Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council begins evictions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what I find incredible Matt, is that no amount is too much for your working gob****e to pay, 50% of income, no problem, hand it over! And those paying that amount could be described as low paid workers, yet on the other hand, we can give other people with limited means, housing for 15% or some joke of income? total, total comedy!

so much for FG claim of representing workers, as if they would lose votes from the can work, wont work brigade. Shows you what spineless rats they really are....

I feel your pain a lot of us are in the too rich to catch a break or not rich enough category.
    These are things need addressing but I wouldn't look to those worse off. I'm happy some of my tax goes towards folk worse off.
    Not so much when wasted on sweet deals for billionaires mind.
    Uproar on these boards when the Indo featured scrounger of the week gets a council flat, but a shrug and a 'sure the others are worse' when we see billions piddled away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

you think this kind of bull**** , goes on in any other eu country? that amount lavished on them, while other "poor" people, pay out 50% of their income on rent, and actually work to pay for the privilege? :rolleyes:

Of course here I will be accused of being right wing, over in the states a few months ago and I'd have been described as left to far left by many over there!

Many might find their system OTT, well welcome to Irish banana republic and the other extreme! :rolleyes:

You think my post was genuine? Seriously. I suggest you do some research. Vienna for example has a very good social housing policy. Intergenerational renting based on income and security to remain in the dwelling till death.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pappa Dolla is correct here. Council's don't deal with waste anymore, or havent done so in decades. It's one of the reasons people dump everywhere.

see this is the problem

"they don't get free houses"
    30 quid a week......which comes out of their social, making it effectively free, and for the half that arent even paying that....

"the councils don't deal with rubbish" directly no, but they clean up the piles of it that are left roadside every week. Effectively free yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

It also explains despite claims to the contrary by ill informed idiots that the houses are not free.

Is that supposed to answer my question or defecting from my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

You're very angry. You should try meditation, or a nice walk.

I know a lot of people and work colleagues, screwed by this housing crisis! I take it you arent renting a one bed in average area of dublin thats a new build for 2,000 a month? no need to answer. But its so great to know, that many are paying way less rent than they should or just sitting on their holes, no worries, no commute, guaranteed income etc. Yeah, they truly are so vulnerable etc :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is from the Irish times Oct 2018 but I’m not sure if its per household or per earner

I'd really need context to comment. A link maybe.

If your landlord is giving you 200 a week for you to live because you have no job but is also taking back 20 for "rent", thats a free house.

If you have a job and are paying well under the going rate for a house because the council is youre landlord, the whole amount may not be free but its definitely subsidised
    You're not paying under the rate, you are paying what the council deems is appropriate to your situation. Same as private rents are not standardized.You seem to want equality of misery, why?

see this is the problem

"they don't get free houses"
    30 quid a week......which comes out of their social, making it effectively free, and for the half that arent even paying that....

"the councils don't deal with rubbish" directly no, but they clean up the piles of it that are left roadside every week. Effectively free yet again.

No it doesn't they pay rent based on income. Low income = low rent. That's the point. They can't afford regular market rent.
    Better have them there than in the Gresham right?

Is that supposed to answer my question or defecting from my question?

If a tenant is meeting their obligations under their tenancy to their respective council there is no mechanism in place at present to force them to vacant if their income exceeds the threshold they qualified under. Make respesentations to your local TD to have the system changed if it irks you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You're not paying under the rate, you are paying what the council seems is appropriate to your situation. Same as private rents are not standardized.You seem to want equality of misery, why?

Of course its under the market rate. What would a private renter pay for the same house next door? The council only make correct decisions do they?

Equality of misery? Lets use your terminology so, why should someone who goes out working every week be worse off than someone who doesnt work? Why is it ok for misery to not be equal as long as the person more miserable is the one putting in the most effort?

• Advertisement

It's really easy to Google, but it's a percentage of the household income, the rates are at each Councils discretion.

Council houses are for people who require them based on there circumstances.

The issue I have with the model is that it promotes people to purposely stay under the threshold once on the housing list but then when a house is received they can earn large wages.

People in Council houses know that they will never have issues with eviction if they play the system correctly.

Building more council houses doesn’t solve anything. It just adds more players into the Council housing game.

I believe they should ditch the Council houses and focus on Emergency housing that’s permanently means tested.

As people find there feet then off they go into the world of the private housing.

No it doesn't they pay rent based on income. Low income = low rent. That's the point. They can't afford regular market rent.

What happens to a couple with 2 kids who collectivly earn 37,000 a year (iirc 36500 is the cut off for eligibility for a council house) They would be paying half that for rent alone in a house. That leaves 18,500 . That leaves €355 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids to live on. Theyd be better off on the dole , even before you take out the cost of working.

Whos the real low income family in that scenario?

irish councils, what can you say?

what do they do here? block as much development as possible. Have much of dublin still looking like a disgrace after TWO booms in close succession. Tarmac as the footpath on O'Connell bridge, yes TARMAC for years! in a city that generates huge amounts from tourism, the same tourism they want to stymy by blocking hotel development!

Of course its under the market rate. What would a private renter pay for the same house next door? The council only make correct decisions do they?

You can always lobby your local politicians to change the system.
    Equality of misery? Lets use your terminology so, why should someone who goes out working every week be worse off than someone who doesnt work? Why is it ok for misery to not be equal as long as the person more miserable is the one putting in the most effort?
    By your logic only the work shy live in council houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1) and if you don't have an income because you are on social welfare.... do they still give you a property ....

2) nobody is suggesting they stay in the gresham, love how theres no middle ground in there at all...

What happens to a couple with 2 kids who collectivly earn 37,000 a year (iirc 36500 is the cut off for eligibility for a council house) They would be paying half that for rent alone in a house. That leaves 18,500 . That leaves €355 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids to live on. Theyd be better off on the dole , even before you take out the cost of working.

Whos the real low income family in that scenario?

nail on the head, its so obvious its off the wall! The poor working idiots are commuting too most likely , car expense, maybe uniform, work clothes etc! I know how who is getting the ****ty end of the stick and "its the vulnerable" not "de vulnerabble and their angles"!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's not really though is it? It's about how great the gougers have it and they should all be thrown out onto the street.
    eh no. its all there in the OP.

1) and if you don't have an income because you are on social welfare.... do they still give you a property ....

2) nobody is suggesting they stay in the gresham, love how theres no middle ground in there at all...

eric cartman, welcome to the party! better late than never ;)

By your logic only the work shy live in council houses.

and by your logic everything can be deflected by not answering actual points made.

If you are in a council house and start earning above the threshold that would have prevented you getting the house, you should be paying full market rate.

As for being work shy, it should never be financially better for someone to be on the dole than working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭Jeff2

You can use mybills.ie to pay the rent.

It seems to be down at the moment for some reason.. :D

Panic.

• Advertisement

and by your logic everything can be deflected by not answering actual points made.

If you are in a council house and start earning above the threshold that would have prevented you getting the house, you should be paying full market rate.

As for being work shy, it should never be financially better for someone to be on the dole than working.

Best you lobby the council so to make the changes you would like to see regarding market rate. Be sure to keep the thread up dated with your endeavours.

Best you lobby the council so to make the changes you would like to see regarding market rate. Be sure to keep the thread up dated with your endeavours.

Full of opinions till you have to actually counter a point, eh?

Presumably you have the same view on every forum and dont give opinions but go contact the relevant body/group/sports club etc instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fanny **** wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest I don't get your drift. WTF are you on about?
    Poster is miserable because the world doesn’t work for him and it’s all the world’s fault.

Should probably stick to the incel sites he’s been linking.

Full of opinions till you have to actually counter a point, eh?

Presumably you have the same view on every forum and dont give opinions but go contact the relevant body/group/sports club etc instead?

Counter what point? you want to see full market rate for certain council tenants. As it currently stands it won't happen. No amount of whinging here will achieve your desired wish, my suggestion was constructive. Lobby your local politicians to change the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Counter what point? you want to see full market rate for certain council tenants. As it currently stands it won't happen. No amount of whinging here will achieve your desired wish, my suggestion was constructive. Lobby your local politicians to change the system.

ah here, if we're not allowed whinge you might as well close down the site

Just to be clear. Am I right in saying you have no opinion on the Council Housing Model?

Why should people who, after getting a council house, start earning above the threshold for the house, not be paying full market rate for that house, as they would have to if they had the job all along?

and does your attitude of any opinions expressed here should be taken up with the council instead extend to your own opinions across the site?

Yes, thankfully. Personally I'd rather that than paying for a hotel.

I'm sure they stay in ****ty ones too, but...

Better that than them paying us a pittance of rent to live in houses we own right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

in relation to the post above, are these people in council housing paying LPT? are they paying a management fee if in apartment etc?

No.

• Advertisement

Why should people who, after getting a council house, start earning above the threshold for the house, not be paying full market rate for that house, as they would have to if they had the job all along?

and does your attitude of any opinions expressed here should be taken up with the council instead extend to your own opinions across the site?
    I suggest you deal with my responses here, my posts elsewhere are irrelevant and frankly you seem to wish to become personal, a behaviour I won't indulge in.

Advertisement