Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timing belt replacement - age vs mileage

• 25-11-2019 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I had my car serviced during the summer and at the time the mechanic recommended I get the timing belt changed by the end of the year due to the age of the car. It's a 131 Renault Grand Megane.

The mileage is relatively low at 50000km.

Just looking for advice on whether the age of the car is as important a factor in deciding to replace the timing belt vs actual mileage.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

5 years would be the normal service interval for a belt. You could of course inspect it for wear and carry on. Very low mileage on it for 6 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've always gone by change according to the age and mileage, whichever comes first. I'd do low mileage, but would change out the belt every 5 years(plus water pump and tensioner). The belt is under some pressure and gets heated up and cooled down on a daily basis so will still age somewhat regardless of mileage. Swapping in a new one is a lot cheaper than a new engine or rebuild.

I presume all modern engines are interference engines? Way back in the day I had a pinto engined Capri and it had a belt let go, but was a non interference engine so no damage done, new belt on and away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've always gone by change according to the age and mileage, whichever comes first. I'd do low mileage, but would change out the belt every 5 years(plus water pump and tensioner). The belt is under some pressure and gets heated up and cooled down on a daily basis so will still age somewhat regardless of mileage. Swapping in a new one is a lot cheaper than a new engine or rebuild.

I presume all modern engines are interference engines? Way back in the day I had a pinto engined Capri and it had a belt let go, but was a non interference engine so no damage done, new belt on and away.

Don't think there are any non-interference engines these days, the push for higher efficiency means low compression ratios are a no-no. Interference engines should really have a chain rather than a belt, but there is obviously a cost implication there and they are not completely foolproof either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Rubber will perish regardless of mileage. Get it done OP, will cost significantly less than rebuild. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

joujoujou wrote: »
    Rubber will perish regardless of mileage. Get it done OP, will cost significantly less than rebuild. :)

+1 If it's on your mind, better to just get it done rather than worrying.

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    5 years would be the normal service interval for a belt. You could of course inspect it for wear and carry on. Very low mileage on it for 6 years.

The thing is they look fine until they go GRRRAGGAHHAGGGGG.

Agree with the get it done now, age is a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Yeah I'd be getting it changed. Whatever about if you were driving an old banger where the price to change belt is comparable to the cars values not worth risking it on a relatively new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Get it changed, why would you even bother risking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Get it changed, why would you even bother risking it?

Thats the thing, I don't know the risks and was asking an informed forum for advice. If I did then I wouldn't have needed to post in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sprites wrote: »
    Thats the thing, I don't know the risks and was asking an informed forum for advice. If I did then I wouldn't have needed to post in the first place.

I hate timing belts, I have seen them go in cars before.

Not something I would ever risk in a car.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I hate timing belts, I have seen them go in cars before.

Not something I would ever risk in a car.....

Making the booking with my mechanic to get it done after yours and previous posters' advive/thoughts.

Thanks

Advertisement