Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Effective House Alarm

• 26-11-2019 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to a new house that is pre-wired in the new year... I have an Arlo motion detecting camera system.

I don't want to fit a monitored alarm... Is there an alternative that is cost effective? What do people recommend?

Do I need to have one fitted for insurance purposes? Would a smart home system be acceptable to the insurnace companies?

Can I get away with just the Arlo, as it has a siren built in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I have a self built raspberry pi monitoring alarm fitted in mine. Totally proprietary, coded it myself.
    You could buy an alarm of your choosing off the shelf and fit yourself or have someone fit one for you.

The insurance co. don't require you to have an alarm. If they ask you have you got one, say no.
    You will miss out on the discount (which is quite often negligible) but it also means they wont have an opportunity to null your policy based on some requirements you inadvertantly signed up to by saying you have one... - e.g. having it serviced once a year, having it set everytime you leave.

Advertisement