Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Printer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how many print departments are there in the dublin civil service ? there used to be one in the old OPW just wondering how many they need and what these people do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

how many print departments are there in the dublin civil service ? there used to be one in the old OPW just wondering how many they need and what these people do ?

I use to work for a major engineering outfit. They mostly needed technical drawings and docs printed. There was about 80 designers or so and a print department with about four lads. Those big plotter printers or large volume documents. Even though printing all day every day, they would often outsource print jobs as it made financial sense.
    Absolutely no reason T.D.s or their staff should be buying or using such kit. I can't see it paying for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

All so lying, ignorant, self-serving, thick, lazy Politicians can litter our hallways with 2020 calendars leaflets and associated lying print propaganda in an effort to get re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mango Joe wrote: »
    All so lying, ignorant, self-serving, thick, lazy Politicians can litter our hallways with 2020 calendars leaflets and associated lying print propaganda in an effort to get re-elected.

TBH I don't think this is what it was for. Maybe somebody can confirm but I think it was for printing official documents required for the business of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

This looks like an absolutely and utterly atrociously spec'd and executed project but Im holding off on my rage until Iv seen the output of Dublin city councils white water rafting plan. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This printer fűck up is a microcosm of everything that's wrong in Ireland. Godsakes can't even plan to install a goddamn printer without having space for the thing, piss away wodges of cash and finally a union sticking their oar in as a great big fücking cherry on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    An increase in pay is common enough in the private sector to, when a change in work practices occurs

Bahahahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

TBH I don't think this is what it was for. Maybe somebody can confirm but I think it was for printing official documents required for the business of government.

Why would a government need to print documents at that volume?? We are talking an industrial sized printer ffs.

What business case to they have for such a machine when they could have kitted out a good few government depts with 50/60 high spec printer/scanners at the same cost.

I would wager that have absolutely **** all of a case unless they are printing off all the redacted documents they are so fond of.

Also it's a digital age aswell, in the age of environmental friendliness, no need for printing much, honestly some govt depts, incompetent is being kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Why would a government need to print documents at that volume?? We are talking an industrial sized printer ffs.

What business case to they have for such a machine when they could have kitted out a good few government depts with 50/60 high spec printer/scanners at the same cost.

I would wager that have absolutely **** all of a case unless they are printing off all the redacted documents they are so fond of.

Also it's a digital age aswell, in the age of environmental friendliness, no need for printing much, honestly some govt depts, incompetent is being kind.

Totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Berserker5 wrote: »
    I used to see similar carry-on

You'd be directed to buy the printer from a particular supplier who'd give a kickback off the inflated invoice to the person directing

Or a particular contractor would be hired to supply and fit the printer and he'd kickback

I've said it here on another thread years ago. My in-laws bought a brand new build holiday home. They asked me about the bathroom and kitchen tiles. I told them to measure the bathrooms and kitcken/dining room and go to the nearest tile seller.

I returned 3 THREE builders trailer loads of tiles. There was zero problem with the co refunding the cost...but I'd doubt the salesman 🙄 was docked his commission

• Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Over a decade involved in this consulting , id hope so ha. Not just some right wing agitator.

Ahem.. I know of a few people looking for some training on a newly installed printer beside a hole in the wall. They don't seem to mind throwing money around like a party.. Ahem.. They could be looking for a consultant for their training.. Get in quick.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It has a maximum throughput of 18,000 pages per hour. 5 pages per second. That's about as fast as you're going to get outside of a newpaper or industrial printing facility.

Which seems insane, but needs do come in to print a 300 copies of 100-page document by lunchtime.

Arguably there's an issue of planning there and last-minute requests shouldn't be entertained. But then we'd be raging at the Dail suspending business for a day because some necessary documents weren't printed on time.

I don't think the necessity of the printer is really in question. Even the building works to accomodate it, and the staff training isn't a problem. These are necessary things.

The actual cost here probably wouldn't be much different in most cases. It's the utter shambles of how this project was implemented.

The machine should have been up and running and in use within two weeks of delivery. The building works recognised and completed before delivery, staff trained up before delivery. This is not a complex project. Instead some idiot bought an €800k printer as if they'd gone into Harvery Norman. And we've ended up with it sitting idle for more than a year.

It speaks to an ongoing problem of incompetence and inefficiency in our civil service. A project has been incredibly poorly delivered, way over time and over budget. A couple of people have really badly screwed up here. But they won't see any consequences for it.

Whoever project managed this cluster**** is still working as a project manager despite obvious incompetence, and the middle management who all oversaw and signed off on it, will hear nothing about it.

It harks back to the same old problem; there is no mechanism to motivate in the public sector. You continue getting paid the same no matter how great or awful you are at your job. So naturally what we get for our money is incompetent people with no drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Costs have exceeded €1.8m . It's on SoR now . Holy crap

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Like everything else we do it will eventually turn into the most expensive printer of it’s class ever installed in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

I've never heard of the Dublin civil service. Is it some offshoot of the Irish Civil Service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

marvin80 wrote: »

People working in the Public Sector wonder why there hated so much then.

These situations and sense of entitlement are rampant across all areas of the Public Sector.

Yep - those farmers with a "sense of entitlement" who closed the city yesterday are fully signed up members of the Public Sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I worry now we'll end up with an enquiry as well costing a few more million

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

my printer brings all the boys to the yard
    i can teach you but I'll have to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

An increase in pay is common enough in the private sector to, when a change in work practices occurs

no it isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 WIne Gums

Why the need for such a printer ?

The TDs use enough printer cartridges to satisfy their needs.

WIne Gums wrote: »
    Why the need for such a printer ?

The TDs use enough printer cartridges to satisfy their needs.

They shouldn’t be given everyone reams of paper to read in this day and age.

A few copies to be kept for prosperity, yeah. But read everything else digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They shouldn’t be given everyone reams of paper to read in this day and age.

A few copies to be kept for prosperity, yeah. But read everything else digitally.

Have you seen the average age of people in the dail, enda kenny still uses a nokia 6310i as a phone , youre 15-20 years away from them reading anything on screen en masse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

jmayo wrote: »
    We, as in the authorities in this country both as in elected representatives and permanent public servants, could not fooking organise a p**s up in James Gate.

Oh I bet that is the one thing that could be organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Public sector:

Manager: "Joe, I need you to get up to speed on a new printer. Can you report for a training session next Tuesday at 9 a.m.?"

Joe: "Sorry, I'll have to talk to my union first about getting a pay increase for the additional training and work responsibilities I'm being asked to assume. Depending on the outcome, I'll consider attending the training — but don't expect any resolution for months."

Private sector:

Manager: "Joe, I need you to get up to speed on a new printer. Can you report for a training session next Tuesday at 9 a.m.?"

Joe: "No problem, I'll be there."

Costs have exceeded €1.8m . It's on SoR now . Holy crap
    The media's penchant for inflating costs really has to stop. It drives me fncking crazy.

The cost is €1.3m, when you include VAT. VAT goes to the exchequer.

The media are doing their damndest to try and report a higher and higher figure every time they talk about it.

They do this all the time, all they're trying to do is wind it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

seamus wrote: »
    The media's penchant for inflating costs really has to stop. It drives me fncking crazy.

The cost is €1.3m, when you include VAT. VAT goes to the exchequer.

The media are doing their damndest to try and report a higher and higher figure every time they talk about it.

They do this all the time, all they're trying to do is wind it up.

Paper never refused ink!

Joe: "Sorry, I'll have to talk to my union first about getting a pay increase for the additional training and work responsibilities I'm being asked to assume. Depending on the outcome, I'll consider attending the training — but don't expect any resolution for months."
    I did IT for Superquinn for a short period. They were so heavily unionised that they may as well have been public sector. Good place to work, lovely people, but the union mindset was very strong.

At one stage I was moving everyone onto using a network drive to store files. Sent out an email about what it was, how it worked, (i.e. save files in X, instead of Y), and I got a response from one guy telling me to hold off on moving him over, he'd have to speak to his union rep.

Shortly after, I was moving everyone onto the newer version of Windows. Same guy when I went to change him over said, "No, I don't think you can be doing that, this is a change in our work practices. Have you spoken to the union about whether you're allowed to do this?". I was only in my early twenties, totally bemused. I just skipped over him and changed everyone else's machines. He was laid off before I had to deal with him over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Unfortunately the real scandal here is that Oireachtas members are allowed to print whatever they want en masse. Once in office they can bombard us with their propaganda and all at cost to the tax payer. If you're an outsider looking for a vote you'll have to cough up for your own printing expenses. Just another way the established parties screw us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Doesn't matter, you've no opinion either way. As a Green why would FG's reputation concern you? Oddly enough, you're the one keeps bringing up Fine Gael. We all figured it was some civil servant mistake. TBF if FF were really in, I'd be more suspicious.

I have posted many an opinion. The fact that you are incapable of responding In substance to my opinions is not my problem

Advertisement