Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to park a bike in Belfield?

Options
  • 25-11-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    I hope this is the correct forum for this query.

Got to get slong to Belfield (UCD) tomorrow, my bike seems the best transport option from where I am.

I don't know where the bike-racks are, on campus, and I've heard rumours that bikes get stolen a lot down there.
    I've just got an ordinary chain lock on a relatively ordinary bike; It's always been fine at shopping centres, etc.

Can anyone advise? where to park? and is it safe?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yes, it should be fine. Parking depends on where you are going on campus, but generally its fairly safe for bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

It's fine as long as you have a good lock. Loads of bike racks all over the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Wonderful, thank you both.

Do I need a permit or pay at a machine or anything? Or just, find any bike rack and lock up to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Any bike rack will do. I've never had a problem with locking up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

crosswords wrote: »
    It's fine as long as you have a good lock. Loads of bike racks all over the campus.

Two good locks.

• Advertisement

i know of many bikes stolen from there

mainly decent ones, an ok bike with an ok lock probably ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thank you everyone, most helpful.

Mine's a real Mammy bike, should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LeftSheepRight

Should be fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In front of the James Joyce Library has loads and is a high traffic area. Also has a mechanics stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

Try to avoid leaving the bike in UCD overnight

Lock the bike in central areas like outside the JJ library (more footfall & these areas are further from the main roads and exits so they are less attractive to potential robbers)

Lock your bike beside nicer bikes if possible :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I work beside UCD. I'd say you'll most likely be ok once you lock it properly, compared to some of the locking horror shows I see when around the place, including right next to the Garda bike they have in front of the student building beside the sports hall!

Advertisement