Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black 'Week' - Laptop Bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

sob1467 wrote: »
    Thanks that is another good option so now have a decision to make either this Littlewoods laptop or the argos one mentioned earlier (https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&productId=1600666 )

Littlewoods - Lenovo Ideapad 330S Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 15.6 inch €450

Blue Tooth: Y
    Depth: 19.4 MM
    Display Size: 15.6in
    Dongle Required: N
    3-sided narrow bezel for broader viewing
    Impressive productivity with 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 processing
    Keep moving with up to 6 hours battery & Rapid Charge
    HD IPS Display
    With Dolby Audio
    Graphics: Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drive Storage: 256 Gb
    Height: 358.4 MM
    Processor: Intel Core i5-8250U
    RAM Memory: 8 GB
    Screen Resolution: 1366x768
    Screen Type: LCD
    Touch Screen: N
    Width: 244.1 MM
    Wifi Enabled: Y
    Microsoft Office and McAffee for one year included

Lenovo IdeaPad S340 15.6in Ryzen5 8GB 256GB FHD €430 in ROI or £350 in NI (€410 converted)

Size H1.79, W35.8, D24.5cm.
    Weight 1.8kg.
    Up to 8 hours battery life.
    AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor.
    Quad core processor.
    2.1GHz processor speed.
    8GB RAM DDR4.
    256GB SSD storage.
    Hard drive speed 5400RPM.
    Microsoft Windows 10 S.
    15.6 inch screen.
    Full HD Display.
    Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
    Disc drive not included.
    Shared graphics card.
    Interfaces and connectivity:
    4-in-1 media card reader.
    3 USB 3.1 ports.
    1 USB Type-C port.
    1 HDMI port.
    Bluetooth.
    Wi-Fi enabled.
    HD webcam.
    Built-in mic.
    Dolby sound system.
    30 days Microsoft Office.

From checking the CPU benchmark and comparing Argos's Ryzen 5 to Littlewood's i5 (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-8250U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U/3042vs3421 ) The Ryzen 5 just comes out slightly in front. The battery life seems better on the Argos model too, any other advice or advice on which one to go for?

Ordered a Nintendo switch from Littlewoods at 6:30pm yesterday, received no confirmation email, so rang them this morning,

it seems their customer service is located overseas, was put on hold for ten minutes and then they hung up,
    I rang back and was speaking to a lady who informed me that the payment never went through so I was wasn't charged,
    I informed her that the money has been taken from my account so I was charged, she said she was going to contact some other department, back on hold, came back on to tell me that they weren't open until Monday and to ring back then, I then seen that a lot of people have been reporting similar issues with Littlewoods on trustpilot, so in other words, stay well clear of this shower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Ordered a Nintendo switch from Littlewoods at 6:30pm yesterday, received no confirmation email, so rang them this morning,

it seems their customer service is located overseas, was put on hold for ten minutes and then they hung up,
    I rang back and was speaking to a lady who informed me that the payment never went through so I was wasn't charged,
    I informed her that the money has been taken from my account so I was charged, she said she was going to contact some other department, back on hold, came back on to tell me that they weren't open until Monday and to ring back then, I then seen that a lot of people have been reporting similar issues with Littlewoods on trustpilot, so in other words, stay well clear of this shower

Yep ordered a Chromebook off them yesterday, similar situation no confirmation mail but lots of mails approving me for credit which I don’t want.

It’s appearing in my account with them as purchased however.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

AmberGold wrote: »
    Yep ordered a Chromebook off them yesterday, similar situation no confirmation mail but lots of mails approving me for credit which I don’t want.

It’s appearing in my account with them as purchased however.
    It's showing up under "orders" but not showing under
    "transactions" which is worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭p15574

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Don't think you'll find a better deal on a 15.6" laptop.

Lenovo Ideapad 330S Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 15.6 inch HD Laptop (Grey)
    -with Microsoft Office Personal & McAfee Total Protection 5 1-Year Included

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/lenovo-ideapad-330snbspintel-core-i5-8250u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-156-inch-hd-laptop-grey-with-microsoft-office-personal-amp-mcafee-total-protection-5-1-year-included/1600408626.prd

Screen resolution isn’t great, at least not for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are websites that compare CPUs.

Check that that laptop can be upgraded. Many now have ram and the storage soldered to the board and can't be expended. Especially the cheaper ones.

Buy something with Ryzen or i3 or i5. That's the minimum. Anything cheaper isn't really a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

p15574 wrote: »
    Screen resolution isn’t great, at least not for me

If you are paying more than 450 you should really be getting a full hd screen. 1920x1080. few laptops will have a good quality screen unless it's full hd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Dingaan

Thanks OP

I picked up the Lenovo IdeaPad S340 from Argos yesterday. First impressions are really good. I could easily change the windows from S to the normal version and was able to gain full functionality. It boots up really fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Dingaan wrote: »
    Thanks OP

I picked up the Lenovo IdeaPad S340 from Argos yesterday. First impressions are really good. I could easily change the windows from S to the normal version and was able to gain full functionality. It boots up really fast.

Same, got the Lenovo S340 in Curry's yesterday, 14inch for €431. So far so good, needs some work sorting out the resolution, but switched easily to Windows Home, and first impressions are good.

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Get a chromebook. If it just for browsing he won't need anything more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Pheonix10 wrote: »

That Acer is actually very good value.
    Good quad core processor,8GB of Ram ,Solid state drive ,and a full HD IPS screen .
    It also has an aluminium cover .
    You wont find better in a bricks and mortar store .
    Great find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is a Ryzen 5 better than an Intel i5 processor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

vicwatson wrote: »
    The i5 is faster but not by that much, the integrated graphics on the Ryzen are much better than the Intels though. Got a Acer Swift 3 with a Ryzen 5 a few weeks ago very happy with it.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8350U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U/m388461vsm760067

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-HD-620-Mobile-Kaby-Lake-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-8-Ryzen-iGPU/m153579vsm441833

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vicwatson wrote: »

Tends to be better at multi-threaded programmes, but lags at single.
    Its a lot more cost effective a processor, more frugal from a power consumption perspective, and has better graphics. All things else being equal- I'd go for an i5 with separate dedicated graphics- however, its not an ideal world- and for 95% of buyers- the Ryzen 5 makes more sense.

If money isn't an issue- go for something with dedicated graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭torrevieja

hi folks looking for a solid very fast reliable laptop, good memory, and good hard drive,
    hd resolution high

that has nothing to do but just turn it on :rolleyes:

prepared to pay :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

torrevieja wrote: »
    hi folks looking for a solid very fast reliable laptop, good memory, and good hard drive,
    hd resolution high

that has nothing to do but just turn it on :rolleyes:

prepared to pay :rolleyes:

Currys.ie have a good search function under computing/laptops, you can tick a lot of boxes and whittle it down to what suits your needs. They also have a good buying guide on their site worth reading before searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 StudentforLife

Advice please...I need something for basic online study. Watching lectures, submitting questions, mock exams etc.
    I will eventually get a screen and keyboard and a desk and chair, but for the moment I'll be at the kitchen table.
    Should I just get a Chromebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Advice please...I need something for basic online study. Watching lectures, submitting questions, mock exams etc.
    I will eventually get a screen and keyboard and a desk and chair, but for the moment I'll be at the kitchen table.
    Should I just get a Chromebook?

Good option for a low price if you don't need Windows

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Good option for a low price if you don't need Windows

Thanks, I'll see if there are any deals out tomorrow so. ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

After passing up many Black Friday deals to do business with Littlewoods I had no email confirmation this morning, I check my account and my order has been declined??

What way is this to do business. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

was going to pull the trigger on the zenbook but noticed this:

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-15-5000/spd/inspiron-15-5593-laptop/cn59306

with a 12? discount code it comes in about €615

Not a metal finish as the zen book but
    15.6 which I probably prefer
    twice the hard drive
    faster processor with a poor graphics card that I wont want anyhow

any thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Looking to purchase a laptop today/this week as Christmas present for 11 year old , I see some of the recommended laptops come with 1 month subscription to Microsoft Office , if anyone had any insight into getting Office 365? for students would be appreciated , is it free ?, or just free for a period , is it easily obtainable ? , I did go to Microsoft site where it asked me for school email and then my mobile , but I didnt want to proceed in case I wasnt subsequently allowed to install on a new laptop. Main planned use would be for Powerpoint for school projects.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Balmed Out wrote: »
    was going to pull the trigger on the zenbook but noticed this:

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-15-5000/spd/inspiron-15-5593-laptop/cn59306

with a 12? discount code it comes in about €615

Not a metal finish as the zen book but
    15.6 which I probably prefer
    twice the hard drive
    faster processor with a poor graphics card that I wont want anyhow

any thoughts

Cant really compare chass quality so its down to personal preference (the CPU is on average 10% faster than 3500U). I would personally prefer the extra bit of change for more premium finish on Zenbook. But the Nvidia GPU on the Dell notebook is faster than the AMD integrated GPU (about 10% faster than it) too.

Another question, I thought a PC might make more sense than replacing an old laptop as don't need portability.

The HP 24-f0034na 23.8" Intel Core i3 All in One PC is marked down in Curry's from €899 to €599.

I don't have enough computing knowledge to know if this is a real sale price or a most of the year price.

Can anyone advise?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Another question, I thought a PC might make more sense than replacing an old laptop as don't need portability.

The HP 24-f0034na 23.8" Intel Core i3 All in One PC is marked down in Curry's from €899 to €599.

I don't have enough computing knowledge to know if this is a real sale price or a most of the year price.

Can anyone advise?

Definitely recommend trying building one yourself. You'd save a pretty penny and have a vastly superior powered PC compared to similarly priced branded desktops. Just consider it grown up Lego building :D

There's plenty of advice over on the Building & Upgrading forum

Its a cheap all-in-one machine.
    Unfortunately, its cheap for a few different reasons- the processor is a dual core without hyper threading. The RAM is a pain to upgrade- the base unit only comes with 4Gb (unless you get an 8Gb model). The hard-drive is a mechanical drive- typically a 1TB 5400 unit- in a 2.5" form factor.

In short- its like having a large cheap laptop- but its not portable.

If you'd really like having a large all-in-one and don't care that the processor is poor and the hard-drive is slow- then- it looks like a nice machine- however, a lowly i3 and DDR3 RAM is so 2016...…….

There is a different version of this- with a Ryzen 5 and far superior graphics- that would make a far better bet. The i3 version- is a chore to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

All-in-ones are OK but you are much better off getting the best balanced one you can afford, they are a massive pain to upgrade usually.

For example this is very powerful and wouldn't need any upgrading for years or years....the i3 with 4gb ram and a normal hdd I would not bother with.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-ideacentre-a540-24icb-23-8-intel-core-i5-all-in-one-pc-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-black-10196802-pdt.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

Homelander wrote: »
    All-in-ones are OK but you are much better off getting the best balanced one you can afford, they are a massive pain to upgrade usually.

For example this is very powerful and wouldn't need any upgrading for years or years....the i3 with 4gb ram and a normal hdd I would not bother with.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-ideacentre-a540-24icb-23-8-intel-core-i5-all-in-one-pc-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-black-10196802-pdt.html

Hi just in regards that pc would it have the fast boot up of ssd and then big storage aswell or how do the work together

• Registered Users Posts: 13 park1ife

Hi all,

Looking for an entry level gaming laptop. Mainly will be playing games like Football Manager and Civilization. Based on what I've been reading the advice seems to be to spend on the GPU. I've narrowed it down to these 3 options;

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-dell-g3-15/spd/g-series-15-3590-laptop/cn35916*

https://www.box.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ec0001na_2788805.html

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/l-series/IdeaPad-L340-15IRH-Gaming/p/88IPL301161

Any advice much appreciated.

*The Dell one is 750 after the coupon is applied

• Advertisement

park1ife wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for an entry level gaming laptop. Mainly will be playing games like Football Manager and Civilization. Based on what I've been reading the advice seems to be to spend on the GPU. I've narrowed it down to these 3 options;

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-dell-g3-15/spd/g-series-15-3590-laptop/cn35916*

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/l-series/IdeaPad-L340-15IRH-Gaming/p/88IPL301161

Lenovo by far the best overall for games by a country mile, run most new games at high-ish pretty good. Others ones not good value at all, 1050 is a very low-end card in 2019, a lot of new games would only run at lowest settings.

Lenovo only has 128gb ssd though, that's tiny, you would run out of space straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Tandey

I’m aware it’s a laptop thread but would anyone with knowledge of computers be able to tell me if this is a decent desktop?
    Mainly to be used for college work assignments, college software and general browsing. Cheers

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-pavilion-24-xa1007na-23-8-amd-ryzen-5-all-in-one-pc-1-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-white-10193678-pdt.html

Yeah, it's decent. With 10% off as well as close to 800 it's a good deal. Good processor, plenty ram for normal use, loads of storage space and good size ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 park1ife

Lenovo by far the best overall for games by a country mile, run most new games at high-ish pretty good. Others ones not good value at all, 1050 is a very low-end card in 2019, a lot of new games would only run at lowest settings.

Lenovo only has 128gb ssd though, that's tiny, you would run out of space straight away.

Would you pay the extra 120 or so to get a 512 ssd? https://www.komplett.ie/hp-pavilion-gaming-15-dk0616nd/80054115/product

Yes. 128gb is pitiful. Look at it this way. Half the SSD would already be taken up with Windows and updates.

Leaving you 60gb. The new Modern Warfare is 130gb or so. GTA V (game from 2013) is about 90gb. And those are just download sizes. For a gaming laptop you really need either a 128gb ssd + 1tb hdd or else a straight 512gb ssd.

128gb is straight up useless.

I got a new one recently with just a 250gb ssd, after installing apex legends and modern warfare I already am out of space.

Would you pay the extra 120 or so to get a 512 ssd? https://www.komplett.ie/hp-pavilion-gaming-15-dk0616nd/80054115/product

If you can stomach a Spanish keyboard (which is still QWERTY), this is excellent value alternative. 700 euro for 9300H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1650, 512GB drive.

• Advertisement

If you can stomach a Spanish keyboard (which is still QWERTY), this is excellent value alternative. 700 euro for 9300H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1650, 512GB drive.

Sin sistema operativo - no operating system- buyers should factor the price of a copy of Windows into their equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I'm trying to find a Zenbook in stock that's available in store but I'm struggling :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Can you increase the size of the SSD on the lenovo IDEAPAD L340 GAMING (15") ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Yes, I think there is space for a 2nd harddrive also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭thejaguar

GeneralC wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a Zenbook in stock that's available in store but I'm struggling :(

Which Zenbook? The one from the OP?

• Advertisement

The 10% off signup voucher stacks with the current discount, it sits at 593 in my checkout basket, that's excellent value

Just checked review. There is no space for another SATA drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Hi all,

While I have played football manager years ago I havent recently, however I dont think its that demanding.
    Civilization on the other hand can be depending on how you play it. I have a rhyzen 5 in my laptop and civ 6 plays fine on standard sized maps, for very large maps in later turns it would be very very demanding. With civ there are plenty of graphics options so it typically isnt the limiting factor but if you want a lot of civs and very large maps you need a very powerful processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

Hi all,

Hi i am looking at getting trying to pick out a laptop for my cousin also which will predominately be used for football manager also. Want too get him something fairly decent that will last a while and will have the capability of playing some other games if he wants to(i dont think he will though) .

I seen this Medion Erazer on laptopsdirect for 650 euro thats seems like it will do the job.

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/medion-erazer-p6689-15.6-inch-intel-core-i5-8250u-8gb-1tb-gtx-1050-4gb-wind-30023993/version.asp

You can get it upgraded with an SSD also for 725:
    https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/medion-erazer-p6681-core-i5-7200u-8gb-1tb-geforce-gtx-1050-4gb-15.6-inch-wi-30023991/version.asp

Any advice or reviews on these laptops?

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Hi i am looking at getting trying to pick out a laptop for my cousin also which will predominately be used for football manager also. Want too get him something fairly decent that will last a while and will have the capability of playing some other games if he wants to(i dont think he will though) .

I seen this Medion Erazer on laptopsdirect for 650 euro thats seems like it will do the job.

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/medion-erazer-p6689-15.6-inch-intel-core-i5-8250u-8gb-1tb-gtx-1050-4gb-wind-30023993/version.asp

You can get it upgraded with an SSD also for 725:
    https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/medion-erazer-p6681-core-i5-7200u-8gb-1tb-geforce-gtx-1050-4gb-15.6-inch-wi-30023991/version.asp

Any advice or reviews on these laptops?

Check out the Lenovo posted above. Its under 600 euro with 10% discount for signing up to Newsletter and its vastly superior to the 2 laptops you linked!

Check out the Lenovo posted above. Its under 600 euro with 10% discount for signing up to Newsletter and its vastly superior to the 2 laptops you linked!

Yes but with only 128gb SSD it probably wouldnt even be able to install football manager once you have the laptop setup and programmes installed.

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Yes but with only 128gb SSD it probably wouldnt even be able to install football manager once you have the laptop setup and programmes installed.

Very cheap to replace the SSD drive, can double the capacity from 40 quid. Turns out you can add a second drive but requires a HDD tape adapter bought seperately so the price starts adding up if you do that.

Very cheap to replace the SSD drive, can double the capacity from 40 quid. Turns out you can add a second drive but requires a HDD tape adapter bought seperately so the price starts adding up if you do that.

Is it very difficult to replace the ssd with a bigger one? Would I need a professional or could someone who has never done something like that before do you?

Is it very difficult to replace the ssd with a bigger one? Would I need a professional or could someone who has never done something like that before do you?

Its easiler, it slots in and out of a connection similar to RAM, its just held down by one screw, unscrew it and it pops up.

The 10% off signup voucher stacks with the current discount, it sits at 593 in my checkout basket, that's excellent value

Just checked review. There is no space for another SATA drive.

Thank you so much! Where do you see the 10% off signup voucher? I'm looking but I just don't see it.

Is the ssd on this one not soldered on as this is PCIe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement