Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for basic alarm, monitored but not €360-odd per year

Options
  • 25-11-2019 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi All

First off, apologies if this has been covered many times, not seeing it in my searches.

As the the thread title says, a few places quote a decent or cheap supply and installation fee, but their monitoring costs are too expensive for me. And I believe that the equipment will not work if you leave their contract. I'm in the Ballincollig area of Cork. Any ideas? Just ring around a few local companies rather than contacting the more nationwide ones I find on the net? Maybe pay a higher supply/installation fee for a lower yearly monitoring cost?

All I need really is front and back door sensors, 4 or 5 motion detectors, a control panel and bell box, and monitoring under €200 a year.

I'm in the Ballincollig area of Cork. Any ideas? Just ring around a few local companies rather than contacting the more nationwide ones I find on the net? Maybe pay a higher supply/installation fee for a lower yearly monitoring cost?

Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

You need contacts/shock sensors on your windows and doors. Motion sensors will only work after the windows or door have been compromised.
    I've had a HKC installed the last 2 years and the monitoring works out about 80 per year through the app and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Payton wrote: »
    I've had a HKC installed the last 2 years and the monitoring works out about 80 per year through the app and no issues.

Hello Payton. I'm researching this issue also, and am looking at suppliers for HKC. Can I ask which installer/company you went with? Also, is your monitoring just self montoring? Or, do you have a monitoring service? (For €80 I suspect it's self monitored).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The self monitoring route for HKC is €5.58 per month. Some installers add a few bob on to that for themselves. It is money well spent in my opinion. Of course I would rather not pay it but if you go the HKC route it will mean a quality alarm that most installers can service. This means you will never be stuck for parts and competitive quotes are always possible as so many installers can quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭riddles

Alarm quote for a four bed detached house. 1750€ with an ongoing monitoring fee of 7€per month - just wondering how this fairs in terms of value. one other quote was similar in price with 10€ monitoring fee

Control Panel:

The panel will be H.K.C. The panel has zone omission facility, and is mains operated with a 12 volt stand by rechargeable battery.

Bell Box & Strobe Light:

The bell box will be fitted in an agreed position; it will incorporate one self activating bell unit, tamper switch and one flashing light.

Internal Siren:

One Echo internal siren will be fitted.

Keypad:

New GSM Voice Unit:

There will be one keypad fitted in an agreed position. This unit will switch on and off the alarm system.

This Unit sends a voice message as well as other features available on a downloadable app (approx €10) to a number of pre programmed telephone numbers supplied by client via the Mobile Telephone Network. There is a monthly fee by the provider of €7 per month for this service.

Detection Devices:

There would be a number of Detection Devices fitted as set out on page 2.

The proposed detection devices would be as set out in the table here under.
    Zones
    Detection Devices and area to be covered
    Zone 1
    One contact to be fitted on the front door.

Zone 2
    The sitting room window will have one shock sensor and two contacts fitted.
    Zone 3
    The hall window will have one shock sensor and one contact fitted

Zone 4
    The dining room French door will have one shock sensor and one contact fitted.
    Zone 5
    The dining room side window will have one shock sensor and one contact fitted.
    Zone 6
    The kitchen window will have one shock sensor and two contacts fitted.
    Zone 7
    The utility window will have one shock sensor and one contact fitted.

Zone 8
    The back door will have one shock sensor and one contact fitted.

Zone 9
    The play room window will have one shock sensor and two contacts fitted.
    Zone 10
    The bathroom window will have one shock sensor and one contact fitted.
    Zone 11
    The back bedroom window will have one shock sensor and one contact fitted.
    Zone 12
    One beam to be fitted on the landing.

Optional Extras:

Fob: This unit will switch on and off the alarm system. There is also a panic button on this unit. Cost of this unit is €48

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hello Payton. I'm researching this issue also, and am looking at suppliers for HKC. Can I ask which installer/company you went with? Also, is your monitoring just self montoring? Or, do you have a monitoring service? (For €80 I suspect it's self monitored).
    Yes it's self monitoring through the HKC App. My installer is registered and based in Dublin, Where are you located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 rocketed

I am based in North side of Dublin and intrested in this similarly.

Smaller terrace house.

PM details of installer or stick on the page please.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

Agree with 2011. I'm actually paying €5 p/m and have the app on the phone and get a notification if there are any issues. You can set or unset and view many other options and settings from the app. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Payton wrote: »
    Yes it's self monitoring through the HKC App. My installer is registered and based in Dublin, Where are you located?

Hi Payton. I'm based in Dublin also. Would be interested to know who your supplier is?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Payton. I'm based in Dublin also. Would be interested to know who your supplier is?

Particularly all installers can sell you a HKC system. You can get a list of installers on the PSA website. Ensure that you select one will full perimeter protection.

PM sent

• Advertisement

Posts like the ones above invite PMs from installers :)
    Many a PSA installer has won work from this forum.
    I found an excellent installer here myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Schnooks

Thanks for the suggestions folks, definitely given me a few ideas and things to think about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement