Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ?? A cyclist on a motorway? Not good in any direction no?

That wasn't the question.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Here's another one from yesterday. Tesco van driver couldn't have picked a worse time to overtake.

360 version.
    https://youtu.be/q2mnvyjMyDE

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

stoneill wrote: »
    This is a near miss the other way, I don't have video but there was a cyclist on the M4, on the actual motorway this morning who nearly got creamed about 4 times coming up to junction 6. What short-cut could possibly be worth putting your life at risk?

Without asking the person on the bike, I suspect a misuse of Google directions, with specifying cycling option. Or a regular motorist taking to 2 wheels for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

CapnHex wrote: »
    Without asking the person on the bike, I suspect a misuse of Google directions, with specifying cycling option.

Most people should recognise they're on a motorway though, particularly because of the blue signs as you enter it.
    I used to see people on the bridge over the Liffey on the M50 regularly enough and suspected they knew what they were doing and using it as a shortcut. The furthest from an entrance/exit I've seen on was around Parkwest on the M50 southbound, so he either joined at the N4 and cycled a fair oul distance, or jumped a fence at some point to join.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Interesting, in the UK, it appears that a cyclist who was reprimanded for swearing whilst being assaulted is having his five complaints against the police upheld (including that the police did not punish the driver) - I've included the original video below...
    Cycling UK member David Brennan was assaulted while cycling to work. The driver was not prosecuted and shockingly, David himself was given a police warning for swearing. Now he’s teaming up with Cycling UK to call for significant changes in the way vulnerable road users are treated in Scotland.
    https://twitter.com/magnatom/status/1369644952452542465

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^
    English subtitles would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's an over reaction from the cyclist imo

Edit, whoops! By which I mean the man on the bicycle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's an over reaction from the cyclist imo

Edit, whoops! By which I mean the man on the bicycle! :)

I don't think it's such an over reaction TBH, a car driver speeding up and moving in swiftly in on top on you for no good reason, other than to threaten.

And WTF is wrong with that driver ? I mean, you're in a bit long line of traffic, you're going nowhere fast anyway. Why the need to be an aggressive dick because someone on a bike filters past and goes in front of you ?

I did catch the driver mention "every day" so likely pissed at him skipping the queue or some nonsense.

I wouldn't be quick tempered at all but some one got out of a car and put their hands on be like that I'd likely be getting a lift from the Gardaí.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

While the driver was completely in the wrong for the assault and for driving to the rear of the car in front, he didn't drive at the guy on the bike, he possibly (stupidly) thought the space the bike used was enough and then the cyclist started drifting out. The car is 100% in the wrong but maybe I am numb to poor driving I don't think it was intentional. From the car drivers perspective the bike drifts out before he has fully filtered and then belts his car. Not that the cyclist had too as its in the same lane but I would have indicated to show I plan to go around the turning car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    While the driver was completely in the wrong for the assault and for driving to the rear of the car in front, he didn't drive at the guy on the bike, he possibly (stupidly) thought the space the bike used was enough and then the cyclist started drifting out. The car is 100% in the wrong but maybe I am numb to poor driving I don't think it was intentional. From the car drivers perspective the bike drifts out before he has fully filtered and then belts his car. Not that the cyclist had too as its in the same lane but I would have indicated to show I plan to go around the turning car.

I wouldn't say he's drifted out, I'd say he's completed an overtake (on the left) and is taking the lane again. The driver is clearly either aggressive or not paying the slightest bit of attention, hard to tell from outside. The 'every day' comment makes me think it was the former.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wouldn't class that as overtaking on the left as much as I would salmoning as it's far more like that. There's what only a car length there maybe? Driver giving a bit more to the car in front due to conditions.

Driver is a complete nut case, but I don't think the cyclist is reading the road particularly well given the conditions.

buffalo wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he's drifted out, I'd say he's completed an overtake (on the left) and is taking the lane again. The driver is clearly either aggressive or not paying the slightest bit of attention, hard to tell from outside. The 'every day' comment makes me think it was the former.

He had barely completed it though, now the fault is 100% with the motorist for being a bit of column A (driving up the arse of the other car) and column B (didn't realise what was actually happening). Don't get me wrong, the driver is a pr1ck and deserves to be locked up but just as a side note, I don't think he intentionally drove at him, at best he intentionally cut him off for no real reason. Like I said, I see worse every day so it kind of blows over me. I wouldn't have pulled out until the driver had acknowledged I was coming out or I was fully ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

CramCycle wrote: »
    He had barely completed it though, now the fault is 100% with the motorist for being a bit of column A (driving up the arse of the other car) and column B (didn't realise what was actually happening). Don't get me wrong, the driver is a pr1ck and deserves to be locked up but just as a side note, I don't think he intentionally drove at him, at best he intentionally cut him off for no real reason. Like I said, I see worse every day so it kind of blows over me. I wouldn't have pulled out until the driver had acknowledged I was coming out or I was fully ahead.

It looks to me like it was intentional. Before the filtering you can see that the car is so far right that he has crossed over the center line marking of the road. Given the subsequent interaction I would guess he was deliberatly trying to prevent the ccyclist from getting in front (like he does "every day"), and got angry because the cyclist filtered left, throwing his blocking master plan into disarray. He was very quick out of the car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the speed at which the driver gets out and assaults the cyclists speaks volumes. anyone who was innocent of malice in that instance would have been sitting in the car thinking 'WTF?' but he's out and assaulting the cyclist within seconds. and as above, the 'every day' comment would seem to support this.

Enduro wrote: »
    It looks to me like it was intentional. Before the filtering you can see that the car is so far right that he has crossed over the center line marking of the road. Given the subsequent interaction I would guess he was deliberatly trying to prevent the ccyclist from getting in front (like he does "every day"), and got angry because the cyclist filtered left, throwing his blocking master plan into disarray. He was very quick out of the car.

Yep, he is certainly trying to block the guy in, which is all manner of ****ish behaviour and unnecessary. I still wouldn't have started taking the lane till I was clear and got some sort of acknowledgement. Everyone is different though, I would have got blocked and then asked the driver what the f*cking point was, probably leading to the same conclusion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The car driver was looking for a confrontation. Blocking the chance of a pass on the right, then gets annoyed that the cyclist moved to the left whilst he wasn't watching his mirrors so squeezes him to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Driver was a tosser who was deliberately blocking an overtake on the right the whole way up, and moved to block the cyclist in after he overtook on the left. However, it was all very low speed and the cyclist was in no danger. The best thing to do would have been to let the left turning car go left. At that point, the eejit driver would either have been stopped in traffic and there’d be space to go ahead again, or he’ll be moving and the cyclist could filter in behind him.

The cyclist was hysterical. Hitting the car was totally unwarranted in those circumstances. I suppose the driver could have been on the phone and therefore likely to continue to push him off the road, though it’s more likely he would have hit the car in front first. The cyclist had a split second to make up his mind, but I still think I’d have adjusted my course and shouted, at most.

Obviously that all changed when the driver got out of the car and assaulted him. No excuses there, and the police not prosecuting is inexcusable.

On the wider issue, when I first started cycling daily 3 years ago, I read this thread a lot. I learned a lot about road position and how to anticipate stupid things drivers are likely to do. As a result, I’ve had, I think, two incidents that could be called dangerous. I’ve had a lot of annoying incidents, and some of those could have been dangerous had I not reacted (as in braking, not having a row). My view is that these incidents happen on the roads, no matter what mode of transport you’re using, and it’s better for my enjoyment of my day not to engage.

I still haven’t gotten a camera. Maybe I should have one. I did have an incident in a car once, where a dash cam would almost certainly have resulted in an insurance pay out in my favour, and instead I had to pay for a repair. But I think they also lead certain people to become more confrontational. I should caveat that my commute is mostly bus and cycle lane, and there are some videos of truly dangerous driving on here, that I’ve learned a lot from. And I’d probably feel differently if I were out with kids, or whatever.

Well they were out in force today, Bloody Thursdays. Zombies walked out in front of me in Bray but I seen it coming so no real risk, just stupid, then on the far side of it a car cut me off while turning in front of me. An astonished look of "bikes go faster than walking" on his face but nothing close to an apology, I just raised my arms in annoyance and he shot me a dirty look for the gall of having existed. Next came the 84 bus which went for a proper punishment pass, pulled in nice and tight as it was half way through the overtake. Thankfully the 145 behind him was more gracious and also realised I would be out of the way in a few seconds.

This said, everyone else was super nice, with cars waiting behind at roundabouts and as I indicated around buses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Kids have got bikes recently so been bringing them out around Monkstown and the Farm. Quiet enough roads usually, we go slow, trying to get them used to traffic. The 5 year old is on the path and the 7 and 9 year old on the road with me. Yesterday the 9 year old had the nose taken off him by a van that decided to overtake and didn't have the space so instead of backing off he floored it and cut in hard. Go a fright but unharmed. I swear to god, what kind of person does that around kids. I'm used to it at this stage as an grown man but kids ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

robinph wrote: »
    The car driver was looking for a confrontation. Blocking the chance of a pass on the right, then gets annoyed that the cyclist moved to the left whilst he wasn't watching his mirrors so squeezes him to the left.

Disagree entirely.

I think the cyclist was the aggressor here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

doughef wrote: »
    Disagree entirely.

Disagree entirely.

I think the motorist was the aggressor here.

Disagree entirely.

Its a mixture really, the driver cuts him off, intentionally. The car in front is to the kerb, indicating left, he knows where the cyclist who is travelling faster than him is going to go and lets not kid each other, he blocks him intentionally (I see it all the time on the M50 and the N11), stupidly and like a gobs****. This said, the cyclist shouldn't have presumed, as I don't think he was clear from the front of the car, at best his rear wheel was in line with the bumper of the car, he should have checked more carefully rather than drifting over presuming he was clear. And he does drift, he was 15cm from the edge line and then he was 80cm from the edge line when he hits the car.
    None of this excuses the car driver getting out and going for a beating, listening to the words of the driver, I suspect the two of them have met before as he isn't talking about cyclists, he calls him specifically.
    Either way, they are both stupid f***wits, one though is a criminal who should have kept his calm, they both need to be better on the road. The cyclist was just slightly unobservant and panicked when he seen what was happening, the driver is still an out and out pr1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Disagree entirely.

No way!! You do ?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Making that road one way and putting in a protected bidirectional cycle track would have eliminated that problem nicely.

We must try that, somewhere, sometime :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Duckjob wrote: »
    No way!! You do ?

giphy.gif

Not sure why you decided to post a smart ass reply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you look at the video carefully the driver is constantly braking to leave a gap in front of him to accelerate when it would be suitable for the cyclist to overtake.

It's very obvious to anyone here who's an experienced cyclist and a seasoned motorist what's going on here, the driver is is bored and juvenilely trying to control the situation by positioning his car in order to make it as awkward as possible for the cyclist to overtake. When the opportunity arose where the bike could pass he took it as a personal insult and tried to bully the biker off the road claiming "you undertook me".

Both the driver and cyclist knew exactly the chess game going on here. The cyclist may have over reacted but the driver had an agenda and was playing his little macho game from the start, he completely went over the top when he went on his "blue collar tough man" agro session in his 70k Audi.

He's lucky he didn't meet a different cyclist without cameras that may have defended his punches, cracked his jaw and cycled off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Duckjob wrote: »
    No way!! You do ?

giphy.gif
    ARE YUO DUCK OR ARE YUO AOWL?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This happened to me last week, hairy enough situation

https://twitter.com/MacL0ve/status/1371366648792375296?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thank God the driver dropped their phone in time.

Advertisement