Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council begins evictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Whats the point in evicting them when theyll need to be put in hotels or rehoused??? Bizarre.

They’re not rehoused or put in a hotel. The state no longer has a responsibility to house them.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I know a lot of people and work colleagues, screwed by this housing crisis! I take it you arent renting a one bed in average area of dublin thats a new build for 2,000 a month? no need to answer. But its so great to know, that many are paying way less rent than they should or just sitting on their holes, no worries, no commute, guaranteed income etc. Yeah, they truly are so vulnerable etc :rolleyes:

You don't know me at all.

I was born in a council estate, but now I'm a working man with a young family. I don't live in a council house anymore, I'll be renting privately for God knows how long (probably my life) as saving for a mortgage is utterly impossible in my situation.

Doesn't stop me having empathy for those worse off than me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just to be clear. Am I right in saying you have no opinion on the Council Housing Model?

Which council ?, as every council has there own criteria. However if someone is meeting their obligations under their tenancy agreement I see no reason to kick them out just to satisfy a bunch of clueless begrudgers and whingers.
    Although most people who avail of a council house and have the means to do so normally move on when they can afford too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I was born in a council estate, but now I'm a working man with a young family. I don't live in a council house anymore, I'll be renting privately for God knows how long (probably my life) as saving for a mortgage is utterly impossible in my situation.

What about the people who are way better off then you living in Council houses.

Are you of the opinion of “ Good for them”

It’s the right path but I fear that the housing charities will fall victim to these evicted tenants.

Council housing should be scrapped anyway and replaced with short term emergency housing.

The housing charities only deal with “homeless” people who have a referral letter from a local authority. If you cause your own “homelessness” in this manner then you won’t get a letter of referral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭CoBo55

He's the only true deep thinker on this forum

Yea, so deep it's coming out his arse!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Which council ?, as every council has there own criteria. However if someone is meeting their obligations under their tenancy agreement I see no reason to kick them out just to satisfy a bunch of clueless begrudgers and whingers.
    Although most people who avail of a council house and have the means to do so normally move on when they can afford too.

How do we house the people in hotels then. Do you think the answer is to build more council houses?

I’m not looking to argue with you. I’m interested in you opinion.

Sometimes people get into arrears due to the social welfare suspending payments, unemployment or other unexpected costs. Fact is the council owes money to some tenants who have overpaid too. Without knowing the circumstances of those involved I can’t comment on it. Hopefully it’s scumbags getting their comeuppance and not someone who experienced the above.

You know well that only after a long period of negotiation and mediation between the tenant and the local authority are eviction notices issued.

What about the people who are way better off then you living in Council houses.

Are you of the opinion of “ Good for them”

For a start, there's not that many. But when they got the house, they were broke, so yeah, fair dues.

I do believe that council estates are really badly planned. In the future, there should be 1, 2, 3, 4 bed residences in the same estate. There should be 5 year reviews of your lease. If you no longer need a 3 bed room house for example, due to family moving out, you should be housed within the same area in a smaller dwelling that suits your needs.

Community is important and literally takes decades to acheive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How do we house the people in hotels then. Do you think the answer is to build more council houses?

Of course you build more houses not just council but affordable housing also, leaving housing to the market hasn't worked out to well so far and the amounts paid out for HAP and hotels is eye watering. At least if you build housing you will get a return albeit a below market return but a return none the less.
    Currently two FG councillors in Cork are vowing to fight plans for social housing in their constituencies. These are members of the ruling party.
    My opinion on the topic of the thread it's quite easy for councils to avoid arrears, simple lobbying of government to put a policy in place where rent being paid directly form Social Welfare or employer. Problem solved.

• Advertisement

I think each council should have its own building company within it that builds and services council estates.

Smaller Councils can work together to form one.

We need to learn from mistakes though. Sticking council estates in the middle of nowhere, with no resources, or shops, or schools will just lead to social unrest, drug problems, alcohol problems and crime.

If a council estate is well run and resourced, they work as well as a private estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Woodenfloor

I would be dining with the Gods if I was made homeless if you get my drift. In some ways I respect the homeless for staying alive but in another way I look at them with pity for not having the courage to go and dine with the Gods.

God is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I think each council should have its own building company within it that builds and services council estates.

We need to learn from mistakes though. Sticking council estates in the middle of nowhere, with no resources, or shops, or schools will just lead to social unrest, drug problems, alcohol problems and crime.

If a council estate is well run and resourced, they work as well as a private estate.
    the one thing we do know is that they would be the best paid most inefficient builders ever if that were to happen. although I would have no problem with fixed price contracts for building social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Can I ask why you use that common excuse of no resources to excuse the behaviour of people. I have heard it many times and wonder how people in living in the country grow up not resorting to crime and drug problems.

I understand the principle idea behind mixing social and private housing but in theory does it work? It's often a case where one or two tenants can make the whole estate a nightmare for everyone living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So Dublin City Council has finally started to evict tenants who are in arrears and refuse to pay. OVER HALF of all their tenants are in arrears totalling €33m.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/first-dublin-city-council-social-housing-tenant-to-be-evicted-for-rent-arrears-1.4085923

My favourite bit:

Absolute chancers.

Taken far too fu*king long to get started on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

non paying mortgage holders are routinely named and shamed in the media once it gets to court, wonder will the same happen here?

That isn't correct. Someone who is (in)famous is, plenty of other cases pass beneath the radar screen, also the number of suicides due to repo cases, particularly in rural areas, barely gets reported in the Dublin-centric media. Granted, there are a few piss-takers in both council and mortgage arrears positions, many other genuine cases here. I know several accountants and solicitors living the high life in town that have massive mortgage and other loans arrears, of course that doesn't fit the right wing agenda of some posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I suggest you deal with my responses here, my posts elsewhere are irrelevant and frankly you seem to wish to become personal, a behaviour I won't indulge in.

More not answering......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you are exactly the type of person I am angry on behalf of? you dont see the madness in it all! why should you have to rent for your whole life? Because too much resources are being aimed at one section, at the MASSIVE detriment to the rest of us! Yes big business etc and the pittance they pay in tax is morally corrupt, but that is not a problem that is easy to solve!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

The message this send out is very welcome.

Pay your rent like everyone else.

I believe it's only around 20 a week if even too!

That is 10% of income for social welfare recipients (or just 5% for two adults).

Wow 20 quid a week for a place close to Dublin City centre. Absolutely outrageous. I never knew that's all they pay a week. Sometimes think it's not worth your while going out there working everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

What people often fail to realise is that councils backdate rent. So if someone in council housing earns more in a year compared to the previous year (due to overtime for example) then they will subsequently be in arrears. Sometimes rents aren't reviewed as they should be. Sometimes the councils make errors in rent assessment and people are later hit with arrears. It's not uncommon. It would be interesting to see statistics on how much is due to non-payment and how much is backdated.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hundreds-of-families-hit-with-bills-of-up-to-2000-after-council-rent-review-34175386.html

There will always be a small number of people who don't or struggle to pay, same as with private rentals and mortgages. It's not exclusive to council housing. I think if people are refusing to pay, in any sort of accommodation, then they should rightly be evicted.

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Wow 20 quid a week for a place close to Dublin City centre. Absolutely outrageous. I never knew that's all they pay a week. Sometimes think it's not worth your while going out there working everyday

It's not. I posted quite a large article you may have missed.

you are exactly the type of person I am angry on behalf of? you dont see the madness in it all! why should you have to rent for your whole life? Because too much resources are being aimed at one section, at the MASSIVE detriment to the rest of us! Yes big business etc and the pittance they pay in tax is morally corrupt, but that is not a problem that is easy to solve!

No need to be angry on my behalf. Thank you for your concern.

Our LA charge €20 for the first €200 of income and 20c for every €1 of income after that.
    Allowances are made for children.
    If you are single and just in receipt of JSA then your rent is €20.60 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

20 euro is the cheaper ones , 15% of your income gets you a chauffeur driven limo to your post office and clinic.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Our LA charge €20 for the first €200 of income and 20c for every €1 of income after that.
    Allowances are made for children.
    If you are single and just in receipt of JSA then your rent is €20.60 per week.

Who is your LA?

Who is your LA?

Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

in relation to the post above, are these people in council housing paying LPT? are they paying a management fee if in apartment etc?

LPT is paid by owners.

The council, as owners, pay LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Muir wrote: »
    What people often fail to realise is that councils backdate rent. So if someone in council housing earns more in a year compared to the previous year (due to overtime for example) then they will subsequently be in arrears. Sometimes rents aren't reviewed as they should be. Sometimes the councils make errors in rent assessment and people are later hit with arrears. It's not uncommon. It would be interesting to see statistics on how much is due to non-payment and how much is backdated.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hundreds-of-families-hit-with-bills-of-up-to-2000-after-council-rent-review-34175386.html

There will always be a small number of people who don't or struggle to pay, same as with private rentals and mortgages. It's not exclusive to council housing. I think if people are refusing to pay, in any sort of accommodation, then they should rightly be evicted.

Yes, I'm told that much of the arrears is due to tenants not telling the LA that their incomes increases.

So they are not withholding payments, just not declaring a change in incomes.

Then when the rent is eventually reviewed, they owe a lot in back rent.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Tipp

So like the poster I was referring to said, "Wow 20 quid a week for a place close to Dublin City centre"

It's not.

You can find out how differential rents work here: http://www.dublincity.ie/housing-and-community-i-rent-my-home-i-rent-council/rent-rent-arrears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, I'm told that much of the arrears is due to tenants not telling the LA that their incomes increases.

So they are not withholding payments, just not declaring a change in incomes.

Then when the rent is eventually reviewed, they owe a lot in back rent.

Sometimes that's the case. Sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the council miscalculate, sometimes paperwork gets 'lost in the post', sometimes people do overtime and it varies so they don't know the difference until the end of the year, sometimes people are busy working and don't have the time to sit in council offices waiting on it to be assessed there and then to ensure they do get the paperwork and it's done correctly.

There are a number of factors at play, and the figures in the article in the OP don't reflect that. It would be lovely if they did, and we had actual accurate information instead of one-sided information designed to cause outrage.

Advertisement