Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little advice re PlayStation

Options
  • 26-11-2019 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi, so our little man is looking for a PlayStation from santa. We're nit a gaming family at all so I really don't have a clue! Currently looking at all the deals in Smyths, argos etc and most seem to be for the PlayStation Pro, what's the difference between the normal PlayStation and the PlayStation Pro? Is it all the same games used on both?
    Thanks, but really clueless to all this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Same games.

The pro is an updated and improved version that offers better graphics and speed, this mainly relies on having the console hooked up to a 4K display.

I would suggest to go and buy the normal version which is also referred to as the Slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

dudeeile wrote: »
    Same games.

The pro is an updated and improved version that offers better graphics and speed, this mainly relies on having the console hooked up to a 4K display.

I would suggest to go and buy the normal version which is also referred to as the Slim.

Agreed, if you don't have a 4k display, the ps4 pro is pretty much wasted potential. Even if you do have a 4k display, if your kid isn't savvy enough to discern the different levels of graphical fidelity, I'd say go for the normal one and you could use the savings to buy more games :D or PS+ which is a solid investment

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Thanks v much. Def not tech savvy so will stick with normal ps4
    You're very good for the advice, thanks

Never knew there was a ps+ what's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

michdee wrote: »

PS+ = Playstation Plus

This is the official sales pitch for it

In a nutshell with a subscription to PS+, you can:
    • Play online against others
    • Get 2 free games a month to download
    • Back up your saved data to cloud storage

There are extra discounts on stuff etc but to be honest, for the two free games alone I found it worthwhile. It works out about 9 quid if you get it monthly, 25 for 3 months and 60 for a year, but there is an offer now on the playstation store (I think smyths offer it too), to get a year for €45.

One quick note about PS+, if you stop subscribing, you lose access to the games given to you for free. Just so you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

michdee wrote: »

Subscription service that gives you a couple of free games per month, some discounts and access to online multi-player for some games..

Ah that's great info. I'm hoping to keep him from being online for a little while, he's only 8.
    However I have been told he can play with his friends online in their own group if set up properly. I think we - as his parents - will need to do a course in PlayStation haha.
    Thanks for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

I think the first year of PS+ is €35 as a black friday deal

Advertisement