Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

VonLuck wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of the behaviour in the latter half of the video. I must invest in a dashcam!

Very important for insurance and prosecutions here if you are involved in an accident. Regrettably other than that here, unless someone was hit, most gardai will actively avoid getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Baffles me how some of those are categorised as “driving without due care” when they’re clearly pre-meditated acts of dangerous driving.

I’ve said before that I think the courts need to draw a much clearer line between acts of genuine carelessness on the roads and acts that scream “I don’t give a flying f**k about the safety of anyone around me”. Anyone convicted of the latter (ie where pre-meditated intent to do a dangerous act is obvious) should be met with lengthy bans and prison sentences.

Also for such offences, failure for registered owner to identify the driver should result in auto 1 year ban and 2 weeks in the slammer. That would help jog peoples memories on who was driving their car.

Here and UK are far far too soft on this sort of bullsh*t behavior.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Duckjob wrote: »
    Baffles me how some of those are categorised as “driving without due care” when they’re clearly pre-meditated acts of dangerous driving.
    burden of proof? in that it's obvious that they're driving like a lunatic, but proving they *intended* to drive like a lunatic is difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had someone skim me at 81km in a 60km zone over Easter weekend. Not good. Porterstownm Road in West Dublin. 100km plus is not unusual along this road according to the illuminated radar sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qzh9BEco6BXanw5W6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

burden of proof? in that it's obvious that they're driving like a lunatic, but proving they *intended* to drive like a lunatic is difficult?

- You don't drive up and over a footpath accidentally. (0:16)
    - You don't initiate an overtake on a blind hill/bend accidentally (I take the point not all those clips show initiation of overtake)
    - You don't do a high speed undetaking and salmoning though other cars accidentaly (0:46)
    - You don't overtake through a hatched area, or on top of solid white line squeezing though oncoming traffic accidentally (0:29)
    - You don't drive though a residential street at twice the speed limit accidentally (0:38)

But leaving all that aside. Ok then, leave the "intention" part out of the legislation and call it "extreme endangerment to the public" or something similar, and hit people hard who are convicted of it. It should be a charge that people sh*t themselves at the thought of being convicted of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Like has been said, burden of proof or something like that. It's easier for the gardai/police to successfully charge someone with careless driving than dangerous driving I reckon.

With my case, the initial charge was going to be dangerous driving but it was eventually careless driving, despite having a video of it and the driver well aware I was there. I felt like arguing that there was no way it could have been without due care or attention as me smacking the vehicle was enough to get their attention at the start of the incident, but yet they carried on well aware I was now there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

why are the fines so random? none of them are round figures.

A lot of £811 fines in there. Strange number.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hit people hard who are convicted of it.
    i will again go back to the most effective way of dealing with this would be to seize the vehicle for 7 days/14 days/whatever.
    a financial fine is pointless.

first time i've had to thump a car in a good while. southbound here, and a taxi driver saw a parking spot and dived for it - with me alongside.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3954328,-6.2640871,3a,75y,180.69h,77.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skcNa1A0hW2AwXUSkFhb_CQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Up to £1000 fines and 6 points on your licence for speeding on a motorway or dual carriageway with everyone else around you in a protective cage with airbags and seat belts.

Driver education course for nearly taking out a vulnerable road user on a roundabout with just a bit of foam on their head for protection.

Think the penalties need recalculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

BBC Videos released by Police in SE England.
    Couple at 1:30 involving cycling.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3548987531833386&id=150467675018739&m_entstream_source=video_home&player_suborigin=feed&player_format=permalink

Done serious lunacy in there

I wonder how many of those incidents would have been prosecuted by our own boys in blue if the same videos were submitted here - 1 or 2 maybe?

The rest would have been 'sure you didn't get hit, so what's the problem'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

robinph wrote: »
    Up to £1000 fines and 6 points on your licence for speeding on a motorway or dual carriageway with everyone else around you in a protective cage with airbags and seat belts.

Driver education course for nearly taking out a vulnerable road user on a roundabout with just a bit of foam on their head for protection.

Think the penalties need recalculating.

I thought the same, but I think some of that is whether it's your first offence and whether you're remorseful.

Although probably it comes down to whether you can afford to pay the fine or spend a day at a course and you take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm stopped at a light this evening and a feral 15 year old decides to pass me on the left, breaking the red, doing a wheelie, with the front wheel rotated to the right, missing my head by I reckon less than a foot. He knew what he was at too, he turned around and had a good look at me as he rode off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm stopped at a light this evening and a feral 15 year old decides to pass me on the left, breaking the red, doing a wheelie, with the front wheel rotated to the right, missing my head by I reckon less than a foot. He knew what he was at too, he turned around and had a good look at me as he rode off.

I do wonder what goes through those kids heads. Not a single person thinks its impressive or cool bar the person doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Designed to provoke a reaction mostly.

Sometimes a swift reaction may just be the right thing - as lollipop jimmy might point out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

I had a close one this morning. On the roundabout at Junction 6 on the M4. Entering from Barnhall Road, and intending to exit for Leixlip, as I passed the Celbridge exit, a guy in a black Ford decided to go for the westbound exit without once looking right. I had a clear view of his face for the whole approach. I roared and dropped anchor. We had maybe a foot between us when we both stopped.

He never knew I was there - held his hand up in apology when he stopped. Stay safe out there.

I have decided that my next campaign for road safety is going to be for mandatory sunglasses in all cars, that must be worn at designated times of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have decided that my next campaign for road safety is going to be for mandatory sunglasses in all cars, that must be worn at designated times of year.

Agreed
    About 3/4 weeks ago I met a Volvo XC90 (you know those houses on wheels) on a relatively wide road lately - 2 cars could meet without stopping - still narrow to an XC90

Anyway she was driving into the sun and straight up the middle of the road.

I stopped and gave a roar as she got towards me. She gestured at the sun and kinda shrugged - as if what do you want me to do??

Never deviated from her line even with the road

that is *why* she drives an XC90, law of the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Father and 2 kids on 3 seperate bikes crossing the junction from St Marys Road onto Crumlin Road, all quite late to go through the red. On his own he might have made it albeit late, but the 2 kids followed through the lights and did well not to get hit by anybody. Fair play champ for setting a great example to the kids. Lucky it didnt turn out a hell of a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

2 recent one were, somewhere past Stepaside, white line in the middle , car overtakes 3 cars, I look up seeing this car, I knew he wasnt going to hit me but I wish I had it filmed , I would have made him famous. the sheer ignorance and arrogance of it.

second one, going down Ailesbury road, Im cycling on or slightly inside the parking lines, car comes up behind, grand so far, then he gets along side and now is matching my speed, odd me thinks until I realise a car is parked ahead and Im running out of road. no idea what he was at

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

getting back out into the countryside in the last few days reminded me that there are 16 year olds driving tractors which take up nearly the full width of the road. to be fair, i had been coming downhill at speed, but he didn't even slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Luckily I have had very few issues lately but it is starting to creep in again. However, the only involvement of a MPV in this clip from this morning is the van driver who, thankfully, was alert to his surroundings and moved away from the danger.

Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow, the main Belfast - Rosslare route and roadworks going on seemingly forever. The 'cycle lane' was very obviously an afterthought. Some bollards to the right (most of which were knocked away last weekend) and a cast iron barrier to the left. This is despite strong objections from cyclists locally, all of which fell on deaf ears.

Rode on it yesterday without issue. Then today this happened as they had removed the 'cycle lane' with absolutely no warning whatsoever. I got quite a shock over this to the point that where the video stops I actually got off the bike - and I'm not easily shocked.

Language alert before viewing:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jaysus, that could have turned out differently alright :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Luckily I have had very few issues lately but it is starting to creep in again. However, the only involvement of a MPV in this clip from this morning is the van driver who, thankfully, was alert to his surroundings and moved away from the danger.

Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow, the main Belfast - Rosslare route and roadworks going on seemingly forever. The 'cycle lane' was very obviously an afterthought. Some bollards to the right (most of which were knocked away last weekend) and a cast iron barrier to the left. This is despite strong objections from cyclists locally, all of which fell on deaf ears.

Rode on it yesterday without issue. Then today this happened as they had removed the 'cycle lane' with absolutely no warning whatsoever. I got quite a shock over this to the point that where the video stops I actually got off the bike - and I'm not easily shocked.

Language alert before viewing:

Jaysis me heart!

Please report to the council immediately, that needs to be rectified ASAP, plenty of people use that regularly (myself included). fixmystreet.ie probably the quickest way

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    Please report to the council immediately, that needs to be rectified ASAP, plenty of people use that regularly (myself included). fixmystreet.ie probably the quickest way

Did that just before posting here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

getting back out into the countryside in the last few days reminded me that there are 16 year olds driving tractors which take up nearly the full width of the road. to be fair, i had been coming downhill at speed, but he didn't even slow.

There's an old farmer, or possibly someone associated with the golf club around Corrstown who drives on a vintage tractor, that is not remotely fast not big, but always seems to be out when I'm on that stretch. In fairness, they are always very sound though.

Anyway, Raheny on Tuesday on the way back from Howth. I'm in the Bus lane. Merc in the other lane. Indicating right, I presume they live in one of the houses opposite side, or are visiting them. Nope. They want to do a U-Turn over hatched markings followed by a long solid line. Not only do they want to do that, I have no idea they want to do that, but also wish to hook left first to make the turn easier for them.

Only I had it in my head he was going to do something stupid, I might have kicking off wing mirror to save myself or under his wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's an old farmer, or possibly someone associated with the golf club around Corrstown who drives on a vintage tractor, that is not remotely fast not big, but always seems to be out when I'm on that stretch. In fairness, they are always very sound though.

A blue 60's reg Ford Tractor? He lives just up from the entrance to St.Margarets Golf club as you head to Oldtown. Can't miss his house...it's a bit rough!

• Advertisement

If it's the same person, you'd often see that tractor parked at the coolquay lodge in normal times.

Advertisement