Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To the video taker - you are in the right but looking at that road, it looks fairly dangerous to be cycling on. you sure you want to be exercising your right to cycle on it.
    Its a quiet country road which connects two villages (L2215 approaching Batterstown Co Meath from Kilcloon).
    Where should I cycle? Maybe I should have got off the bike and walked the few kms?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Jusr to add, i am 100% in the right. My road position is as per the rules of the road.
    The overtaking driver is 100% in the wrong for the following:
    * dangerously passing a vulnerable road user
    * overtaking on a solid white line
    * overtaking on the approach to a blind bend
    * overtaking while there is oncoming traffic

Do you still think I'm in the wrong and if so please explain why?

The video gives a perspective of a cyclist too far out from the verge - making it unsafe for motorists to pass safely.
    I understand I wasn’t there and your emotionally involved.
    Sometimes emotions can get the better of us in dangerous situations

Glad nobody was hurt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

doughef wrote: »
    Fair enough - I still believe you were causing the obstruction but I welcome the debate.

There is nowhere in that lane that the cyclist could have been where the exact same thing would not have happened. The only way the near miss would not have happened is if the van had waited and overtook when it was safe to do so. Its a single lane, the van cannot safely overtake within the lane. If you look at the video you will notice two really important things that show this to be true. Firstly, it is a solid white line indicating that they should not overtake. Secondly, when they pull back in to avoid the oncoming cars, you will notice that the space to the side of the van would not accommodate a pedestrian, cyclist or in fact, anyone. Are you seeing something that I am not? because I really can't fathom how anyone sees it any differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

But it was a narrow road- motorist was unable to pass safely with you so far out ?

Solid white line approaching a bend?
    The video gives a perspective of a cyclist too far out from the verge - making it unsafe for motorists to pass safely.

If you think that road was not wide enough for someone in a car to safely overtake a cyclist, perhaps you shouldn't drive them.

To the video taker - you are in the right but looking at that road, it looks fairly dangerous to be cycling on. you sure you want to be exercising your right to cycle on it.

MOD VOICE: Don't go down this road, it is a public road, it is not about exercising rights which implies it was done to prove a point. Leave it there, if you disagree, any discussion can be done via PM.

• Advertisement

Glad nobody was hurt
    It's nothing to do with emotion.
    There is a mistaken belief that cyclists should be way over to the left of the lane. This belief is not correct and in fact is dangerous as it only encourages drivers to take chances.
    The advice from the RSA is to cycle in the centre of the lane which is referred to as "Primary Position"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Glad nobody was hurt

The motorist did not have to pass. It was the motorist who choose to pass in a dangerous manner. The cyclist had nothing to do with the motorists decision. He was traffic too. If it had been a car that the van driver had passed, then it would also have been a dangerous choice. The motorist is the only one at fault for making idiotic choices that endangered other peoples lives.

The motorist did not have to pass. It was the motorist who choose to pass in a dangerous manner. The cyclist had nothing to do with the motorists decision. He was traffic too. If it had been a car that the van driver had passed, then it would also have been a dangerous choice. The motorist is the only one at fault for making idiotic choices that endangered other peoples lives.

Sound - thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But it was a narrow road- motorist was unable to pass safely with you so far out ?
    okay, i'll tackle this.
    you say it's a narrow road; let's say the lane is 3m wide each side. it's probably not that wide, but we'll run with it.

Seth probably needs to cycle 50cm out from the verge for his own safety, and say Seth's shoulders are 50cm wide. we're at a metre.
    it looks like a 60km/h+ zone, and the official guidance for motorists is to give 1.5m clearance when passing cyclists. we're now at 2.5m.
    the car itself is 2m wide. we're now at 4.5m.

so to perform a safe overtake, the motorist *has* to use up half the oncoming lane. if you expect Seth to cycle with his shoulder right up against the edge of the road (which is advised against), there's still not enough space for the motorist to overtake safely, so the motorist simply has to wait until there's no visible oncoming traffic on a stretch of road where visibility ensures he or she can complete the overtake successfully.

and if the motorist has to use up half the oncoming lane, they are able to use it all. so Seth's positioning is now moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Why is everyone feeding the troll :confused:

• Advertisement

He makes a bimonthly appearance in these threads. I did think he was banned though.

VonLuck wrote: »

Why would anyone be a troll if they are asking legitimate questions?
    Just because they don’t suit the narrative?

Not very nice .

He makes a bimonthly appearance in these threads. I did think he was banned though.

Thanks- but please don’t discuss me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

VonLuck wrote: »
    if you think someone is a troll, report the post; the above sort of language is unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fair enough - I still believe you were causing the obstruction but I welcome the debate.

Do you think that an overtaking driver could have safely passed any cyclist, even one riding in the gutter, without crossing the centre line?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, with faux concern for cyclists and their actions that put them in danger like cycling on the road, overtaking other cyclists etc...

@Seth, are you going to contact the company that own the van?
    I reached out via Twitter but honestly don't expect them to respond (it would be foolish of them really to say anything). I'll head up to my local Garda Stn later and do the usual nonsense that reporting a driver entails.

Does walking the bike count?

Headed off with the wee fella to a farm a couple of km up the road. He was in the trailer and I was on a road bike. Got a puncture, and called for backup as he isn’t feeling well today. My wife came in the car and got him and the trailer. Of course I didn’t have anything to fix the puncture with as I was going to be so close to home.

So I went walking home pushing the bike in the hard shoulder facing oncoming traffic. I heard a big vehicle coming behind me. I didn’t worry about it as it was the opposite side of a wide road and I was in the opposite hard shoulder. Just as it passed me, a car passes it, and missed the handlebars by about 5cm. All I know is that it was a white car. It was going too fast to catch any other details.

Left hooked by a driver on the phone, who didn't indicate and swerved into the bus lane. Let a roar that everyone bar the driver heard, they just kept chatting away. I am not a quiet guy, it was frightening that they could have actually hit me and never even realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Had a driver pass me on a blind RH bend, he went over the white line then had to swerve to avoid a yellow council van coming in the other direction. Gave him the 2 finger salute and he pulled in. He tried to convince me that he was in the right and that he has every right to cross the white line etc. When I reminded him that it was a bad bend he said that he could see any oncoming traffic through a gap in the hedge!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Had a driver pass me on a blind RH bend, he went over the white line then had to swerve to avoid a yellow council van coming in the other direction. Gave him the 2 finger salute and he pulled in. He tried to convince me that he was in the right and that he has every right to cross the white line etc. When I reminded him that it was a bad bend he said that he could see any oncoming traffic through a gap in the hedge!

Amazing how they don't have time to hold back for 10-20 seconds and pass safely, but have all the time in the world to argue it out afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Close one earlier today, young fella in a Golf coming from the direction of Barton Road ploughed straight through the roundabout without looking or yielding, thankfully I braked in time to avoid a collision. Had a word with him near Nutgrove SC, said he didn't see me but how could he if wasn't looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Amazing how they don't have time to hold back for 10-20 seconds and pass safely, but have all the time in the world to argue it out afterwards.

I actually said that to him! One of the guys that works for me knows him and apparently he was reported to the Guards a couple of months ago for reckless driving!

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Close one earlier today, young fella in a Golf coming from the direction of Barton Road ploughed straight through the roundabout without looking or yielding, thankfully I braked in time to avoid a collision. Had a word with him near Nutgrove SC, said he didn't see me but how could he if wasn't looking.

Used to live in that area, would be unusual if a week went by when I didn't get beeped at or nearly taken out of it there. Usually from idiots coming from Nutgrove side as I was proceeding around to Barton Rd. or cars beeping from behind as they felt I was slowing them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Cycling along Leopardstown Road which has possibly one of the worst cycle lanes I’ve encountered so I’m sure on the road. 2 lanes, minimal traffic. Some gob****e in a pickup truck still felt the need to give me a good 5 second blast as he overtook me in the also empty outside lane.

i used to cycle that to get to work. i had a fan, a woman (driving on her own with an L plate) who blew at me on at least four occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Horrible road, horrible cycle track, and unfortunately quite an entitled and horrible neighbourhood.

i reckon i had more 'interactions' with drivers on that road than i think on any other road i've cycled. including a couple of full on shouting matches which i should have had the sense to cycle away from.

one i do remember fondly is a chap in an open top jag, who beeped at me repeatedly to get out of his way, so i played the innocent naif and stopped and asked him was everything alright? he gave me a very arch 'what is wrong with the cycle path, young man?' and seemed a little discombobulated when i burst out laughing and said 'everything. everything is wrong with that cycle path'.

i did also once see what i reckon could have been a quite spectacular crash; i was headed in the same direction as the burgundy mondeo here, at a decent clip (40km/h at a guess), and a motorist overtook me and pulled back in far too quickly; i genuinely didn't know if he was trying to make the left hand turn, but he swerved *just* in time and at least one of his tyres clipped the kerb where that second cycle lane sign is. i reckon if his reaction times had been even a twentieth of a second slower, he'd have flipped the car at about 60km/h.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2764725,-6.1878957,3a,75y,205.89h,85.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s88rtY1vCq0e-wxLExA0t4A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Horrible road, horrible cycle track, and unfortunately quite an entitled and horrible neighbourhood.

Yeah it’s not one of my favourite routes. But it is the way I usually go to get up to the mountains so end up on it quite regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm in the car now for the foreseeable future. Freelancing with heavy gear so the bike isn't an option. When I was employed by a company I used to commute on the bike the gear was already there.

Have any of you notice when driving cars or vans if you hang back and give the cyclists space, indicate and give them lots of room the driver behind you seems to do the same?

Advertisement