Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Advice

• 25-11-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Because im being offered a nice deal, i thought id ask here first before accepting or not, and maybe ask for possible alternatives.

i have a lci 520d quite loaded with stuff (xenon, electric heated front and back with front memory electric seat - includes headrest and adjustable electric steering rack) - also has the very high end audio (silver speakers).

however, i am putting in 25000km a year on mixture of motorway and back roads with sometimes stop start.

i need a diesel and automatic. recently ive started having niggling things with it including needing glowplugs following on from a massive service, replacing a xenon headlight.

car runs but i feel it might need more stuff- it needed a few bits done for nct. its now at 140k miles - timing chain done once, i have read somewhere might need redoing at some stage?

im being offered a 12 520d with electric heated seats, prof nav (not sure if nbt or not), good condition with about 105k miles.

only reason for me not sure is it has halogen headlights, and backroads are pretty unlit. i might change maybe for nightbreakers or phillips clear diamonds which might help, but its not xenons.

are there other alternatives in the price bracket - 10k cash (does not include trade in at that price) - or is the price quite good? car has the n47t engine, not n47.

because im sensitive to road noise, in a way im looking for a comfortable enough car that might be silent enough (we also have a VW tiguan - great on smaller roads, but poor on motorway due to high road noise).

ive thought of a6, (my dreams are tourings or avants - but very hard to get in price and good enough specs), superbs (not many without galactic miles at this stage).

thanks for input. going to see 520d tomorrow as dont want to miss out in a way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stick with what you have. Unless you go down to the likes of a Mondeo you’re still in the big league for maintenance, and stuff will go wrong.
    Upgrading just to have a bit of warranty is a waste in my opinion, as you could have the same maintenance bills you’re baulking at now in a years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 2012 520d would still be at risk from timing chain problems so don't ignore that expense. Your also spending 10k to come from a car with 140k miles to a car with 105k miles so there is no guarantee that you won't be spending money on maintaining the newer car either. Also the maintenance you mentioned are not really big things. My all means change cars if you want to but it would be hard pushed to justify spending 10k just to try to avoid future repair bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

its not necessarily the warranty (nice to have) but im wondering about at least having something updated. the current car may need dpf/egr done as well as suspensions and the chain as i had mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A 2012 is not in its first flush of youth either

bazz26 wrote: »
    A 2012 520d would still be at risk from timing chain problems so don't ignore that expense. Your also spending 10k to come from a car with 140k miles to a car with 105k miles so there is no guarantee that you won't be spending money on maintaining the newer car either. Also the maintenance you mentioned are not really big things. My all means change cars if you want to but it would be hard pushed to justify spending 10k just to try to avoid future repair bills.

its not just about bills. its really about comfort, driving and feeling in a nice place?

are there any alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

are you serious?! 10k? in a few years, the difference to go from an "old car" to an "old car" will be 1k and a while after that, it wont even make a difference. I would say keep what you have and when you go to change, if running costs are a concern, go the full hog and get something vastly more reliable and cheaper to run i.e. electric, if it will work for you.l..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Spipov wrote: »
    its not just about bills. its really about comfort, driving and feeling in a nice place?

are there any alternatives?

youre talking about going from a 520d to a 520d, what improvement do you expect in a year? if comfort is important, Ill be honest, I wouldnt be getting into a bmw, get a volvo or merc...

with the tiguan, I read recently about low noise tyres, could make a big difference...

Thanks all. I was booked in to see it tomorrow. Ill see what it feels like. Also will see if what trade in price he gives me. He’s been generous in the past (bought 3 from him over the years)

Otherwise ill hang onto this.

Its been smoky and revs between 1.5-2k are juddery. No wheel shaking. Any opinions?

What would people consider comfortable specced alternatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

For my money the E-class is better made and quieter on the move, just make sure you can live with the absolute racket that 2.1 diesel makes. It's horrible when start/stop is engaged, too, the BMW system is much smoother and more discreet.

Only problem I have with them is they feel even more barge-like than an SE spec F10.

If you're sticking with BMW I'd be going for a facelift 520d, no timing chain problems to worry in those engines, earliest models there are 151, though. If comfort and road noise are priorities then get an SE over an M Sport, just be aware that the M Sport are far more desirable on the second hand market, look much better and (in my opinion) have far better seats, I find SE seats in a BMW far too flat and unsupportive, Sport seats hug you in all the right places and hence offer better comfort.

The reason I say the SE is more comfortable is because it has softer suspension (too soft and wallowy for my tastes, but then again I prefer stiff suspension in a car because it means better handling) plus it will have smaller wheels and higher profile tyres which undeniably mean better ride comfort. If you could find an SE with comfort or sports seats you'd have the most comfortable version of an F10 you could find.

For my money the E-class is better made and quieter on the move, just make sure you can live with the absolute racket that 2.1 diesel makes. It's horrible when start/stop is engaged, too, the BMW system is much smoother and more discreet.

Only problem I have with them is they feel even more barge-like than an SE spec F10.

If you're sticking with BMW I'd be going for a facelift 520d, no timing chain problems to worry in those engines, earliest models there are 151, though. If comfort and road noise are priorities then get an SE over an M Sport, just be aware that the M Sport are far more desirable on the second hand market, look much better and (in my opinion) have far better seats, I find SE seats in a BMW far too flat and unsupportive, Sport seats hug you in all the right places and hence offer better comfort.

Thank you.

Im not married to the bmw concept except its my comfort zone as ive owned quite a few. An experiment with a w204 was quite dull.

Im curious about audis and superbs.

I couldnt stretch to a 141/151.a colleague is selling her 141 cheap to me but i still cant match her trade in value

• Advertisement
Advertisement