Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"eir hotspots" in Limerick

• 25-11-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

A hopelessly technically-illiterate question, coming from somebody who is past the first flush (in fact the tenth flush) of youth, but has anybody in Limerick ever logged onto an "eir-Wifi hotspot"?

The Eir site reads:

"As an eir customer you can connect safely and securely to over 100,000 WiFi hotspots nationwide with eir WiFi. No more having to ask for passwords as you will automatically connect to the WiFi of other eir broadband customers. Plus, with eir WiFi you can surf to your heart's content on your mobile without eating into your mobile data!"

Which sounds great. And the onsite instructions on how to do this are simple:

"Follow these 3 steps to connect to eir WiFi:

1 Search for available wireless networks on your device

2 Select ‘eir WiFi’ network from the list

3 When prompted enter eir WiFi Guest username and password

You’ll need to enter your eir WiFi username and password only once on each device. After that you’ll be connected automatically".

Simple for everybody else, but I have that rare ability of turning anything simple into total mayhem.

My first problem is - in spite of their being 100,000 hotspots nationwide - I cannot seem to find one in Limerick with the "eir WiFi" name.

I can find a lot of "eir" - followed by a sequence of numbers, followed by the words "Encrypted (WPS Available)".

But the magic words ‘eir WiFi’ - I cannot find.

So thinking that I should perhaps be looking at those "Encrypted (WPS Available)" outlets, I try to log-in to one of them.

But they require a password. No mention of "username".

So I get on to eir, and ask what my username and password are.

My first respondent tells me that it is my "log-in email to the eir site" plus the "number on the back of your modem".

When this does not work, a second respondent tells me that it is my "log-in email to the eir site" plus "your password to the eir site".

That also does not work.

After that, eir seems to lose interest in me.

Somewhere in Limerick, somebody has found the ‘eir WiFi’ network, and has logged into this seemingly wonderful beast which enables ome to wander around town, ooking at Wikipedia, without bothering your own provider.

Could that somebody (in their mercy), tell an old man how to do it?

Advertisement