Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TRV for Radiator

Options
  • 26-11-2019 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a wireless TRV for home radiator that can integrate with Google Home or the Nest but can also work stand alone without a hub?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 brendanh13

I'm about to try out ligtwave TRVs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

brendanh13 wrote:

I've 9 of these.

I've good quality rechargeable batteries, it's a must.

I've some of them for years.

if I change 9 batteries out, I'll get an average of 2 that need help reconnecting

Huge improvement in the past year with Google assistant. I can ask it to set the temp of any TRV individually and get great feedback on the assistant app.

I don't have them calling in the heating

I stopped using the lightwaverf stat and boiler switch, you don't need it and it's not good IMO, I've had nest, sonoff and netamo and all were better.

Using a nest boiler controller now with lightwaverf on the immersion and 9 rads.

Happy enough with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

Stoner wrote: »
    I've 9 of these.

I've good quality rechargeable batteries, it's a must.

I've some of them for years.

if I change 9 batteries out, I'll get an average of 2 that need help reconnecting

Huge improvement in the past year with Google assistant. I can ask it to set the temp of any TRV individually and get great feedback on the assistant app.

I don't have them calling in the heating

I stopped using the lightwaverf stat and boiler switch, you don't need it and it's not good IMO, I've had nest, sonoff and netamo and all were better.

Using a nest boiler controller now with lightwaverf on the immersion and 9 rads.

Happy enough with it.

I'd love to hear more about your setup Stoner. Do you need the hub along with the trv's?

Are these the ones you have?

I have a nest thermostat and have been looking for a way to control the temperatures in different sized rooms. But I wouldn't need them to call the heat.

04KY wrote:
    Are these the ones you have?

Yes you need the hub, each stat connects to the hub. You get reasonable temp updates, Google assistant is better than the lightwaverf app imo

I don't even use the app apart from schedules and connections

So you'd basically set the stat up on a daily schedule, and if your heating is on via the nest stat then it will warm up if it's too cold

I've rooms I don't use, I've them set to 14 degrees most of the time while the ones I use are at 20 degrees

The little boost button is handy too.

There's probably better out there but have a read of the sticky on lightwaverf

That's a good price btw

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

brendanh13 wrote: »

I have used these also, and they are good and reliable. However, I had one in the bedroom, and the noise of it turning on and off was too much. It would literally churn away for 5 minutes before deciding that it had switched on or off, and would always wake me.

I've kept the ones downstairs, but replaced the bedroom one with one from Hive, and it's super-quiet and quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thinking that a few TRVs, a hub, and some rechargable batteries might be an idea for the black Friday list.

Has anyone using these noticed fuel bill savings by using smart TRVs? I've always wondered how much saving you would have by turning off 3 of 8 rads, for example. Boiler is still on and powering most of the rads, does it really save much turning off a few. e.g. sitting room in the morning, bedrooms in early evening....

Oh they definitely save money.

The boiler is switching on and off , it's off for longer with fewer rads and you are not exchanging heat into the rooms you've the rads off in

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    I have used these also, and they are good and reliable. However, I had one in the bedroom, and the noise of it turning on and off was too much. It would literally churn away for 5 minutes before deciding that it had switched on or off, and would always wake me.

I've kept the ones downstairs, but replaced the bedroom one with one from Hive, and it's super-quiet and quick.

Good point it's not really a big deal mixing these things up unless you need a rad stat to call the heating in

Having them all on the one system allows me to have soft zones, but i rarely change the settings on the TVRs anyway

TBH in a single zone house like mine a regular sonoff was all I needed for the boiler.

Other houses are more elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Stoner wrote: »
    Good point it's not really a big deal mixing these things up unless you need a rad stat to call the heating in

Having them all on the one system allows me to have soft zones, but i rarely change the settings on the TVRs anyway

TBH in a single zone house like mine a regular sonoff was all I needed for the boiler.

Other houses are more elaborate

Hi. Hoping to pull the trigger today on smart trv. I have google home, hue hub and lights. All I want is some rads with smart trvs. Do sonoff have something like the lightwave trv? I'd prefer to go for something that doesn't need a hub, is there anything like that available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

From the bit of research I've done I don't think there is any simple solution for hub-less trvs.
    Just fyi here is two reviews/roundup of different trv options that I found useful, havn't pulled the trigger yet mind.
    https://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/smart-thermostatic-radiator-valves-compatibility-guide
    https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/digital-home/best-smart-thermostat-3583499/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Hi. Hoping to pull the trigger today on smart trv. I have google home, hue hub and lights. All I want is some rads with smart trvs. Do sonoff have something like the lightwave trv? I'd prefer to go for something that doesn't need a hub, is there anything like that available?

Came across this today.

A few of the fibre broadband installers use the fritzbox, I know I got one from Airwire, and would allow the addition of these trv's without a hub. Compared to other trv's the price is good although I have no experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 brendanh13

What are the best batteries you have found for the lightwave trvs? Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am also looking for TRVs but as they are for a large house with very thick walls I thing something with a mesh network such as Zigbee would be best.

Tado is highly recommend but from what I find from Google they work off WiFi so are unlikely to be up to the job.

Can anyone recommend anything? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

i have a honeywell evohome system for the last year which works well. TRV;s are a tad noisy but do the job perfectly

brendanh13 wrote: »
    What are the best batteries you have found for the lightwave trvs? Thanks

Sorry I missed this
    The best ones I've used are Duracell ultra 2500 mAh

I'm not an expert but they outlasted others that have the same or greater mAh

Duracell Recharge Ultra Type AA Batteries 2500 mAh, Pack of 4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E3DVQFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Psn7DbXCQBFGB

Advertisement