Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery question

• 26-11-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi. My car has been parked up for about 5 weeks as I was in hospital. I wont be driving for a few more weeks until im fit enough. Is there any benefit to starting the engine and letting it idle in the driveway to try to keep the battery charged or does it need a long blast down the motorway? Any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think you'd need to keep it idling a good 10-15 minutes just to make back the energy used to start the engine. It seems kinda wasteful.

I'd say either disconnect the battery completely and hope for the best, or get a trickle charger for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A trickle charger would be best.
    Failing that running once a week should keep it charged if the battery is good to start with.
    Don't disconnect the battery if it's a modern car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Thanks. I went out and the car started no problem (2014 Rav4 with stop/start). I have left it idling in drive (blocked in by wifes car) and all electrics turned off. I hope to get it out for a proper drive next week. Shoulder surgery had me off the road but hope to be back in action when cleared by doc and physio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can you not ask your wife or someone else to give a 15 min drive once a week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bronco Bullfrog

A good solution I found for leaving a car for an extended period was a solar powered trickle charger available on Amazon called Allpowers 12v Portable Solar panel (I would recommend the one that produces 7.5w for £20.99 use An Post addresspal if they don't post to Ireland.) My Dad was taken ill on holiday ended up being away for 25 days, luckily he had this plugged in, car started up no probs when he got back, people leave them in their cars when parked at airports etc. Good gadget, just plug into cigarette lighter in car and leave solar panel on dashboard, it has an indicator light on it, lets you know that its charging. I have started cars with flat batteries with this.
    Here is a link direct to Amazon page.

https://amzn.to/2IGq4zX

Alternatively, Aldi do a cheap & fast conventional trickle charger that I have also found to be good for around €15 called Auto XS Car battery charger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just leave it. If stop start is working then the battery is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

You cant use a conventional charger on an stop start battery. It has to be a smart charger.

As colm said. If the stop start works the battery is fine.

Advertisement