Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill going downhill?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Probably not helped by the fact that Met Eireann only issued Orange Warning for Galway and Mayo at 20h00 last night to come into affect for 21h00 --> 01h00 (1h later) City Council caught on the hop as a result.

They’d issued warnings much much earlier, people choose to ignore the and say it’s just winter, id never park my car in salthill when it’s raining or stormy,

Yet again city council have been found with there pants down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They’d issued warnings much much earlier, people choose to ignore the and say it’s just winter, id never park my car in salthill when it’s raining or stormy,

Yet again city council have been found with there pants down
    Agree City Council just not up to it, they really don't have the man power or skill sets required. They are reactive rather than proactive.
    Met Eireann Issued Yellow warning Tuesday(which had localized flooding warnings contained within it) - but the Orange warning was only announced at 20h00 yesterday evening - that's only when City Council seemed to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

More joined up thinking was (and will be) needed between the timing of warning effect and the tides. Salthill would probably have gotten away unscathed had it been low tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

it) - but the Orange warning was only announced at 20h00 yesterday evening - that's only when City Council seemed to react.

And that's appropriate: they'd get roasted if they went all out for yellow warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

And that's appropriate: they'd get roasted if they went all out for yellow warning.

To be fair even with the latest technology the weather on the west coast is unpredictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Edit: already posted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Really? What should they do about the flooded City Council car parks that they manage in Salthill (but dont accept liability for). Something has to give here.

Really? What should they do about the flooded City Council car parks that they manage in Salthill (but dont accept liability for). Something has to give here.

They should close them when Met Eireann issue an Orange or Red warning for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Galway City Council aren't a meteorological service. They rightly rely on Met Éireann for the weather predictions. Met Éireann either miscalculated this time or maybe it was just an unpredictable change in conditions at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone surprised that the areas affected last night by sea breaches are the reclaimed zones?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112016570&postcount=81

Cllr McNelis wants the Toft car park elevated :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They should close them when Met Eireann issue an Orange or Red warning for the area.

They do close them when there is advance warnings last night's warning was too late to get them closed .yellow is not a reason to close them it's just a normal gale that we get nearly every week in winter. ME were too late with this warning no time to do anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Would they not pump some money into the area and fix the problem. Then again GCC are the problem a lot of the time

Due to rising sea levels and the low lying nature of much of Galway city this will/has already become a regular problem. With the best will in the world no forecasting or any other short term action will prevent this. What is needed to stop this is a large investment in sea wall protection along the lines of what Clare Co Co did with Lahinch sea front after their major storm a few years back.

As far as I can make out the highest winds came about 30mins before the maximum high tide in Galway last night.

Would they not pump some money into the area and fix the problem. Then again GCC are the problem a lot of the time

You think GCC can fix rising sea levels and their impact on reclaimed land during adverse weather? Really???

We should not be allowing anyone to build close to the shore, and we should be planning to withdraw in many areas.

You think GCC can fix rising sea levels and their impact on reclaimed land during adverse weather? Really???

We should not be allowing anyone to build close to the shore, and we should be planning to withdraw in many areas.

I remember there was a study published about 12 months ago. It recommended places that would be cost effective to provide flood protection to and areas that were not. As I recall the affected areas of Galway City were not on the cost effective list. I was surprised that more wasn't said about it locallly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

saabsaab wrote: »
    I remember there was a study published about 12 months ago. It recommended places that would be cost effective to provide flood protection to and areas that were not. As I recall the affected areas of Galway City were not on the cost effective list. I was surprised that more wasn't said about it locallly?

Do you have a link to that study. Would make an interesting read

Do you have a link to that study. Would make an interesting read

I have tried to find it online but no luck so far. It calculated the cost of effective costal defence versus the value of the property/areas affected. I will keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is there anywhere I could read up on the reclamation of land in Salthill?

flazio wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I could read up on the reclamation of land in Salthill?
    Possibly a Maurice Semple book, the 2017-2023 City Plan, or these maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You can see here where some of the land was reclaimed

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Storm 10 wrote: »
    You can see here where some of the land was reclaimed
    Already posted in post 81

saabsaab wrote: »
    I can't find the article I remember but it had an interactive map.
    https://www.floodinfo.ie/map/floodmaps/
    8WQ8sYb.png?1

Asked a few queries about the Salthill situation but have got nothing back. Anyone else?

I witnessed a woman trip over and fall heavily on the prom today. Trip caused by a crack in the pavement. A few others came to assist her. Didn't appear to break anything but some soft tissue damage I'd say. The prom surface needs urgent attention before GCC are sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

people should look where they are going and have a bit of personal responsibility to look after one self. To be mindful of dangers around same as the safe cross code.

this is whats wrong with the country and how insurance companies had it easy to "justify" increases.

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    people should look where they are going and have a bit of personal responsibility to look after one self. To be mindful of dangers around same as the safe cross code.

this is whats wrong with the country and how insurance companies had it easy to "justify" increases.

No argument there but pathways shouldn't be hazardous with cracks and holes especially in a very busy area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement