Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If cyclists were empowered to call out poor driver behaviour (by Gardai actually listening to and following up on complaints) then the roads would be a much more enjoyable and safer place to cycle.

I agree with your point - but to add in, cyclists ARE empowered to call out poor driver behaviour on a 1:1 case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, there is little chance of Garda follow up, but it is possible to make behaviour such as bad parking socially unacceptable. If every driver knows that every time they try to park on a bike lane, somebody is probably going to pull up at their window and ask them to move, they will be less likely to park.
    kenmm wrote: »
    But unfortunately our police are only there to meet targets and monetise.
    Gardai don't monetise anything. For example, the speed van contract costs the state about €10 million each year. That's two schools not getting built each year because drivers won't obey speed limits.
    Tough call tbh - because a lot of the time, taking the law into ones own hands, often offends people (especially the stupid). If hurts someones ego and therefore they are more likely to retaliate in a negative way. If I had the money I'd go back and study this!

The people with actual authority should for sure be taking ownership of this. But due to years of cuts there is not a chance. Unless a lot more people start getting killed, in which case there will be a reactionary response.
    So we can't ask someone to move their illegally parked car in case they get offended? If I let my dog crap on your lawn every morning, are you going to worry about how offended I will get when you ask me to stop?
    Road users rarely react well to be admonished by other road users. In most cases, people get thick and defensive. If the goal is to get them to reflect on their behaviour, then nine times out of ten, you're probably not going to achieve it.

The driver getting defensive is not an indicator that your interaction doesn't have a positive impact. They may well get defensive, and still may well think twice about the illegal parking next time round.
    You have all gotten a whole backstory about this grandad stopping to collect kids etc being a selfish fu(k- he may just be a confused old duffer that didn't know what the fu(k was going on - got his licence in the days when Ireland gave them out for free. Who knows and more importantly what difference does it make? You won't teach anyone on the site of the road.
    If the 'old duffer' (your words) doesn't know WTF is going on, then he shouldn't be behind the wheel of a lethal weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Tough call tbh - because a lot of the time, taking the law into ones own hands, often offends people (especially the stupid). If hurts someones ego and therefore they are more likely to retaliate in a negative way. If I had the money I'd go back and study this!

I'm not saying cyclists should break the law to enforce the law, which is what you've implied by saying taking the law into one's own hands, I'm saying that cyclists could be more vocal in calling out poor driver behaviour when they see it. And if this happened then less motorists would act the dick.

It needs a cultural shift and while it'd be great if the gardai, RSA, local authorities etc took the lead on it, I don't see any reason why it can't be lead from the bottom up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I agree with your point - but to add in, cyclists ARE empowered to call out poor driver behaviour on a 1:1 case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, there is little chance of Garda follow up, but it is possible to make behaviour such as bad parking socially unacceptable. If every driver knows that every time they try to park on a bike lane, somebody is probably going to pull up at their window and ask them to move, they will be less likely to park.

I actually meant to write more empowered.

I'd agree with the bolded part, go to places like Amsterdam or Copenhagen and see what happens if you even walk in a cycle lane, never mind park a car in one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Or just go round him - whats the point in getting all bangy window about a nob end. The op came round the corner, *stopped, waited* until the idiot reversed or came closer to the car and started banging the window.

Alternatively he could be up at the baggot st end no worries, while idiot fu(k head is still meandering all over the place!

What happens if the next time he does it, a small child is cycling along there and he hasn't noticed. No need to be aggressive but pointing out his stupidity is fair game.

Cyclist this morning went through a red and cut across a ped, then went through a zebra crossing as 3 people were on it. Next a car was turning right into a parking space and as it started, he went around them, on the right. I called him on it, told him he was a f*cking idiot who would get himself or someone else injured. It might not change his attitude but then again it might, but if I said nothing, he would never change.

Not advocating starting arguments but if someone is an idiot, they should have it pointed out to them IMO I get it pointed out to me all the time, and while I can, on occasion, be annoyed at the time, I know better the next time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kander wrote: »
    No dangerous over take or close pass. Just someone doing something stupid and being lucky having good breaks in the wet.

https://streamable.com/bsode
    I'm reminded of my post from the other day on this...
    I think the video also shows another issue on our roads - far too many drivers deliberately drive onto the yellow hatched box with no hope of getting through the junction and therefore need to stop. I didn't bother wasting time counting the number of them in the above video but there was a good few.
    Whilst I acknowledge that she was turning right (which means that she can stop on a yellow box), she ended up obstructing the road which caused a danger to you. Her move onto the box was made out of selfishness - this is why she deliberately blocked the road whilst traffic was approaching from her right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The driver getting defensive is not an indicator that your interaction doesn't have a positive impact. They may well get defensive, and still may well think twice about the illegal parking next time round.

Have you ever met someone who's told you that they had a full on row with someone on the road but once they'd gotten home and calmed down, they'd realised the other person had a point? I haven't....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Effects wrote: »

Do you really think the situation will get better by just allowing people to block cycle lanes due to laziness?

You are not there to police the roads. You have no authority and as a result no one will give a damn.
    He's forcing cyclists to move from a protected cycle lane, through the wands, into a busy car lane, on a corner where people generally speed in cars.
    That might be fine for you or me, but maybe not for more vulnerable or inexperienced cyclists. It's the kind of thing that would put off a parent bringing their child on a bike, who will end up just driving instead.

Generally yes, but clearly not in this situation. You are not so rigid that you cannot adapt to situations.
    If he can't see that he's better off parking in parking space 100m away, rather than manoeuvring into blocking a cycle lane then perhaps he shouldn't be on the road at all.
    Absolutely - again, not much you can do about it (except what you did do, which I think wont achieve your goal..) but we can agree to disagree!

Kander wrote: »
    No dangerous over take or close pass. Just someone doing something stupid and being lucky having good breaks in the wet.

https://streamable.com/bsode
    Sometimes when that happens me, I find that my foot slips out just as I move in front of the vehicle, leading to a bit of a delay as I get myself sorted again.
    Have you ever met someone who's told you that they had a full on row with someone on the road but once they'd gotten home and calmed down, they'd realised the other person had a point? I haven't....
    Have you ever met someone who did something sh1tty and dangerous on the road, and no-one said anything to them about about, and once they got home they realised they were wrong?

If you do nothing, nothing changes. That's 100% certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

You are not there to police the roads. You have no authority and as a result no one will give a damn.

If you were sitting on a bus and someone lit a cigarette, what would you think if someone asked them to put it out? Would you think that they aren't there to police the bus?

Asking somebody to not do something illegal is not policing. Trying to physically restrain them or enact some kind of punishment (it would be way more fun if people could collect the fines from offences they report) would be policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Anyway - I need to do some actual work!

Every situation is different and all these hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals is fine. Hopefully some food for thought. I wasn't there with the OP and don't know how bad it actually was. I am not saying you should let people dangerously take the piss or suggesting people are advocating breaking the law. But as fellow road users we are not there to enforce the law. Even if the person should clearly not be driving or whatever.

All we can do is ensure safety of ourselves and others.

An awareness that interactions with some people will often lead to them retaliating in worse ways is often missing as many people adopt this black and white thinking and a bit of self righteousness and therefore situations often escalate (or worse lead to other bad interactions with other road users later in the day). I am not saying this happened here.

• Advertisement

All we can do is ensure safety of ourselves and others.

Telling other people to stop doing dangerous sh1t is absolutely ensuring safety of ourselves and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I actually remembered some other boardie having the same problem on that roundabout video which is why I posted this one.

I'm building a library of stupid things drivers do to counter argue people when they go on a rant about people on bikes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Usually, if someone is creating an obstruction through bad driving/rule breaking I'll just go around them. Stopping to have a barney rarely improves the situation and you're just creating a hazard because the two of you are focused on arguing with one and other rather than on what's going on around you.

Road users rarely react well to be admonished by other road users. In most cases, people get thick and defensive. If the goal is to get them to reflect on their behaviour, then nine times out of ten, you're probably not going to achieve it.

3 mornings out of 4 this week there's been a pedestrian at this section of pathway trying to block cyclists on their bikes - arms spread wide either side of himself - whilst roaring about cycling on the path.

I've simply nipped onto the grass and gone around him (and this morning sent a text to a Garda I know based on Donnybrook), but I've seen others roaring abuse at him as they've passed also.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.339881,-6.2275728,3a,49y,173.42h,93.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stKRQwJ0Jh2q-VWAscecnNQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Similar logic to what's being argued above - I'm struggling to see how getting into a confrontational situation is going to make anyone reconsider their behaviour - IMO it's far more likely to result in more deeply entrenched positions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Have you ever met someone who did something sh1tty and dangerous on the road, and no-one said anything to them about about, and once they got home they realised they were wrong?.

Yeah. Every time I've made a mistake, done something rash, or a misjudged something while driving or cycling, I've realised it myself and resolved to avoid making the same mistake twice.

Any time I've had someone shouting or beeping at me, they've either a.) been in the wrong, or b.) telling me something I've already realised.

Most of the time it's been a.) though. People's aggressiveness is usually in inverse proportion to their knowledge of road traffic law.

Yeah. Every time I've made a mistake, done something rash, or a misjudged something while driving or cycling, I've realised it myself and resolved to avoid making the same mistake twice.

Any time I've had someone shouting or beeping at me, they've either a.) been in the wrong, or b.) telling me something I've already realised.

Most of the time it's been a.) though. People's aggressiveness is usually in inverse proportion to their knowledge of road traffic law.

And for other less perfect humans than yourself, the drivers that we see speeding, using their phones, watching videos, parking on cycle lanes every day

Do you know any of them that suddenly have 'road to Damascus' style conversions to become compliant drivers without anyone actually saying something?

Do you extend this approach to other areas of life - parenting, dog training, managing employees - just say nothing about any problems and hope that they sort themselves out?

Yeah, commenting on random strangers' parenting skills usually ends well alright.;)

Yeah, commenting on random strangers' parenting skills usually ends well alright.;)

I'm not suggesting that you comment on other people's parenting skills.

I'm wondering whether, when your kids (or your dog, or your staff) do something wrong, you just keep your mouth shut and hope they'll sort it out themselves, or do you actually say something?

My own children? I think that analogy's been stretched so much that it snapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Whilst I acknowledge that she was turning right (which means that she can stop on a yellow box), she ended up obstructing the road which caused a danger to you. Her move onto the box was made out of selfishness - this is why she deliberately blocked the road whilst traffic was approaching from her right.

This is not actually true. You are not allowed onto the yellow box unless your exit is clear. Turning left or going straight ahead is no problem but when turning right, there may be oncoming traffic that you need to wait for. That is the only circumstance where you are allowed stop on the yellow box.

The situation we regularly see is where the exit to the right is blocked so somebody drives onto the box to wait for the exit to clear. This leads to the junction being illegally blocked. This behaviour is simple selfishness.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This is not actually true. You are not allowed onto the yellow box unless your exit is clear. Turning left or going straight ahead is no problem but when turning right, there may be oncoming traffic that you need to wait for. That is the only circumstance where you are allowed stop on the yellow box.

The situation we regularly see is where the exit to the right is blocked so somebody drives onto the box to wait for the exit to clear. This leads to the junction being illegally blocked. This behaviour is simple selfishness.
    I understand that - I just wasn't clear

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

cdaly_ wrote: »

Unless I'm mistaken this is the actual law, there's an exemption from waiting for your exit be to be clear when you're turning right.
    Box junctions

29. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), where traffic sign number RRM 020 (yellow box) is provided on a public road or at a junction between one or more roads or at a junction between one or more roads and a light railway (whether the junctions are controlled by traffic sign number RTS 001, RTS 002, RTS 004 or RTS 013 (traffic lights), or otherwise) and notwithstanding any indication to the contrary that may be given by such traffic signs, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter, either partly or wholly, the cross-hatched area unless the vehicle can clear the area without stopping.

(2) Sub-article (1) does not apply where the driver of a vehicle intending to make a right hand turn at a junction enters the cross-hatched area for that purpose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The exit has to be clear to enter a yellow box, as cdaly was saying, going straight or left means you will drive straight through. Turning right is not an exemption, it's just that even if your exit is clear, your ability to exit may be impeded, hence you can 'sit' on the yellow box. In the other two scenarios, you should never need too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Bit of a nutter taking the racing line on Strawberry Beds this morning.

5uspect wrote: »
    Bit of a nutter taking the racing line on Strawberry Beds this morning.
    Maybe that's the infamous red mini too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That is the Mini!!!

This happened this morning. :mad:

WTF can you do with these people? They're a danger to everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you get the reg?

I did. It's pretty clear on the video before Youtube mangles it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

That's one of the worst I've ever seen, I'd 100% be going to the guards

Advertisement