Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Drive by Evaluation' by PTSB is it required or even legal?

Options
  • 25-11-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help out with this one.

Myself and my partner have a mortage approval on a house we are buying. the Mortgage doesn't expire until January. The Bank (PTSB) is now informing us that we need to get another evaluation done (called a 'Drive by Evaluation' which is 50% of the cost of the original evaluation.

The house condition, situation has not changed at all so surely it's not required to do this? Can we protest and refuse to order or pay this extra evaluation when it is clearly not needed?

Text from Bank below:

*The valuation will expire and what is called a “Drive by” report will be needed – this involves the valuer driving by and confirming his original report. (Cost is half that of a full valuation).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on this, much appreciated.

UX.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, i think it's just to confirm the property hasn't burnt to the ground since the original valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Typically valuations only last for 4 months. Should this expire prior to drawdown, the banks will require another one. In this case they're just asking for a quick one rather than getting the entire report again. Fairly standard stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6 UXer

Ok, thanks folks:I Appreciate the responses. Seems like we have to pay for someone to drive past the house to see if it basically still standing so? Madness really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Technically the house could have flooded in the meantime so a periodic check isn't crazy. The revaluation is an expense we will claim back though as our delay is land registry based.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

UXer wrote: »
    Ok, thanks folks:I Appreciate the responses. Seems like we have to pay for someone to drive past the house to see if it basically still standing so? Madness really

When did you get the original valuation done?
    Why has it dragged out so long?

Its not really madness as the house could have burned down, flooded or deteriorated substantially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

UXer wrote: »
    The house condition, situation has not changed at all so surely it's not required to do this? Can we protest and refuse to order or pay this extra evaluation when it is clearly not needed?

Of course you can refuse. But then they can refuse to give you a mortgage. Just get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oleard1987

You will need the final valuation for the house insurance ,When we had the 1st valuation done the house was only half built . Bank insisted on it .Cost was €140 and it was marked on the valuation as not completed
    Had to pay the €70 euro then to have a drive by done so we could get the house insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I had this happen before, IIRC the bank paid for it as the delay was on their end.

It was to do wiht a central bank rule regarding how recent the valuation needs to be.

Advertisement