Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    Please report to the council immediately, that needs to be rectified ASAP, plenty of people use that regularly (myself included). fixmystreet.ie probably the quickest way

Email received from Wicklow council within 2 hours of reporting this. Received outside office hours too. Acknowledgement and profuse apology. They say the matter has been brought to the attention of the contractor who has been informed that the cycle path must be maintained at all times for the entire duration of the works.

Should they step out of line and anyone here is passing the contact email is roadtrans@wicklowcoco.ie

UPDATE: I meant to mention earlier that this cycle path, for all the good it is, was up and running again as of this evennig when I drove past at 8pm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth sticking that up on twitter too maybe? with the acknowledgment that the council acted promptly?

Good to know there are people in the CC's who will act and take that kind of thing very seriously. I've had a few very positive interactions with Meath CC for a few things over the years but don't get me started on Louth CC :mad:

Good on you for reporting it sy that didn't look pretty in the video.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had to deal with meath CC for a non-cycling related matter about 10 years ago, and it was an eye opener how explicit they were in a 'we're not going to do our job' reaction (related to illegal dumping of C&D waste)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Luckily I have had very few issues lately but it is starting to creep in again. However, the only involvement of a MPV in this clip from this morning is the van driver who, thankfully, was alert to his surroundings and moved away from the danger.

Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow, the main Belfast - Rosslare route and roadworks going on seemingly forever. The 'cycle lane' was very obviously an afterthought. Some bollards to the right (most of which were knocked away last weekend) and a cast iron barrier to the left. This is despite strong objections from cyclists locally, all of which fell on deaf ears.

Rode on it yesterday without issue. Then today this happened as they had removed the 'cycle lane' with absolutely no warning whatsoever. I got quite a shock over this to the point that where the video stops I actually got off the bike - and I'm not easily shocked.

Language alert before viewing:

I would of walked back to those workers and given them a piece of my mind - fcukin idiots.

• Advertisement

i had to deal with meath CC for a non-cycling related matter about 10 years ago, and it was an eye opener how explicit they were in a 'we're not going to do our job' reaction (related to illegal dumping of C&D waste)

Really? Litter was one of the things I dealt with them with a few times and they were great. Though that was only in the last 3 or 4 years. I've reported road surface and lighting issues and they were promptly dealt with too.

i was ringing on behalf of my then girlfriend (now wife) about C&D waste we found buried in her new build back garden. several tons of it, at a guess.
    the response was 'well, you've bought the house now so that negates the illegal dumping'.

in hindsight, i reckon it was probably closer to 12 or 15 years ago.

worth sticking that up on twitter too maybe? with the acknowledgment that the council acted promptly?

I don't do Twitter. I did for a day, then someone or other I was following put up a picture of their dinner! Adios amigo after that

I would of walked back to those workers and given them a piece of my mind - fcukin idiots.

Funny you should say that. Just at the point where my video ends I got off my bike and stepped onto the hard shoulder and roared abuse back at the workers - or nobody in particular really I suppose. That would be a bit of shock I'm guessing

but you're on boards, where someone has probably also put up a picture of their dinner today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Heading up Old Bawn this morning a An Post van was parked on the left, with Hazard lights on, engine running, driver was speaking to a pedestrian on far side of the road. As I approached i looked over my right shoulder, all clear so proceeded to pass the van, as i was halfway up the van it began to pull out onto the road. I let out a few expletives whilst braking hard to avoid being hit by the van. Driver heard me and pulled back in again in front of me and stopped dead, had to brake hard again. With that driver hung out his window profusely apologising to me.
    About 20 min later going by Circle K near Templeogue college i was on the cycle lane , traffic on road was at a standstill, a van parked up on the green left of the cycle lane proceeded to pull out to into a half a car space in the traffic but had to stop diagonally across the cycle lane, he did this as i was about 10 feet away from his van. Had to brake hard as could not go around it with the traffic standstill to my right. I felt like "The invisible Man" for a while this morning. Don't get me talking about cycle lanes at roundabouts.... madness planning.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seemingly a happy ending to a dangerous overtake (not my video)...

https://twitter.com/leitheoircraosa/status/1382800482628988934

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Nice video.

Hope nobody reports a coypu.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fortunate that I wasn't about a second earlier and a little bit closer - idiot never thought of looking or checking mirrors. Sound muted to cut out swearing.

https://streamable.com/hxxn8y

Went out for a spin this morning and this prat decided to overtake me on a narrow road coming towards a left hand bend with two oncoming cars approaching
    I left the sound on it so the horn of the onconimg car was audible but this meant my use of the F-word is also audible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Went out for a spin this morning and this prat decided to overtake me on a narrow road coming towards a left hand bend with two oncoming cars approaching
    I left the sound on it so the horn of the onconimg car was audible but this meant my use of the F-word is also audible :(

Are you not out in the middle of the road causing an obstruction?

doughef wrote: »
    You're right - I'm not!
    If you look carefully, you'll see some white paint indicating the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

This makes you sound incredibly stupid.

You're right - I'm not!
    If you look carefully, you'll see some white paint indicating the middle of the road.

But it was a narrow road- motorist was unable to pass safely with you so far out ?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    This makes you sound incredibly stupid.

That’s not very polite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

But it was a narrow road- motorist was unable to pass safely with you so far out ?

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yeah, and those aresholes in the cars coming the other way are also obstructing that lane.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

Please don’t edit my posts.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Yeah, and those aresholes in the cars coming the other way are also obstructing that lane.

I disagree. Surely they were just driving along ?

I was in the left lane. Where else shoukd I be?
    I have as much right to use the road as the dick from Re***kil. I am not hugging the side of the road as this is dangerous. I am following the recommendations from the Road Safety Authority on cycling safely.
    If the sick behind me cannot pass safely then even if I move slightly to my left, he still can't pass me safely. It's really not that hard to understand.

I was in the left lane. Where else shoukd I be?
    I have as much right to use the road as the dick from Re***kil. I am not hugging the side of the road as this is dangerous. I am following the recommendations from the Road Safety Authority on cycling safely.
    If the sick behind me cannot pass safely then even if I move slightly to my left, he still can't pass me safely. It's really not that hard to understand.

Fair enough - I still believe you were causing the obstruction but I welcome the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

its an unbroken line, so the video taker should not be moving into the side to encourage passing out.

To the video taker - you are in the right but looking at that road, it looks fairly dangerous to be cycling on. you sure you want to be exercising your right to cycle on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: The cyclist in the video was not in the middle of the road, there is no debate on this. Nonetheless if a poster doesn't not understand this, please explain it rather than name calling.

Jusr to add, i am 100% in the right. My road position is as per the rules of the road.
    The overtaking driver is 100% in the wrong for the following:
    * dangerously passing a vulnerable road user
    * overtaking on a solid white line
    * overtaking on the approach to a blind bend
    * overtaking while there is oncoming traffic

Do you still think I'm in the wrong and if so please explain why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Fair enough - I still believe you were causing the obstruction but I welcome the debate.

By this logic, all vehicles are an obstruction and shouldn't be on the road.

Advertisement