Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Needed - To Hue/Bridge or Not to Hue/Bridge

• 25-11-2019 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I’ve started on the long, but enjoyable road of IOT devices, by purchasing a Nest Thermostat, Nest Protect and some TP lInk smart plugs.
    (The smart plugs activate strip-lights underneath the TV presses – on at sunset off at 11pm)

I also have 2 x TP Link (2 Ethernet Port) Pass-through Powerline Plugs
    One connected to the modem/router and the other in the living room connecting the TV and Sat Receiver.

Now I’d like to automate the following and need advice re same;
    • lighting in my hall
    • fit an outside light & sensor over the front door,
    • and in the very near future add some security devices
    (door & window motion sensors and a bell box alarm)

Hall Lighting:
    (see pics 1 & 2):

At the moment there’s 5 x gu10 bulbs, activated by the 1st switch from the left (see pic1)
    The 2nd switch activates a non-smart, PIR-connected bulb inside the porch.

I haven’t a clue if there's neutral wire behind the switch?
    As I understand it, no neutral wire means a hub/bridge is required??

If I have to purchase a HUE/Bridge then a must for me is that it is Google/Nest compatible

If the light switch can be replaced with a smart type (but no HUE/bridge) – then what’s best ??

I’d like the lights here to turn on, post sunset/dusk under various scenarios and they should turn off if no one is in the hall after 1 minute.

Porch – Outdoor Sensor & Light:
    Inside, the porch has one electrical socket, which I’m replacing with a double.
    (At the moment my modem/router is here but I’m moving it into the kitchen).
    Plan is to connect another TP-Link Powerline plug but this one will have built in WiFi extender.

What I’d like to create here is that when, from dusk/sunset onwards, someone approaches the front door from the outside, the new outdoor sensor activates the new light and if possible one of the living room strip-lights turns off & then back on.

Also, from the inside, when someone approaches / opens the front door, the outdoor light is activated

Re-wiring the light switches is not an option & if possible I’d prefer not to go the Hub/bridge route (cost wise) but if it simplifies/future proofs overall what I want to do, then so be it.

Decisions to be made prior to the “discounts” that comes with black-Friday don’t you know.

Such 3rd world problems !!!

Advertisement