Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu voucher 10 off 50 spend with clubcard

Options
  • 25-11-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Supervalu advertising "Get €10 off a €50 spend when you buy with your real rewards clubcard."

Went in, spent over €50, handed in clubcard asked for the 10 off and then was asked for a voucher that I had to have from a previous spend.

I scoured the advertising all over the shop, nothing in their advertising for the 10 off specifies that it comes in the form of a voucher for your subsequent next spend of 50.

Whats going on there? Stood my ground, girl ran off a voucher and gave me the 10 off.

Is that just me? Is it understood that it comes in the form of a voucher for your next spend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Download the supervalu app and link your clubcard then you'll have a never ending supply of 10 off 50 and 15 off 70 vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is that just me? Is it understood that it comes in the form of a voucher for your next spend?

Yes and yes.

It's not a blanket €10 off when you spend €50 because if it was, they would have to give a 20% discount off all booze. Which would attract business they don't want from small off-licences and restaurants. They want you to buy high-profit groceries to get up to the qualifying number.

Dunnes gave me a €5 off €25 once, I promptly came back the next day, used the voucher to buy a box of Peroni for €20 (including the discount) and they didn't give me another voucher for months as punishment :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes and yes.

It's not a blanket €10 off when you spend €50 because if it was, they would have to give a 20% discount off all booze. Which would attract business they don't want from small off-licences and restaurants. They want you to buy high-profit groceries to get up to the qualifying number.

Dunnes gave me a €5 off €25 once, I promptly came back the next day, used the voucher to buy a box of Peroni for €20 (including the discount) and they didn't give me another voucher for months as punishment :mad:

Why would they have to give a 20% discount off all booze?

What business is “unwanted” whether from off-license or restaurant?

Afaik the only items not allowed in the promotion are tobacco and baby formula because it’s disallowed by law, so not sure what your point is about the Peroni. And don’t know why you would wait months for a voucher because they print the voucher when you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

anacc wrote: »
    Why would they have to give a 20% discount off all booze?

What business is “unwanted” whether from off-license or restaurant?

Because the point of the vouchers is to get you in the door and spending your way up to the €50 level. For most shoppers, they hope that this involves you buying high-margin items that you might otherwise not buy.

Whereas if a restaurant or off-licence operator comes in with his trolley, he will be buying €50 worth of cut-price booze and he will get 20% discount at the checkout. Which potentially could involve him getting the stuff at close to the price Dunnes pay the suppliers, which would be much less than what he gets it for.

Stores often limit the number of a discounted item (often booze) you can buy. With or without discount vouchers. This is primarily aimed at preventing small retailers picking up discounts that are designed to get ordinary shoppers in the door - they used to be called 'loss-leaders' before below-cost selling was outlawed.
    Afaik the only items not allowed in the promotion are tobacco and baby formula because it’s disallowed by law, so not sure what your point is about the Peroni.

It was already heavily discounted, I got another €5 off which didn't please Mrs. Heffernan. So I got black listed - no more vouchers for him until he goes to training camp and is certified rehabilitated.
    And don’t know why you would wait months for a voucher because they print the voucher when you pay.

They don't automatically give you a discount voucher. They clearly felt that I wasn't spending my vouchers in the way they wanted so they stopped giving them to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

ok, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm sceptical about the blacklisting story (I know people using the vouchers regularly for alcohol), but that aside, if you didn't use a clubcard they wouldn't have even known it was you.

Advertisement