Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no guru, no method, no teacher

Options
  • 25-11-2019 10:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭

re training/getting fit; this was prompted by reading another thread on HRMs.
    i'm not training for anything, and i don't go cycling with others for the vast majority of my rides, so i've never seen fit to analyse my cycles bar the bare information strava provides; no heart rate data, no VAMs, no FTPs, definitely no power meters, so i'm happy to profess a significant ignorance on the utility they provide.
    do others gain value from any of this outside training for specific purposes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Heart rate or rather resting hr can be a good indicator of oncoming illness or recovery from an illness. This can be applied to life in general as well as training for racing, sportives etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dahat wrote: »
    Heart rate or rather resting hr can be a good indicator of oncoming illness or recovery from an illness. This can be applied to life in general as well as training for racing, sportives etc.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

godtabh wrote: »
    How so?
    It goes up by about 10 beats for minute for every degree of temperature rise. So an elevated heart rate versus your baseline may be a sign of viral illness, or indeed something more serious.

Also not good if it slows down too much, but that's a story for another day.

Not very cycling specific though, unless the poster is suggesting not training hard/doing a sportive while unwell, which I'd agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

godtabh wrote: »
    How so?

There is a link to evated heart rate* and other external factors, such as: not recovered from hard race /training; poor sleep; minor illness; chronic fatigue; over training; more serious illness, etc. (*and below average)

Its not an exact science but the more you know your body and heart rate, the more you will be able to judge your own HR v's how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I started to track this stuff when I was losing weight - gps + hrm more accurate than the apps alone. The method of losing (and keeping the weight off) that worked for me was tracking calories, so I probably am data driven anyway.

Then I started racing, first triathlon and then road racing (until I crashed, and couldn't afford the work/ home life consequences for another year or two). Now I'm more focused on endurance "events", mulling over PBP in 2023 as a long term goal.

Do I need to be focused on training for what I want? Probably not, but I actually enjoy the process* of trying to be the best I can be. I'd be exercising anyway, so I'd rather have the bit of focus. And higher fitness/ FTP is always going to help? I would also like to race again in the future.

* I think this is why Zwift has never really appealed to me. I use TrainerRoad, although trying to "follow the plan" more this time, especially recovery days! I've gone from Virtual Power --> Power meter --> Smart Turbo --> Power Meter over the last number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

re training/getting fit; this was prompted by reading another thread on HRMs.
    i'm not training for anything, and i don't go cycling with others for the vast majority of my rides, so i've never seen fit to analyse my cycles bar the bare information strava provides; no heart rate data, no VAMs, no FTPs, definitely no power meters, so i'm happy to profess a significant ignorance on the utility they provide.

If you were happy as you were, why change? I’m not being smart, but if you’re not drawn to the data and it proves of little use to you (in the sense that you don’t seem to have any particular goals bar enjoying your spins), then just keep enjoying the spins. Data could prove to be nothing but a distraction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, i'm not intending on changing. just curious whether the other factors were pretty much focussed on training goals.

it's a very minor thing, but for the winter too, i've dialled back the data feedback on my cycles; i used to have my garmin showing distance, elevation and speed i think, now i just leave it on the actual clock time and generally don't worry about how far i've gone or how fast i've done it.

Advertisement