Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I need...Help

• 26-11-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Good Morning,

My mother in law has virgin TV which is split as it comes into the front room. One cable from the splitter goes into her TV and she has access to all channels via the virgin box. The other cable feeds into the kitchen but when plugged into the TV is getting no signal.

I believe that Virgin changed from Analouge to digital signal some time ago so I believe I need a box to allow her get free to air tv stations in the kitchen.

I am not 100% sure what I need so looking for guidance.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You need a box in the kitchen to get anything from a Virgin cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Thebeast078

Thanks.

I dont want a virgin box, anything you would recommend that would just get me the free to air channels.

Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭leche solara

She'll need a Saorview box connected to the TV in the kitchen. This might need an aerial.

She'll need a Saorview box connected to the TV in the kitchen. This might need an aerial.

Could she not take the feed from the Virgin cable, connect a saorview box with no aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭leche solara

The Virgin cable is unusable unless its connected to a Virgin Box, so the Saorview box wouldnt pick up anything. Depending on where she's located and her proximity to a transmitter she may be able to get away with a small rabbit's ears type aerial. I have a Saorview box in my kitchen with a small aerial attached and I can pick up the stations without any external or roof aerial. But I live nearish to Three Rock so I'm not far from the transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Good Morning,

My mother in law has virgin TV which is split as it comes into the front room. One cable from the splitter goes into her TV and she has access to all channels via the virgin box. The other cable feeds into the kitchen but when plugged into the TV is getting no signal.

I believe that Virgin changed from Analouge to digital signal some time ago so I believe I need a box to allow her get free to air tv stations in the kitchen.

I am not 100% sure what I need so looking for guidance.

Any help appreciated.

As already mentioned, Saorview is only available with an Aerial and only has Irish TV channels

If you could get the model number of the TV, we could tell you if it has Saorview built in (ie she wouldn't need a Saorview box)

The Virgin cable is unusable unless its connected to a Virgin Box, so the Saorview box wouldnt pick up anything. Depending on where she's located and her proximity to a transmitter she may be able to get away with a small rabbit's ears type aerial. I have a Saorview box in my kitchen with a small aerial attached and I can pick up the stations without any external or roof aerial. But I live nearish to Three Rock so I'm not far from the transmitter.

Thanks a million, will try an outside aerial as she lives in Malahide.

As already mentioned, Saorview is only available with an Aerial and only has Irish TV channels

If you could get the model number of the TV, we could tell you if it has Saorview built in (ie she wouldn't need a Saorview box)

Thanks a million

Advertisement