Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

riewomann wrote: »
    Congratulations on fulfilling the entitled cyclist stereotype in a record no of characters.

I haven't ridden a bike in years, ironically because of the actions of a self entitled motorist who felt his vehicle could use mine to brake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Riewomann no longer appears to be a member of boards (nothing to do with me) so no point in replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Well, at least I'll give the motorist 10 out of 10 for consistency from Sunday. First near miss was to blast through a mini-roundabout from my left without leaving off when I had right of way - I had to brake sharply to avoid him nearly T-boning me. Then as I caught up with him at the next lights he did an immediate left hook. Bike blind (see sense blaring back and front) or just doesn't give a ****e? answers on a post card please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Bike blind (see sense blaring back and front) or just doesn't give a ****e? answers on a post card please.

I would say a little from Column A combined with a good dollop from Column B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

On Sunday I watched a taxi driver come so close to knocking a cyclist off her bike as he tried to overtake her approaching Crossguns Bridge. Had he managed to get past her he would have stopped behind a bus within 20 metres. Bizarre how he was so anxious to pass her just to stop in traffic but also wouldn't have a problem waiting behind said bus but sitting behind a bike would drive him insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I think I had 5 near misses today. One of them was scary. Not one F given by any of them. Very poor driving out there lately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

I think I had 5 near misses today. One of them was scary. Not one F given by any of them. Very poor driving out there lately

Anecdotal I know, but the standard of driving has seriously declined as things have opened up, and I say this as both cyclist and driver-I've seen more close passes, cut offs and rage incidents in the paste couple of weeks than the last 5 years combined

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Not a near miss for me but for on coming traffic.
    Cycling along the Porterstown Road this evening and before Porterstown Park or St. Mochta's Church could hear a car behind approaching but surely they'd slow down with the oncoming traffic? No, text book over take given me plenty of room but the oncoming car clipped and then mounted the footpath to avoid him. Bizarre incident, oncoming car didn't even have time to blow the horn so not sure if they even realised there was a problem.
    They were stopped at the lights further on past the church so pulled up along side to check their windscreen paper but all tax, insurance and NCT was in order. They never engaged and stayed behind me well past the entrance to Luttrellstown Castle Golf Club and again performed a text book overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

Got hit this morning heading up the East Wall Road towards the Port, just at the section after the rail crossing. Roughly 10:45. Clapped out BMW flew up behind, ran parallel to within a couple of inches and knocked me sideways with his left wing mirror I'd say at 30kph. First time I've ever been physically hit like this. Luckily I managed to keep control of the bike, and tore into him at the traffic lights up ahead. I didn't even register with him, and got no apology apart from a shrug and smirk off the prick.

Extremely unlucky timing also as I'd only turned off the cycle cam a few minutes previously going up the quays; battery was near finished, but now think there was more than enough juice left to have caught the full thing. I'll never allow that to happen again, as the East Wall Road is the most dangerous part of my commute into the Port. It was all the more shaking today for me as there was a young lad killed in the area last week.

Didn't manage to recall the full reg. of the vehicle unfortunately, and got blocked from the Cartell site for too many searches when I think I was close to finding it :confused: Made the call to Traffic Watch anyhow, and gave a full description of the vehicle, the time and what occurred, the exact location, approximate age of driver etc. Left my details also and will pass on any developments here.

Garzard wrote: »
    Didn't manage to recall the full reg. of the vehicle unfortunately, and got blocked from the Cartell site for too many searches when I think I was close to finding it :confused: Made the call to Traffic Watch anyhow, and gave a full description of the vehicle, the time and what occurred, the exact location, approximate age of driver etc. Left my details also and will pass on any developments here.

There is a search function on the Pulse system that allows for matches once you have the jist of the reg and the car type. The more info the better obviously

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

francois wrote: »
    Anecdotal I know, but the standard of driving has seriously declined as things have opened up
    i'd agree, but; i think the slide has been happening for a year or two now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The worst driving I've ever experienced from people was during Lockdown I. Without other cars in the way to slow people down, people just went nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Clapped out BMW flew up behind, ran parallel to within a couple of inches and knocked me sideways with his left wing mirror I'd say at 30kph.

Didn't manage to recall the full reg. of the vehicle unfortunately, and got blocked from the Cartell site for too many searches when I think I was close to finding it :confused.

Try the ncts.ie website also, have used that a few times to confirm the reg and also helps to check if NCT is in date, guards are more likely to pursue if details are out of date so I usually make a habit of checking paper work rather than engaging with driver if I catch up to them.

In your case however I don't know if I'd have your composure especially to the unapologetic driver and I'd fear I'd have removed the wing mirror.

Stark wrote: »
    The worst driving I've ever experienced from people was during Lockdown I. Without other cars in the way to slow people down, people just went nuts.

Agree 100%. And these are people who, at the same time, queued for hours without question outside shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

Try the ncts.ie website also, have used that a few times to confirm the reg and also helps to check if NCT is in date, guards are more likely to pursue if details are out of date so I usually make a habit of checking paper work rather than engaging with driver if I catch up to them.

In your case however I don't know if I'd have your composure especially to the unapologetic driver and I'd fear I'd have removed the wing mirror.

Thanks, although would there be a limit to the number of searches on that site? I made several dozen on Cartell in the space of a few minutes to try and narrow down the reg and then got blocked. Since the family also use this PC for NCT purposes, I wouldn't want to get everyone locked out of a more important site!

Anywhere else, yeah. But the East Wall Road is one of the last places to escalate something on, as it's an entry and exit route for the M50 and made more dangerous by port traffic, particularly HGV's constantly entering and exiting from other areas. Dangerous spot at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Try https://www.motorcheck.ie/ and you might get there. Same function as Cartell.ie.

The now infamous roadworks in Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow.

So dangerous the local cycling club have had to reroute their club spins due to it's dangers.

My second time in a month to come genuinely close to being killed or seriously injured on this lethal stretch or road.

After one close pass too many I take primary position the entire length of it at all times. Ordinarily that isn't an issue but this moron decided he wasn't going to be delayed. Despite only being behind me momemtarily he sat on his horn and then pulled this stunt. Unfortunately my Fly6 decided to malfunction this time:

What can't be seen in this clip is his hubcap leaving his car due to impact with a cone. Not content with doing what he did he then slammed on his brakes and decided to get out and admonish me for his idiocy. I have stopped the video at this stage as I completely let loose on him to the point he said he was leaving as 'there is no point arginig with you'. Who the hell leaves their house looking for arguments with strangers? This is the sort of lunatic ony too familiar to every single person on this page.

If he did return later for his missing hubcap he might be able to see it but he won't be able to reach it!

As per always this and my other footage is available to anybody who has an issue on this stretch. The council have been notified

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

^^

Camera, hit by car mirror, claim :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Well, why were you cycling in the middle of the road?

You were in his way and he's more important than some silly cyclist.

I hope you report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What can't be seen in this clip is his hubcap leaving his car due to impact with a cone.
    There IS a God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

In such a hurry he pulls over and stops...

micar wrote: »
    Well, why were you cycling in the middle of the road?

You were in his way and he's more important than some silly cyclist.

I hope you report him.

That was the basis of his argument believe it or not!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    In such a hurry he pulls over and stops...

When I pointed that out the irony of it was completely lost on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

My god that is crazy driving from him. Why can't people have some patience.

Drake66 wrote: »
    My god that is crazy driving from him. Why can't people have some patience.

Exactly. And these are the same people who have queued in the rain without question to get into shops for the last year and a half!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's brutal there at the moment. I'm waiting to see what sort of mad solution they put in place for when they need to tar the inside lane. I haven't had an issue there yet, but it's not a comfortable section to cycle for sure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cork Twitter user RightToBikeIt had this close pass from a driving school trainer recently...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1394629072983035906

Apparently the RSA took an interest in the incident.

The driving school owner sent this response which leaves me feeling somewhat lost for words...

E12o-ZWXIAAChj4?format=jpg
    E12o-m6WEAEcJKE?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^
    Any hint of an apology?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When he responds with something to the effect of "the cyclist shouldn't have been there and they were lucky I just managed to avoid them", I don't think they are ready to apologise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

What utter horse**** from that instructor.

Advertisement