Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

it depends; some of the dashed cycle lanes actually share space with car lanes, so a car could not physically drive in the car lane without occupying the cycle lane too.
    but in general, i think they should only cross into the cycle lane when they're actually *crossing* the cycle lane.

yet, if a person on a bike takes the lane when there is a dashed lane, drivers lose their minds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

This bike lane is right before the entrance to my work. There's always heavy traffic in the morning, as the entrance covers 3 different schools. Slow moving/stop start traffic means there's nearly always someone parked across the "straight ahead" cycle lane.

554136.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    ...I'm not sure how you reconcile "park in a non-mandatory cycle track" with "do not obstruct a cycle track", but anyway.
    It means that you must not obstruct the cycle track EXCEPT where you have to load/unload and have no other viable option.

(AFAIK a vehicle loading/unloading must be taxed commercially - i.e. loading your shopping from a supermarket is not permitted).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It means that you must not obstruct the cycle track EXCEPT where you have to load/unload and have no other viable option.

(AFAIK a vehicle loading/unloading must be taxed commercially - i.e. loading your shopping from a supermarket is not permitted).

I'd like confirmation on this. Most of the vehicles I encounter which are parked in non-mandatory cycle lanes are cars with their hazards on just popping into the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

On the opposite side, my mrs was about to turn left at the seatown roundabout in to swords today, started her maneuver when a dopey cyclist cut inside her whilst going straight on, car behind almost hit her when she jammed on & blew his horn. Cyclists reaction was an i dont care flip of the hand. Doent help the cause!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    On the opposite side, my mrs was about to turn left at the seatown roundabout in to swords today, started her maneuver when a dopey cyclist cut inside her whilst going straight on, car behind almost hit her when she jammed on & blew his horn. Cyclists reaction was an i dont care flip of the hand. Doent help the cause!
    On behalf of us cyclists I do apologize.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    On behalf of us cyclists I do apologize.

Do i have to apologise for all dickhead car drivers now! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do i have to apologise for all dickhead car drivers now! ;):p

Of course! Sure your all the same right? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doesn't look as bad in the video but the driver merged in on me, phone in hand, child in the back seat who I'd say I scared the sh1t out of. Sorry for the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Maybe the car behind blew the horn to alert her that she was about to turn into an already alongside cyclist who was doing nothing wrong by being to the left travelling straight on. They are not going to be aware of an indicator (if even on) if they're alongside while the mrs was only looking to the right.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Doesn't look as bad in the video but the driver merged in on me, phone in hand, child in the back seat who I'd say I scared the sh1t out of. Sorry for the language.

Nope, looks plenty bad in the video too.

Maybe the car behind blew the horn to alert her that she was about to turn into an already alongside cyclist who was doing nothing wrong by being to the left travelling straight on. They are not going to be aware of an indicator (if even on) if they're alongside while the mrs was only looking to the right.

Wrong. He sped through as she was already making the maneuver, as i said above. We have video of it. Driver behind was in agreement with the horn blow as gestured afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

VonLuck wrote: »
    So you can park in a non-mandatory cycle track, but maintain a duty of care and do not obstruct a cycle track. Also if there is no information plate you cannot park at all. :confused:

Clear as mud.

This was annoying me, so I went digging last night...

SI 332/2012:
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5 a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose, referred to in sub-article (2).

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

(m) in a cycle track where traffic sign number RUS 009, RUS 058 or RUS 059 is provided, or

Those signs are respectively, cycle track, shared path/cycle track and contra-flow cycle track. So no parking in those tracks.

Article 5 (of 274/1998) makes an exception though:
    (5) A prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36 (2) (m) shall not apply to a vehicle parked in a cycle track, on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 023 has been provided, while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of such parking.

RRM 023 is the line marking for a non-mandatory lane. (RRM 022 is the line marking for a mandatory lane.)

So, if a cycle track has a sign, you're not allowed park in it - no distinction between mandatory and non-mandatory, what matters if there's round blue sign (RUS 009, RUS 058) or a contra-flow sign (RUS 059).

However, if the cycle track is marked with non-mandatory line markings (RRM 023), that restriction doesn't apply to parking while loading/unloading for up to thirty minutes. I can't see a restriction on the type of vehicle.

I am not a lawyer and the Road Traffic Acts are a mess in general and desperately need to be amalgamated into one coherent Act, but that's my reading of it.

edit: posted in legislation thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117280124&postcount=273

However, if the cycle track is marked with non-mandatory line markings (RRM 023), that restriction doesn't apply to parking while loading/unloading for up to thirty minutes. I can't see a restriction on the type of vehicle.

I'd have to look it up but the actions of gardai is that to use a loading or unloading space, you must have commercial tax, so only work vehicles, presumably the implication being that the same goes for this legislation but I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The dog joining in made the video. Not sure whether he was agreeing or disagreeing with you though, I think he might have been barking something about road tax.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

RIP.
    Watched this movie with my daughter a few weeks ago...

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1397659467416629248

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not loading for me. but i think twitter itself is having a slight panic attack.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One of the kids from the movie "School of Rock" was killed by a driver whilst cycling in Chicago
    It reads...
    'School of Rock' star Kevin Clark dies at 32, per @TMZ
    A motorist crashed into him while he was cycling in Chicago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SI 332/2012:

Those signs are respectively, cycle track, shared path/cycle track and contra-flow cycle track. So no parking in those tracks.

RRM 023 is the line marking for a non-mandatory lane. (RRM 022 is the line marking for a mandatory lane.)

So, if a cycle track has a sign, you're not allowed park in it - no distinction between mandatory and non-mandatory, what matters if there's round blue sign (RUS 009, RUS 058) or a contra-flow sign (RUS 059).

I am not a lawyer and the Road Traffic Acts are a mess in general and desperately need to be amalgamated into one coherent Act, but that's my reading of it.

edit: posted in legislation thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117280124&postcount=273

What's the appropriate penalty when you find one of these in a bike lane?

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/8119735_3e64a3f5

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Driving in town today, saw a driver ahead give a cyclist plenty of room. Literally full car across the line. Straight into the path of another car. I'm sure they had to come to a complete stop. Car that overtook the bike then turned left into a shopping centre about 5 seconds later...cant figure out their thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

....cant figure out their thinking

I think it could be related to that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Paddigol

SI 332/2012:

Walking to the office today up Westland Row and there was an An Post van parked in the bike lane, having driven across the fixed plastic dividing yokes to get there. Three - THREE - Gardai on bikes just pulled into the main lane and overtook it. I think that tells you all you need to know about the attitude of Gardai to bike lanes really.

Wrong. He sped through as she was already making the maneuver, as i said above. We have video of it. Driver behind was in agreement with the horn blow as gestured afterwards.

Fair.
    Why not post the video, don't see why a near miss caused by reckless cycling wouldn't be any less relevant here.

Fair.
    Why not post the video, don't see why a near miss caused by reckless cycling wouldn't be any less relevant here.

Indeed, although having seen some of the reasons drivers beep, I suspect he was giving out to the other driver for stopping and nearly catching them out, rather than agreeing that the cyclist was a douchebag.

Indeed, although having seen some of the reasons drivers beep, I suspect he was giving out to the other driver for stopping and nearly catching them out, rather than agreeing that the cyclist was a douchebag.

I had the same suspicion, would be rare for drivers to beep in empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I detest that stretch. Even during the 2km lockdown it was rotten. It was named in a recent report as one of the hotspots for cyclist fatalities and injuries

I detest that stretch. Even during the 2km lockdown it was rotten. It was named in a recent report as one of the hotspots for cyclist fatalities and injuries

At about 4:37 there is a set of pedestrian lights where a child was killed not that long ago. Every day that I meet a red there, you have cars coming towards Bray who run it even with people starting to cross, the flowers are regularly replaced. Speeding and phone use on that stretch are typical for the majority of drivers. On one occasion an eir van went straight through on red as parents were pushing a buggy across. Missed the front of the buggy by about 2cm. On the phone. I reported to Eir with footage and even footage of him on the phone and a rough speed calculation. Never even got a response, still see him driving in the locale in an Eir van so they obviously didn't give a f*ck. The roundabout in Shankill has people pulling out in front of you regularly, or overtaking as you slow down approaching it. Anyone who thinks the gardai are shooting fish in a barrel with any sort of speeding enforcement don't realise the fish are in the barrel but the gardai have so much paperwork to open the barrel that most of them have just given up even considering opening it. Got overtaken/attempted run over by a turning Quashqai at the Boghall road junction, local, on the phone, yellow plates, I was just so fed up with it I stopped before she turned into my rear wheel. I just knew as she looked down at the screen as she was talking (is this a new thing that phones are carried in front of your face but horizontally, like an extension of your chin?) that I either had to hammer it or stop. It's just all gone to sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Got overtaken/attempted run over by a turning Quashqai at the Boghall road junction, local, on the phone, yellow plates, I was just so fed up with it I stopped before she turned into my rear wheel. I just knew as she looked down at the screen as she was talking (is this a new thing that phones are carried in front of your face but horizontally, like an extension of your chin?) that I either had to hammer it or stop. It's just all gone to sh1t.

Video chatting - Facetime or WhatsApp or similar - sure you'd have to be able to see their reaction and all...

I was heading in the opposite direction last year and stopped at the lights to turn right towards Emmets.

as soon as the lights went green, A Discovery that was in the turn right lane behind me behind me just gunned the engine and over took me just as i was pulling away, obviously on the basis that his arrival two seconds earlier at the golf club was far more important than my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Got overtaken/attempted run over by a turning Quashqai at the Boghall road junction, local, on the phone, yellow plates, I was just so fed up with it I stopped before she turned into my rear wheel. I just knew as she looked down at the screen as she was talking (is this a new thing that phones are carried in front of your face but horizontally, like an extension of your chin?) that I either had to hammer it or stop. It's just all gone to sh1t.

Are you absolutely sure it was a Quashqai? There is a white UK reg VW Tiguan with serious previous for sh*t driving living off Boghall Rd. I posted footage of it on this thread before and was subsequently PMed by a user here who was victim of similar. Always a female driver and always with a space saver spare wheel.

I reported her to Revenue but she is still driving around - badly

Advertisement