Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council begins evictions

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You are inhumane- suggesting ppl top themselves? I've a teenager attending Pieta house and believe me suicidal thoughts/ suicide is not to be joked/ played with here on boards
    You should choose your wording more carefully - might come back to haunt you,or yours
    Poster is irretrievably self-absorbed. One for the ignore list. Sure it’d fit his worldview. Might even be a kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Matt I agree with much of what you say, but I dont agree with this. The amount of rent they do or dont pay in some circumstances, is just far too cheap. It should be increased and this money ring fenced for new social and affordable housing etc...

I believe it was said by a poster earlier that it is only 20Euro a week. That is crazy cheap. Maybe being a "working man" is actually being a chump.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The argument that we should not do anything about scroungers because "it's a small minority" really bugs me.

It does not matter if it is a small minority who don't pay. It should not be tolerated end of story.

I don't mind them only paying €20 for social housing so long as they pay it and contribute something.

Otherwise they should be evicted if they refuse to pay.

If you are on the dole and getting 200 a week and can't be arsed paying a measly €20 for the roof over your head then you should be put out on your ear.

No one will lose any sleep when you are on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Gorgeous apartments beside Dundrum shopping centre and luas , going to council housing. E2000 a month plus for a one bed is the market rate. So what as a single worker on average salary ? 60-70% of your take home pay ex bills ? For the industrious council tenants , five Percent if they even bother paying. Five per cent of the free money many of them get every week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gorgeous apartments beside Dundrum shopping centre and luas , going to council housing. E2000 a month plus for a one bed is the market rate. So what as a single worker on average salary ? 60-70% of your take home pay ex bills ? For the industrious council tenants , five Percent if they even bother paying. Five per cent of the free money many of them get every week!!!
    I know this may come as a shock to you, but not all council tenants are on the Dole. Just saying....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I know this may come as a shock to you, but not all council tenants are on the Dole. Just saying....

Yeah some aren’t. One thing they all have in common is getting the property for a pittance !

Yeah some aren’t. One thing they all have in common is getting the property for a pittance !

So your issue is they are getting a below market rate based on their income? Sounds terribly like begrudgery to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So your issue is they are getting a below market rate based on their income? Sounds terribly like begrudgery to me .
    i'm not sure its straightforward begrudgery when we have to subsidise it

i'm not sure its straightforward begrudgery when we have to subsidise it

We subsidise many things, health ,education just to name two others. It's begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,125 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't suppose there is any chance of any cases to get back the hundreds of millions owed the Council by businesses?

https://www.thejournal.ie/local-councils-commercial-rates-959360-Jun2013/

• Advertisement
Advertisement