If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Receiver recommendation

Options
  • 25-11-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi 

I'm looking for a recommendation for an AV receiver in the €300 - €350 price range, but I might be able to stretch this budget if there's a deal available?.  Had a look on your site and there's 6-7 receivers in that range starting at a Yamaha for €299 up to an Onkyo at €399, but I can't decide what would be best for me.  I currently have monitor audio speakers in a 5.1 set up.  Need about 4 HDMI ports for connecting devices.  Apple airplay would be a bonus and so would smartphone control but they aren't absolutely essential.  Something more high end/future proof than a bargain basement/discontinued model would be preferable.

thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

D13exile wrote: »
    Hi 

I'm looking for a recommendation for an AV receiver in the €300 - €350 price range, but I might be able to stretch this budget if there's a deal available?.  Had a look on your site and there's 6-7 receivers in that range starting at a Yamaha for €299 up to an Onkyo at €399, but I can't decide what would be best for me.  I currently have monitor audio speakers in a 5.1 set up.  Need about 4 HDMI ports for connecting devices.  Apple airplay would be a bonus and so would smartphone control but they aren't absolutely essential.  Something more high end/future proof than a bargain basement/discontinued model would be preferable.

thanks
    Hi D13exile.

The Sony STRDH790 is a decent product priced at 339 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203340-sony-strdh790-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

Or the Denon AVRX250BT which has app control priced at 269 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203321-denon-avrx550bt-av-receiver.aspx

If you stretched your budget you could look at the Onkyo TXNR686 priced at 399 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203313-onkyo-txnr686-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

Let me know if any of these might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Hi 

Thanks for the recommendations.  I've narrowed my choice down to three av receivers.  Can you let me know which one gives the most bang for the buck as this is a long overdue present to myself..... The receiver will be paired with my Monitor Audio 5.1 set up.  I take it they all have an easy set up, i.e. microphone for sound calibration????

1.  Yamaha RXV485
    2.  Sony STRDH790
    3.  Pioneer VSX534/534D (what's the difference?)

I had an Onkyo that was top end but I never used most of its features tbh.  This died on me last year and the new av receiver will be used for movies and Netflix only.

If I make up my mind tonight, how long does shipping take to County Meath and how much?  Are there any further reductions on the price as I've been a long standing customer since you had the Philips Store in Dublin;)

Thanks

Hi 

Thanks for the recommendations.  I've narrowed my choice down to three av receivers.  Can you let me know which one gives the most bang for the buck as this is a long overdue present to myself..... The receiver will be paired with my Monitor Audio 5.1 set up.  I take it they all have an easy set up, i.e. microphone for sound calibration????

1.  Yamaha RXV485
    2.  Sony STRDH790
    3.  Pioneer VSX534/534D (what's the difference?)

I had an Onkyo that was top end but I never used most of its features tbh.  This died on me last year and the new av receiver will be used for movies and Netflix only.

If I make up my mind tonight, how long does shipping take to County Meath and how much?  Are there any further reductions on the price as I've been a long standing customer since you had the Philips Store in Dublin;)

Thanks
    Hi D13exile.

The difference between the 534 and the 534D is the D version has a DAB tuner, other than that they are the same.

Either the 790 or 534 are the ones to go for as the have Atmos capabilities.

I could squeeze the 790 down to 329 Euro delivered.
    Best on the VSX534 would be the listed 331 Euro delivered.
    The VSX543D I could again squeeze to 339 Euro delivered.

I could offer a deal on the Onkyo 686 down to 364 Euro delivered.

All units are in stock so delivery would be 2-3 days.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi

After a lot of mulling over, I think I'll go with the Onkyo 686 at €364 delivered.

With regard to Atmos, to get the most out of that, will I need new speakers and how does it work?  I have my cabling for the rear speakers running under a wooden floor and so don't want to have new cables running round the skirting board.

Hi

After a lot of mulling over, I think I'll go with the Onkyo 686 at €364 delivered.

With regard to Atmos, to get the most out of that, will I need new speakers and how does it work?  I have my cabling for the rear speakers running under a wooden floor and so don't want to have new cables running round the skirting board.
    Hi D13exile.

You will be very happy with the 686 :)

For Atmos speakers you can get ones that sit at the front either beside or on top of your front left or right and fire upwards.
    Something like the Onkyo SKH410 priced at 129.00 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200949-onkyo-skh410-black-dolby-atmos-speakers-per-pair.aspx?swapstore=1

The other option is for in-ceiling speaker to be added which most people can not do.

If you are happy to proceed drop me over your contact number in a PM and we can drop you a call :)

• Advertisement

PM sent.  Thanks

Guys

Did you get my pm about the delivery address for this new receiver?

thanks

Guys

Did you get my pm about the delivery address for this new receiver?

thanks
    Hi D13exile.

Yes thanks.

I dropped you a little PM to confirm.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.