Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for Pre-schoolers

Options
  • 26-11-2019 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my daughters pre-school has asked some of the parents to come and talk about their jobs. Myself, working in a data center, I thought it would be a good idea to bring some PC components, to show the 4 year olds the innards of a computer.

I was hoping someone would be willing to donate/borrow a Motherboard+CPU+DIMM... Maybe a PSU and hdd if possible

Ideally all compatible with each other, and clean - wouldn't want their little fingers getting dusty.

Doesn't have to be working.

Thanks all :)

Please delete/move if not in the appropriate section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Few ideas.
    Check on adverts. You might find someone giving away an old PC that's just gathering dust in the freebie section.
    You could get in contact with a local electronics recycling centre.
    A laptop isn't much different to a desktop, so you could see if a local tech repair shop has anything lying around that they don't mind letting you borrow.

You're bound to find something from someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Few ideas.
    Check on adverts. You might find someone giving away an old PC that's just gathering dust in the freebie section.
    You could get in contact with a local electronics recycling centre.
    A laptop isn't much different to a desktop, so you could see if a local tech repair shop has anything lying around that they don't mind letting you borrow.

You're bound to find something from someone :)

Thanks for the ideas! Hopefully can manage to get something soon, doing the talk on Thursday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I did this exact thing in my son's school last year, it went down a bomb. I brought in a dismantled keyboard, mouse, laptop and iphone, a wireless nic, network leads and a few other bits. I labelled everything with a brief description because all the bits were just passed around the classroom while I talked about my job. They were older than your age group but they loved it.

Where are you based, if you are in Cork I can let you borrow some stuff?

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I did this exact thing in my son's school last year, it went down a bomb. I brought in a dismantled keyboard, mouse, laptop and iphone, a wireless nic, network leads and a few other bits. I labelled everything with a brief description because all the bits were just passed around the classroom while I talked about my job. They were older than your age group but they loved it.

Where are you based, if you are in Cork I can let you borrow some stuff?

Fantastic, sounds great! Unfortunately I'm based in Dublin, (Dublin 15)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

You would probably find a cheap pc on adverts for €20 you could just take in and break down with them, allow them to mess around with it. Kids actually find it interesting if you phrase things right, talking about the 'brain' of the pc and passing around the processor, tell them things like how it's 100 times more powerful than all the machines that sent a rocket to the moon, etc. Planned out well it's great experience for kids

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    You would probably find a cheap pc on adverts for €20 you could just take in and break down with them, allow them to mess around with it. Kids actually find it interesting if you phrase things right, talking about the 'brain' of the pc and passing around the processor, tell them things like how it's 100 times more powerful than all the machines that sent a rocket to the moon, etc. Planned out well it's great experience for kids

Thanks, yes that's the plan!

Have bid on a couple cheap pcs on adverts but no luck yet... Need it by tomorrow morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ask IT if they have an old junker lying about - they usually do.

Managed to find a broken laptop, took it apart last night and only brought the chassis with the motherboard/cpu/ram attached.

Got the kids to take off the screws from the cooler and took out the CPU to let them have a look at it closely. Went down great I think! :)

Thanks for all the advice here!

Advertisement