Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going up north

Options
  • 25-11-2019 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,
    Not sure if this is right place to ask. So I have to go to Belfast on Black Friday for a few days. I was thinking of getting laptop and some clothes etc and maybe visit Ikea while there. Any suggestions on what else I should stock up on since I am there? Btw I’m not much of a drinker so won’t bother with booze. Have a revolut card and I will pay in sterling. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Know the prices here before you go. Some of my family living in NI buy many products down here, as it's better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RichieC101

Yeah I’ll do a bit more research. Just checking on what are the definites that I can find which are always cheaper. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The list of what is guaranteed cheaper is very minimal these days and does not include IKEA (quite a lot of stuff is dearer in NI, and the shop often has poor stock).

Clothes in chain stores will almost certainly be cheaper - we can even see the Sterling prices down here usually; as are spirits - but not beer or wine that isn't on offer usually. Basic groceries aren't anymore but some specifics, e.g. toiletries can be massively cheaper. If you still buy any magazines they're usually a hell of a lot cheaper due to VAT but that's feck all in total cost. Solid fuel is usually cheaper but that's not the easiest thing to carry in bulk!

I basically stopped going up when the supermarket price war here happened, but if you're there already there can still be some bargains to be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Decathlon beside IKEA is good for sports and outdoor stuff and good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RichieC101

Yeah that sports shop will be handy so and I’ll just have a look around. I’ll try not to buy anything that I don’t really need anyway. Maybe the laptop might be a bit cheaper but I’ll do my homework before I go. Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

IKEA is cheaper down here.

They only accept sterling in NI, so you have to pay with sterling anyway.

Current exchange rate is 1.172,

Very little if any difference in electronics.

Clothing may be cheaper especially as stores like debenhams and M&S add a paddy tax exchange rate down here.

I'd look for stores that are not down here and try and find items that are different and I'd definitely recommend thee titanic exhibition

Advertisement