Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mc Love wrote: »
    This happened to me last week, hairy enough situation

https://twitter.com/MacL0ve/status/1371366648792375296?s=20

you're able to read a plate that quick?? should join the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

fryup wrote: »
    you're able to read a plate that quick?? should join the guards

Am i missing something?:confused:It's visible clearly when you press pause on the twitter link...

Nevermind, I didn't have sound on and missed what you were referencing and him calling out the plate. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Kander wrote: »
    Am i missing something?:confused: It's visible clearly when you press pause on the twitter link...

He called it out in the video. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Went for a cycle beside the airport today with a neighbor, very little traffic so we were side by side for some parts.

Have to say I was shocked by the amount of cars that beeped at us. Little to no traffic coming in the opposite direction so plenty of space to pass us.

We were beeped at more than 10 times and one driver stopped looking for a fight after some hand signals...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Went for a cycle beside the airport today with a neighbor, very little traffic so we were side by side for some parts.

Have to say I was shocked by the amount of cars that beeped at us. Little to no traffic coming in the opposite direction so plenty of space to pass us.

We were beeped at more than 10 times and one driver stopped looking for a fight after some hand signals...

Regrettably, its been like this around there for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The car had to move across the central lines as well to avoid the lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Thargor wrote: »

I thought it was sped up the first time I watched it, but no, he was actually going that fast overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

And the car behind the truck aswell overtaking into oncoming traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

neris wrote: »
    And the car behind the truck aswell overtaking into oncoming traffic

is it not 2 lanes going in that direction? Looks like one of those horrible roads where they have squashed in 2 lanes and left no hard shoulder. Scary no matter what..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Poor timing by the Garda when overtaking, just before the junction.

https://streamable.com/ogdm2i

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

**** driving from that black Focus as well, not bothering to look left before pulling out of the junction.

Cable over the road there at the beginning? Monitoring traffic levels I assume, though normally they have a pair of them don't they :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had to head out to Howth for work yesterday, in the car, and noticed a lot of cyclists heading up to the summit.
    On the way back down, a car coming towards me decided to overtake 6 cyclists, going two abreast.
    Had to brake hard myself to avoid collision, as there wasn't enough room, with him on the wrong side of the road. Still don't understand drivers who can't wait 10 seconds to pass safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cable over the road there at the beginning? Monitoring traffic levels I assume, though normally they have a pair of them don't they :confused:

Yeah, not sure what was going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's there for ages unless the lifted and replaced it since I've been that way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming past a petrol station and a car cut across me, I let a roar but more focused on the brakes which prove to me that when its needed, discs and rims do the same job. I do wonder if braking was the right call, maybe I should have turned in completely and swerved in as we stopped wheel to bumper. Shouting was the right call as it woke him up and he slammed on. Had to rest inside the entrance I swerved into for a minute, lovely lady came over to me to offer me a cuppa tea. And to be fair to the driver (after they parked up), called over to see I was OK and apologised, hands up, admitted fault, no excuses. I asked was he OK. Other than he had to go straight home for a new pair of underwear he said he would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    Coming past a petrol station and a car cut across me, I let a roar but more focused on the brakes which prove to me that when its needed, discs and rims do the same job. I do wonder if braking was the right call, maybe I should have turned in completely and swerved in as we stopped wheel to bumper. Shouting was the right call as it woke him up and he slammed on. Had to rest inside the entrance I swerved into for a minute, lovely lady came over to me to offer me a cuppa tea. And to be fair to the driver (after they parked up), called over to see I was OK and apologised, hands up, admitted fault, no excuses. I asked was he OK. Other than he had to go straight home for a new pair of underwear he said he would be fine.

Fair play to them for admitting their error. Hard to argue with the outcome, in that he won't be at fault for anything like that again any time soon!

Refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

ED E wrote: »
    It's there for ages unless the lifted and replaced it since I've been that way.

Still there. Its just one cable, attached to nothing whatsoever

ffs like, I think posted here about having a skittery moment on those cables in the wet before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Might they be anything to do with the possible subsidence issue that the road was closed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Might they be anything to do with the possible subsidence issue that the road was closed for?

You mean the pr1ck issue?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-at-centre-of-dublin-mountains-road-closure-row-in-talks-with-insurers-1.3553834

Think its all closed out anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ED E wrote: »

Never heard about that. Wow.
    Impressive gob****ing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

BBC Videos released by Police in SE England.
    Couple at 1:30 involving cycling.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3548987531833386&id=150467675018739&m_entstream_source=video_home&player_suborigin=feed&player_format=permalink

Done serious lunacy in there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why are the fines so random? none of them are round figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looking at the footage of the cars pulling in without giving enough room on the motorway makes me wonder how many I'd "score" if I had a dashcam on my car. Seems to be a regular occurrence any time I drive on a motorway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Stark wrote: »
    Looking at the footage of the cars pulling in without giving enough room on the motorway makes me wonder how many I'd "score" if I had a dashcam on my car. Seems to be a regular occurrence any time I drive on a motorway.

Can you imagine, after the volume of footage, the Gardai or whatever department handle it would have to shut down based on the M50 footage alone. Poor Supers in stations having to write back to every query on a fine to explain that, yes, what you are doing is dangerous, poor driving and illegal.

I would love to see how long it took to lead to an improvement. My money says between 1 to 3 months, for enough people to get fined for it to sink in that what they are doing is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The offence shown at 2:01 is typical of what you see on the M50 daily. So common in fact it almost seems innocuous, yet British police handed out the second largest fine on that clip and a 6-month driving ban?

Methinks it wasn't the driver's first offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

why are the fines so random? none of them are round figures.

Probably converted from shillings and never touched since. Can't trust that decimal stuff, the Europeans use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

BBC Videos released by Police in SE England.
    Couple at 1:30 involving cycling.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3548987531833386&id=150467675018739&m_entstream_source=video_home&player_suborigin=feed&player_format=permalink

Done serious lunacy in there

I've seen a lot of the behaviour in the latter half of the video. I must invest in a dashcam!

Advertisement