Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council begins evictions

Options

Comments

this thread is about people who DONT pay their rent

It's yet another thread where people can just rant about those less fortunate than them with untruths, alternative facts and lies. I don't really care for it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Idbatterim wrote: »
    in relation to the post above, are these people in council housing paying LPT? are they paying a management fee if in apartment etc?

Council takes care of all those things

Rubbish collection covered too

No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's yet another thread where people can just rant about those less fortunate than them with untruths, alternative facts and lies. I don't really care for it myself.

less fortunate? LOL! they are getting housing that others are paying a multiple of that figure for, that are working, that have way less security!

If you are in a council property, you are paying MASSIVELY below market rent. While other poor sods who ironically are worse off financially if they are renting, pay for this circus!

No it's not.

‘Tis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Whats the point in evicting them when theyll need to be put in hotels or rehoused??? Bizarre.

‘Tis

I'll tell me ma to stop paying for her bins so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

True but it's no harm to inform the ignorant either.

Whats the point in evicting them when theyll need to be put in hotels or rehoused??? Bizarre.

Someone who is already in an hotel could take that property so it’s not adding to the problem. If more evictions were happening, it may make those in arrears pay up therefore increasing the councils income and ability to build more properties.

It’s a PR stunt

It will cost more than the arrears they owe to rehouse them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Isn’t rent capped in a council house no matter how much you earn?

I don't think so. Was calculated based on highest income as I recall.

Council takes care of all those things

you know what? these articles do nothing but highlight what a farce it all is!

I thought Irish water made sense, I thought LPT made sense! Shelve them, let it come out of general taxation. let the leeches who are receiving incredible resources (read €) directed at them, let them make up the LPT shortfall. I'm totally serious by the way! There is way too much support for those at what politicians "perceive" to be the bottom, if you are a single person etc though, good luck! Theyll support the scum that open their legs repeatedly from 16 though. No way does this left of abuse fly in other countries, absolutely no way!

Scrap the welfare bonus. Wasnt the multi billion euro raising USC to be scrapped too? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Not that I expect any of the rabid crowd to read this, as it would destroy a narrative, but for those that actually like facts:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/social-housing-rents-4399149-Dec2018/?amp=1

The myth of the free council house: 'We're not just handing them over, that would be crazy'
    Dublin City Council tenants paid a total of €78.3 million in rent last year.

LAST YEAR, SOCIAL housing tenants paid almost €351 million to local authorities in rent.

According to Mary Hayes, administrative officer for Dublin City Council housing allocations, getting a local authority home is “not as easy as people think”.

And she said no one is simply handed a ‘free house’.

There is a strict set of criteria that must be met before a person can get on the (often years-long) waiting list in their area.

“It’s not a process of handing over houses for nothing. That would be crazy, particularly in the context of Dublin housing,” Hayes said.

So, how does a person qualify for social housing?
    In order to be eligible for social housing, a person must be able to demonstrate a genuine need.

If a person owns their own home, they are not eligible. A young person living with their parents also would not be considered but, for example, if they have children and are sharing their parents’ home with other siblings and their children, then they would be eligible.

There are exemptions when it comes to owning property if a couple is separated or divorced and the home cannot be sold because it is the children’s family home, or if a person is at risk of homelessness.

When it comes to income bands, they differ depending on the local authority. In Dublin, the net income threshold for a single person is €35,000 and the maximum threshold for a family of three adults and four children is €42,000.

In Co Cork, the single person income threshold is a net €30,000 and for a three-adult and four-child family it is €36,000.

In counties like Carlow, Monaghan and Westmeath, the single person threshold is a net income of €25,000 and for a three person and four child family it is €30,000.

How much rent are people paying?
    Again, this amount can differ depending on both income and location in the country.

For Dublin City Council residents, rent is calculated as 15% of the principal earner’s weekly income which exceeds €32 if it’s a single person and €64 if it’s a couple.

After the principal earner is taken into account, it’s another 15% of the income of each subsidiary earner on top of that. Assessable income includes payment for employment or self-employment, any social welfare payments, training allowances and income from pensions.

Shift allowances, travel allowances, bonuses, commission and overtime are all included.

Child benefit, fuel allowance, scholarships and charity assistance are not included so rent cannot be based on those.

Last year, there were 24,000 Dublin City Council tenants paying more than €78 million in rent. On average, tenants paid €272 per month.

Tenants of Wexford County Council are charged €30 on income up to €171 and an extra €0.24 for every additional €1 after that.

In Co Cork, tenants are charged €15 a week on earnings up to €140 and then 20% of all additional assessable income on top of that, plus a further 3% of that total calculated rent.

So, for example, two adults on social welfare payments with two dependent children would pay €238 rent per month in Cork county.

What about people who don’t pay their rent?
    All social housing tenants are expected to pay some level of rent. There are, as in the private sector, tenants who do not pay and who build up arrears. The total arrears countrywide at the end of last year was €73.6 million.

But that figure has to be viewed in context, as arrears are carried over from one year to the next. At the end of 2017, Dublin City Council’s arrears figure was €23.4 million but it had started 2017 with incoming arrears of €22.5 million.

Some councils have much lower arrears than the average – in Westmeath for example, there was a 97% rent collection rate in 2017. The council finished the year with €6.2 million in rent collected and €201,000 arrears.

Mary Hayes of Dublin City Council said rent arrears are an issue for local authorities but she said there are consequences for tenants.

“We don’t do maintenance and repair – unless it’s absolutely essential – if they have arrears… they can’t transfer unless there is an urgent medical need. So they are restricted from a lot of options if they have arrears.

We are pursuing people so there are risks of homelessness attached to failure to pay rent.
    She said the council is trying to move as quickly as possible through the waiting list but she recognises some people have been waiting a long time.

“There were people who had been waiting 10 years on the list and they were just on the point of being knocked off because their income was creeping up, so we did have to balance things out and pay more attention to the general housing waiting list.”

Earlier this year the council made the decision to stop prioritising homeless people on the waiting list. Instead they are being encouraged to take up the Housing Assistance Payment.

Now Hayes said the local authority goes through the list in order, so people who have been waiting the longest are taken care of.

“We are trying to meet all the needs with a certain amount of stock.”

She said people can underestimate the importance of stable housing in people’s lives and how it can have a knock-on effect.

“Housing is critical and when it comes to homelessness I am a true believer in the housing first strategy. We are pouring money down the drain with health and addiction services if we don’t have stable housing. It is always money well spent.

So that Explains the eligibility of receiving a council house.

What happens once you have a council house when your means improve dramatically that would have been way over the threshold when applying?

lads do these council tenants have free cleaners that come in too? Wouldnt surprise me, sure they dont own the home. Honestly, why should they have to even clean it? :rolleyes:

the pittance they pay in rent is a farce! Way more should be generated from it, to house other people! Absolute disgrace!

They should be paying based on income.
    This is what's great about it.
    We could house them and charge rent based on income or not have social housing and put them up in a hotel or pay/subsidise exorbitant private rents for them.

They should be paying based on income.
    This is what's great about it.
    We could house them and charge rent based on income or not have social housing and put them up in a hotel or pay/subsidise exorbitant private rents for them.

what I find incredible Matt, is that no amount is too much for your working gob****e to pay, 50% of income, no problem, hand it over! And those paying that amount could be described as low paid workers, yet on the other hand, we can give other people with limited means, housing for 15% or some joke of income? total, total comedy!

so much for FG claim of representing workers, as if they would lose votes from the can work, wont work brigade. Shows you what spineless rats they really are....

What happens once you have a council house when your means improve dramatically that would have been way over the threshold when applying?

It's really easy to Google, but it's a percentage of the household income, the rates are at each Councils discretion.

lads do these council tenants have free cleaners that come in too? Wouldnt surprise me, sure they dont own the home. Honestly, why should they have to even clean it? :rolleyes:

Sure if we are going to make up BS, here's my input they get free Sky and electricity. Three meals delivered every day from the nearest 4 star restaurant and a vintage bottle of 38 Chateau la tour to wash down there meal. I think the cleaners only come in every 2nd day and not before 2pm in case they wake them up. ;-)

It also explains despite claims to the contrary by ill informed idiots that the houses are not free.

It's really easy to Google, but it's a percentage of the household income, the rates are at each Councils discretion.

councils should not be making the call on the rates. They are totally irresponsible and piss takers of the highest order. Central government needs to start stripping them of budgetary decisions. Let me guess what decision they will make, when all they care about is re-election 1. prudent ones or 2. short term irresponsible ones, increase business rates, businesses wont vote, so we will hammer them. Wow I wonder what the voters will vote for, supply and demand :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No it's not.

Pappa Dolla is correct here. Council's don't deal with waste anymore, or havent done so in decades. It's one of the reasons people dump everywhere.

It's not really though is it? It's about how great the gougers have it and they should all be thrown out onto the street.
    less fortunate? LOL! they are getting housing that others are paying a multiple of that figure for, that are working, that have way less security!

If you are in a council property, you are paying MASSIVELY below market rent. While other poor sods who ironically are worse off financially if they are renting, pay for this circus!

The whole point is giving a dig out to people who need it.
    Would you say 'look at that starving man eating a sandwich he got at a discount because he's not earning as much as me, while I have to work all hours to get the same sandwich'.
    The whole point is that they get accommodation at a cheaper rate than the rest of us who can afford to live privately.

Sure if we are going to make up BS, here's my input they get free Sky and electricity. Three meals delivered every day from the nearest 4 star restaurant and a vintage bottle of 38 Chateau la tour to wash down there meal. I think the cleaners only come in every 2nd day and not before 2pm in case they wake them up. ;-)

you think this kind of bull**** , goes on in any other eu country? that amount lavished on them, while other "poor" people, pay out 50% of their income on rent, and actually work to pay for the privilege? :rolleyes:

Of course here I will be accused of being right wing, over in the states a few months ago and I'd have been described as left to far left by many over there!

Many might find their system OTT, well welcome to Irish banana republic and the other extreme! :rolleyes:

It's not really though is it? It's about how great the gougers have it and they should all be thrown out onto the street.

The whole point is giving a dig out to people who need it.
    Would you say 'look at that starving man eating a sandwich he got at a discount because he's not earning as much as me, while I have to work all hours to get the same sandwich'.
    The whole point is that they get accommodation at a cheaper rate than the rest of us who can afford to live privately.
    no Matt. There are huge amount of people that need support. What we have is one living off ridiculous taxpayer generosity if they are lucky enough to get it and another huge amount, just fcucked! "ah shure tough luck" "couldnt it be worse"

Id be extracting an actual fair share from those receiving this ridiculous largess and be re-directing it to provide more social or affordable housing, for the people that nobody gives a toss about! anyone male, anyone single.

Sure if you arent a scrote with a few kids hanging out of you, who cares about you?

Regarding people talking about arrears, from the article I posted (it is rather long tbf, and probably difficult to read as it's full of facts)

"...arrears are carried over from one year to the next. At the end of 2017, Dublin City Council’s arrears figure was €23.4 million but it had started 2017 with incoming arrears of €22.5 million."

So it had arrears of at least €900,000 in 2017 but took in €78.3 million in rent.

It would be interesting to see what the national private percentage would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It also explains despite claims to the contrary by ill informed idiots that the houses are not free.

If your landlord is giving you 200 a week for you to live because you have no job but is also taking back 20 for "rent", thats a free house.

If you have a job and are paying well under the going rate for a house because the council is youre landlord, the whole amount may not be free but its definitely subsidised

yeah, take a look at the comments on the journal. We go around in circles, you can see what the overwhelming sentiment there is... the two most popular comments by a mile!

1. "No deposit to be paid? And rent less than 100 a week for a house..which might be paid from social welfare payments (not earned income) = free house."

2. "If someone is paying €30-50 a week in an area such as Dublin where the average rent is now €400+ a week, a 90-95% discount then it’s as good as free really. Also really surprised at those arrears figures.. Even for something that accrues year-by-year, if some people are years behind or not paying at all they should be evicted.

Some of the biggest problems with social housing are related to this “home for life” idea that all the populist politicians fling around. There should be regular re-evaluations of circumstances and also ensuring those out of work who are able to work (exclude those with disabilities, some based on childcare, in work but in lower paying roles etc.) are making genuine attempts to re-enter the workforce (taking training, applying for roles etc.)

Stop selling social homes below cost, dropping the housing stock and if a person can afford to purchase a social house, even at a 50-60% discount, they probably shouldn’t be eligible to even have one. Also get rid of the somewhat easy / expected inheritence of social housing. If someone who has a social house’s kids apply for social housing they should have to go through the normal evaluation process and wait-time."

you think this kind of bull**** , goes on in any other eu country? that amount lavished on them, while other "poor" people, pay out 50% of their income on rent, and actually work to pay for the privilege? :rolleyes:

Of course here I will be accused of being right wing, over in the states a few months ago and I'd have been described as left to far left by many over there!

Many might find their system OTT, well welcome to Irish banana republic and the other extreme! :rolleyes:

You're very angry. You should try meditation, or a nice walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So it had arrears of at least €900,000 in 2017 but took in €78.3 million in rent.

How much rent would they generate renting at normal market rates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I don't think so. Was calculated based on highest income as I recall.

This is from the Irish times Oct 2018 but I’m not sure if its per household or per earner
    Income vs rent
    Housing officials had also advocated for an end to the cap on rents. In Dublin city council housing, average weekly rents are €64.76 while the minimum rent paid is €24.90. The maximum the council can charge for multiple, wage-earning adults in a large house is €423 weekly, but the actual maximum currently charged is €237.
    “The principal is that when somebody reaches a much higher income they should pay a higher proportion of that, to a point where the rent should be equalised with market rent.”

Advertisement