in Ireland.

I'm definitely no fan of barry hearn but to be honest, I'm not sure the demand is out there. They should be doing more to try and attract sponsors who arent bookies though. But some will tell you the game was nearly dead before hearn took over so he's a god in some peoples eyes!!

I'm definitely no fan of barry hearn but to be honest, I'm not sure the demand is out there. They should be doing more to try and attract sponsors who arent bookies though. But some will tell you the game was nearly dead before hearn took over so he's a god in some peoples eyes!!

He's done a great job in my opinion.

He's done a great job in my opinion.

There is varying opinion on the matter i would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

On the pockets, i took a screengrab of this martin gould shot from the champion of champions because i thought it was most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in the game. Remember - this is a pot!

Could be hugging the cushion with running side? But not pacey to allow it to drop

Advertisement