Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap bike for 10k a day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Stupid question, but is there safe place to lock bike at the Luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Stupid question, but is there safe place to lock bike at the Luas?

Lock it at Level 3 at the Square with the rest of the bikes. Because all the lovely people tend to hang around there the CCTV points at the racks and there is plenty of security about.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

I had the vitus vee. Simple bike. Very comfortable. Very good on the flat, but a bit over geared for hills.

over-geared? Too many like? Can you have too many?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Over geared = as in hard to climb up steep hills.

If your commute is not very hilly its a good option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

If you're considering using it for a triathlon at some stage, I'd at least look at something with slimmer tyres.

Or take a look at road bike options. You might not want "a racer" but you might be glad of something a bit slimmed down if you do decide to do one. It'll make your commute quicker and easier too.

I've had a couple of bikes stolen from the Square over the years. Nice bike + The Square = only a matter of time in my view.

You might be better to have a look at adverts.ie or donedeal for a cheap banger - just do what you can to make sure you're not buying a stolen bike if you do go down that route.

thejaguar wrote: »
    If you're considering using it for a triathlon at some stage, I'd at least look at something with slimmer tyres.

Or take a look at road bike options. You might not want "a racer" but you might be glad of something a bit slimmed down if you do decide to do one. It'll make your commute quicker and easier too.

I've had a couple of bikes stolen from the Square over the years. Nice bike + The Square = only a matter of time in my view.

You might be better to have a look at adverts.ie or donedeal for a cheap banger - just do what you can to make sure you're not buying a stolen bike if you do go down that route.

thanks. Was looking to go cheap and cheerful and then use the bike to work scheme to make it cheaper. I don't see the point in spending mad money just because it will be discounted as I don't expect to be wanting anything particularly great in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

A neighbour has a beater from Decathlon as his town bike and something nicer for the weekends. The Decathlon bike may not be in the budget range you'd be (less than un) happy to say goodbye to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I really wouldn't blow the bike to work on a bike to be left at a luas stop.

fwiw, my first none bike shaped object when I started back was a Carrera Zelos, and that's still going as my permanent turbo bike. If I was in your boat, I'd be looking at Decathlon Triban 100 (flat or dropped bar) as they have mounts for a pannier, which the zelos doesn't (or didn't).

I've no intention of using it for anything else in the next 5 years to be honest. It'll be a commute and possibly on the top of the car to France instead of renting when over there.

I think I'm more a flat bar type of guy!

I'm a bit weary of buying anything that comes in a box from somewhere i can't go back into with a problem!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Get the Vitus, either but the middle would be more cheap and cheerful. The first bike is muck, do not get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

340 is very specific! At that price point, you'd possibly get better bang for your buck by going secondhand.

340 is very specific! At that price point, you'd possibly get better bang for your buck by going secondhand.

Well you know what I mean. I could have said 350 to be round but....;)

CramCycle wrote: »
    Get the Vitus, either but the middle would be more cheap and cheerful. The first bike is muck, do not get it.

To put my view in perspective, I owned the middle.one (it got nicked) and commuted with comfort 17km each way. It is slower than a road bike but I covered that 17km with multiple lights and town traffic in 45minutes without killing myself. Pumped the tyres hard for road riding and it was mighty craic just bombing away and no concern for bumps along the way. I would be quite cycle fit but for most people I imagine the cycle you describe would be 30minutes max (and that is being super conservative). Buy or and get two decent locks in your budget, job done. It will resell for a reasonable % of the RRP. What height are you though, they only have Small left.

CramCycle wrote: »
    To put my view in perspective, I owned the middle.one (it got nicked) and commuted with comfort 17km each way. It is slower than a road bike but I covered that 17km with multiple lights and town traffic in 45minutes without killing myself. Pumped the tyres hard for road riding and it was mighty craic just bombing away and no concern for bumps along the way. I would be quite cycle fit but for most people I imagine the cycle you describe would be 30minutes max (and that is being super conservative). Buy or and get two decent locks in your budget, job done. It will resell for a reasonable % of the RRP. What height are you though, they only have Small left.

I'm 6 foot one. So im guessing the middle one is out then. Any thoughts on the last one?

peteb2 wrote: »
    I'm 6 foot one. So im guessing the middle one is out then. Any thoughts on the last one?

same height as me, so yes, you need the large/medium one. The last one is essentially the same frame, better brakes apparently and gear but in the long run, both of these will entail more maintenance. It is also a kilo heavier. Still better than the first one, more versatile than the middle one but a tad bit more work in both cycling (weight) and maintenance..

Ideally I'd love to get something in a bricks and mortar shop just for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Yeah just buy any old yoke for the commute, then have a decent bike for leisure.

peteb2 wrote: »
    Ideally I'd love to get something in a bricks and mortar shop just for what it is.

For that money, your going to be hauling a ton of junk around that weighs over 14kg. Take a punt and go on adverts or similar, or else buy online. Anything at that low oa price in a B&M shop is either a kids bike or something they expect you to pack in using or only use over a km or two down to the pub.

• Advertisement
Advertisement