Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are you absolutely sure it was a Quashqai? There is a white UK reg VW Tiguan with serious previous for sh*t driving living off Boghall Rd. I posted footage of it on this thread before and was subsequently PMed by a user here who was victim of similar. Always a female driver and always with a space saver spare wheel.

I reported her to Revenue but she is still driving around - badly

She did turn down Boghall, never copped the spacesaver, was more focused on not getting hit. It might not have been a quashqai, just that style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jeremy vine occasionally posts some corkers, but this sort of this is/was common along strand road when i was commuting. i've wondered if it's still policy to use these little islands on narrow roads.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1398579607490772995

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

CramCycle wrote: »
    At about 4:37 there is a set of pedestrian lights where a child was killed not that long ago. Every day that I meet a red there, you have cars coming towards Bray who run it even with people starting to cross, the flowers are regularly replaced. Speeding and phone use on that stretch are typical for the majority of drivers. On one occasion an eir van went straight through on red as parents were pushing a buggy across. Missed the front of the buggy by about 2cm. On the phone. I reported to Eir with footage and even footage of him on the phone and a rough speed calculation. Never even got a response, still see him driving in the locale in an Eir van so they obviously didn't give a f*ck. The roundabout in Shankill has people pulling out in front of you regularly, or overtaking as you slow down approaching it. Anyone who thinks the gardai are shooting fish in a barrel with any sort of speeding enforcement don't realise the fish are in the barrel but the gardai have so much paperwork to open the barrel that most of them have just given up even considering opening it. Got overtaken/attempted run over by a turning Quashqai at the Boghall road junction, local, on the phone, yellow plates, I was just so fed up with it I stopped before she turned into my rear wheel. I just knew as she looked down at the screen as she was talking (is this a new thing that phones are carried in front of your face but horizontally, like an extension of your chin?) that I either had to hammer it or stop. It's just all gone to sh1t.

Why aren’t the cars clamped/ticketed for repeatedly parking in the bike lane there?

Why is the surface along what must be one of the busiest bike lanes in the country not repaired?

A brilliant example of a broken infrastructure.

Would love to ask that halfwit Eamon Ryan why his Department fail year after year to put any improvements in bike arteries into the city. The current craze seems to be building dead end foot paths..

Roads around North Wicklow in general are in a bad state and when you add in the patchwork dig and replace tactics by sub contractors and a fondness of drivers to drive too close or to be distracted by phones and it’s a recipe for disaster.

ckeego wrote: »
    Why aren’t the cars clamped/ticketed for repeatedly parking in the bike lane there?
    The same reason they never finished the zebra crossing outside LIDL, no one gives a f*ck. Some mornings as you approach you can see a build up of 10 or more kids waiting to cross, so I usually take the lane and slow down to a stop. Even without the crossing, it is pretty clear what was meant to be there and its heavy traffic time, they lose nothing by stopping.
    Why is the surface along what must be one of the busiest bike lanes in the country not repaired?.
    This is actually the nice part of the commute in regards road surface, the N11 lane is worse than a gravel/CX race in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There is a white UK reg VW Tiguan with serious previous for sh*t driving living off Boghall Rd. I posted footage of it on this thread before and was subsequently PMed by a user here who was victim of similar. Always a female driver and always with a space saver spare wheel.

I reported her to Revenue but she is still driving around - badly

have you seen her since?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

ckeego wrote: »

Why is the surface along what must be one of the busiest bike lanes in the country not repaired?

A brilliant example of a broken infrastructure.

Would love to ask that halfwit Eamon Ryan why his Department fail year after year to put any improvements in bike arteries into the city. The current craze seems to be building dead end foot paths..

Roads around North Wicklow in general are in a bad state and when you add in the patchwork dig and replace tactics by sub contractors and a fondness of drivers to drive too close or to be distracted by phones and it’s a recipe for disaster.

The surface of that stretch is totally lethal. From the old Connaught junction to the roundabout I always take the lane because the left side of the road is riddled with craters

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

fryup wrote: »
    have you seen her since?

I have yes, although not recently. Usually to be seen flinging a fag out her window :rolleyes:

is she still on UK plates?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

closest one in a while. dropping down out of the naul, heading for snowtown, doing somewhere between 35 and 40. a guy in a car pulled up at the junction in front of me (he was coming from oldtown, so i had right of way), so i pulled out into the road a little just to make myself look a little more obvious; he looked up towards me, then looked left away from me and pulled out without looking back at me. i missed him by about a metre, and gave him a hell of a lungful. he shouted something back, but it could have been surprise because i do reckon he had no clue i was there. thankfully there were several other people in the car, so at least he had to deal with the embarrassment in front of some others.

then a bit later, heading southbound on the R130, a few km south of garristown, some cock in a golf passed me with maybe 50cm to spare, him doing 60 or 70km/h i'd say.

If its the one I seen, then yes, there are a few on yellow plates down the boghall. I think the funniest are the local businesses driving around on yellow plates for months with their phone numbers/emails etc. so clearly tied to the state and they get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not a near miss per se but I think what happened this morning was as bad a bit of driving as I've personally seen on an Irish road. I was with one of our club groups this morning with a few new members so we were extra careful to keep things tight and orderly in the group, our route took us up the main Naas-Blessington road through Eadestown.

Traffic wasn't too bad but as we came up to the Church on the corner at Eadestown a call came from behind "car up". I was just rounding the apex of the bend thinking to myself he'll have to wait a minute when he passed me, totally on the wrong side of the road, to be fair to him he was well away from us but he couldn't have had any visibility of what was coming down the road from Blessington.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2028779,-6.5778515,3a,75y,157.86h,84.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so-Mw1dQqLeSPJV6jScX4Wg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I was that shocked I only got the 132 KE part of his reg, a black VW passat, hardly much point going anywhere with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Black Faces Matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If its the one I seen, then yes, there are a few on yellow plates down the boghall. I think the funniest are the local businesses driving around on yellow plates for months with their phone numbers/emails etc. so clearly tied to the state and they get away with it.

Try dubinvestig@revenue.ie if you like - I got good responses from them on a couple of VRT reports in the past, though I haven't used it for a few years now.

Yes. Video of said motor on post #2393 in this thread

Due to changing laptops this got mislaid for 3.5 months. Too late to be going to the Guards with this now so if anyone has the link to Revenue to report UK reg plates with no VRT (apparently paid) I'd appreciate it here please. As this is a quiet road between Ashford and Newtownmountkennedy I was relatively certain, despite the UK plates that this was no tourist. Impatience beginning to show as soon as they approach so I moved out to the centre to ensure they stayed behing me:

As I knew they were gonig to pass regardless I had no option but to move in. The swerve as they passed dangerously showed the malice:

Then 2 weeks later I'm driving in Bray and here it is again, still on the space saver tyre. I got my son to take a still with the reg clear on it:

I've since seen it twice, still on yellow plates, in Bray. This one still rankles

Here is #2393

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Looks like they nearly lost control of the car right at the end of the second clip.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Looks like they nearly lost control of the car right at the end of the second clip.

No, that was a punishment swerve. Completely deliberate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

No, that was a punishment swerve. Completely deliberate

Oh yeah, I got that. But it looks like they nearly over corrected and fishtailed out to the right. At least I hope that's what happened and they got a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Doesn't look as bad in the video but the driver merged in on me, phone in hand, child in the back seat who I'd say I scared the sh1t out of. Sorry for the language.

I'm not a cyclist but that video is a perfect example of why I would never cycle in Ireland, and a very good example of the complete disaster that cycling infrastructure is in this country.

^^^^^^^^^

don't let that video put you off, plenty of safe roads to cycle on in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I'm not a cyclist but that video is a perfect example of why I would never cycle in Ireland, and a very good example of the complete disaster that cycling infrastructure is in this country.

I thought that it was a perfect example of why I dislike driving in Ireland. Catharsis from passing all those poor souls trapped in 4 wheeled pressure cookers on a bike is not to be underestimated.

Also, its worth remembering that the vast majority of drivers are patient, safe and give good room etc. You only ever hear about the bad ones.

Ferris wrote: »
    I thought that it was a perfect example of why I dislike driving in Ireland. Catharsis from passing all those poor souls trapped in 4 wheeled pressure cookers on a bike is not to be underestimated.

Also, its worth remembering that the vast majority of drivers are patient, safe and give good room etc. You only ever hear about the bad ones.

Thankfully that's overwhelmingly the case, it really is. I like it when I don't see this thread for a few days, means all is probably good.

I had the most pleasant 65km in the sunshine this morning with absolutely no issues whatsoever. An absolute joy

It actually vastly improves once through the roundabout, and once more, I travel it everyday, mainly without issue and feel fine, it is simply one or two drivers out of 100 who make a good day into a bad day. I must put up a full commute one day though as I am clearly so used to it it doesn't bother me, and I am biased in that I am not like many around here, while I see the benefit of cycle lanes, in all honesty, I think it just breeds excuses for poor driving in the event of an accident.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not me but I came across this example of poor driving from one of Dublin's "professional" drivers.
    Whilst the driver doesn't close pass the cyclist, it does show how there is a sense of entitlement amongst some (most?) drivers that they should have more priority over vulnerable road users.

Strangely, the drivers agression didn't actually get them further than the cyclist...

https://twitter.com/KevSheedy/status/1399811877547433988

^^^^^^^^^

don't let that video put you off, plenty of safe roads to cycle on in this country
    QFT, as i think the cool kids say.
    coming into a thread like this is like going into a thread (if one exists) on the football forum called 'tell us about your footballing injuries' which would probably put a non-footballer off ever looking at a ball.
    the cycling forum is one of the busiest sports forums on boards, but also possibly a higher active participation rate in the activity than you'd find on some other sports forums. so you'd expect to see quite a few reports here.

in short - the main enemy of the cyclist is not the motorist, it's air. we don't have enough angry threads about air in the cycling forum if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Not me but I came across this example of poor driving from one of Dublin's "professional" drivers.
    Whilst the driver doesn't close pass the cyclist, it does show how there is a sense of entitlement amongst some (most?) drivers that they should have more priority over vulnerable road users.

Strangely, the drivers agression didn't actually get them further than the cyclist...

https://twitter.com/KevSheedy/status/1399811877547433988

In fairness to that taxi driver, we was delayed for a couple of seconds from getting to that red light.

In reality, he probably wanted to get through before it changed. I guess he's one of those sh*te drivers that would think nothing of blowing though it on hard acceleration after its already gone red and people are just about to start crossing, and he was p**sed off that he got foiled from doing that someone on a bike in front of him.

Another UK police force is able to send out a clear message regarding close passes...

https://twitter.com/policescotland/status/1402226401294491651

Hopefully they get the driver and give them a duly appropriate punishment. Scum!
    https://twitter.com/SafeCyclingEire/status/1404175366755962881?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

**** sake.

Was on the road yesterday

• Advertisement

4km up the road from me, jesus.

I'd be out that way at least once a week. If I was to hazard a guess as to the spot it happened I'd say the section not long after Donore when the road bears right and then left etc before bearing left again close to the GAA pitch.

Advertisement